2GB Data Plans? WTF?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacVault, Sep 23, 2010.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

I'm just amazed that all one gets now for $25 / mo is only 2GB! Do those of you on this plan find this to be sufficient? Seems to me like I could use this amount up in the first day or two each month. What is AT&T thinking? In this day and age how can anyone charge $25 for 2GB of anything??

2. Lingham macrumors regular

I pay £40 for 1gb

Dont ever go anywhere NEAR that so god knows how you could say 2gb might not be suffiecient!!

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Had my iphone for about a month now. I have the 2gb plan, but have only used about 450mb at this point (my billing cycle ends this week).

I use web, streaming audio (stream podcasts, Last.FM, and a few others), view pictures, and some light YouTube video use.

4. JulianL macrumors 65816

Not every iPhone user is a heavy data user. I value my data connection because it means that my calendar and contacts are always in sync and iBooks on my iPhone and iPad can talk to each other so that it keeps the place in my current book synced on each device. I very occassionaly pull up a map when I'm lost, or use Google or Wikipedia to solve the odd bar argument about when a song was released or who was the drummer in some band, and occassional I use Shazam to identify a song. Beyond that I don't really use my data connection, even for email (people can call or text me if it's urgent) so I have a 250MB plan (admittedly free) and I typically use well under half of that each month.

You want expensive, I'm in the UK and because of the plan I'm on they don't have a decent roaming deal for my US trip in a couple of weeks so if I want to access the AT&T network it's going to cost me £8 (about $12) per MB (yes, I did mean MB!) so that would cost me about $24,500 for 2GB of data! Needless to say I'm going to switch off data roaming, and totally switch off all 3G data just in case the data roaming switch fails.

- Julian

5. berrytarts macrumors member

I'm charged SGD$30 a month for my mobile phone plan with unlimited messages to anyone, 100 minutes free outgoing and free incoming calls.

There is a free data bundle with it, and it's 12 GB. Anyone jealous? I guess when one telco started to introduce 12 GBs of data, all the other telcos had to follow (government thing), and thus, it has become a standard.

Come live in Singapore! hahaha. I feel weird saying that.

-Lawrence

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If that's true, then you're exactly who AT&T is targeting with this.

However, this thread explains how it might be possible to get yourself on the unlimited data plan. If it doesn't work, another method is to find a 2G iPhone and activate it, and then swap the SIM to your new iPhone.

7. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Long term, I think "by the byte" data will have a lot of advantages for consumers.

Short term, it sucks. AT&T is the only major carrier in the US doing it so the price is too high in my opinion. When VZ and the other carriers start their capped data plans, we'll likely see price pressure that brings the cost down.

8. DoorMouse macrumors member

You think that's bad- telstra in australia has browsing packs ranging from $20 for 500mb and $49 for 3gb- the largest is 9gb for $99.:eek:

9. Shield macrumors member

It's $30 for 6GB of data per month up here in the Great White North.

10. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

This will be my largest month for data usage. I'm looking at over 8GB.

With the addition of netflix that changed everything for me.

1 movie can be 500MB+

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

12. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

nope that wont work anymore. It worked back in late June when i did it for me but when i tried it for my wife a week ago that easy way was closed. I finally had to get the IMEI number from the 2g Iphone and my wifes current SIM card number. I called into ATT told them i was trying to activact a 1st Gen Iphone and the CSR changed the IMEI/UID in the system, then told me this phone needed a unlimited data plan that didnt show up in her computer, she put me on hold and came back about 5 mins later saying she needed mngr approval and finally got the unlimited data plan on her account. Two days later we upgraded her to the IP4 and unlimited was transfered over no problem.

PM me if you have any questions. It took weeks and a few different methods before this worked and getting a CSR that was willing to do some work.

13. NYDiplomat macrumors regular

My cable provider has wifi all over the place. so I'm usually on wifi. This is my 1st month with AT&T and i've used less than 100mb so far and my cycle ends on oct 5th.

14. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

+1

What in the world could you possibly be doing on your phone that would cause you to use 2 GB in 2 days?

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

2GB works just fine for me. I usually end up at around 400-500MB for the month. I don't spend all of my time glued to my iPhone.

16. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I still have the unlimited data and last month I tried to use as much data as I can... 1.2GB. I use my phone more for the Internet than my laptop and I was using Pandora all the time. Before that the most I ever used was 1GB. My data on average for the last six months is around 700MB

17. mrathee macrumors 6502

My monthly data used to be around 800-1gb (tons of work emails, dropbox, some youtube here and there)

Until netflix came out - now it soars.

luckily i have unlimited data, so its fine for me.

my ipad is the same case - was under 1 gb each month until netflix, last month I ran out of data with a week left in my cycle.. I expect that to be a recurring instance.

18. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

I've been trying really hard this month to see what I can hit.

With my phone JB, moderate Netflix use and down loading a few TV episodes i'm at 1.8gb with 9 days left on my cycle.

I have wifi everywhere so I consider this pretty impressive. I cannot understand how anyone gets to 8gb?

19. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Sooo... let me get this straight... the AT&T data plan is really only good for, say, very basic stuff, like low-intense websites, gps-to-google maps connectivity, etc. But not for netflix, hulu, or even youtube?? :mad:

20. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's all most networks can cope with.

Cellular networks simply aren't designed to handle that much data. If you want it - you'll pay for it!

21. dave420 macrumors 65816

I do a fair amount of stuff, including video chatting. I do barely go over 2GB. I think 2GB is a reasonable amount, though I will admit I'm on the unlimited plan. If you are using 2GB in a couple days you are the one AT&T is targeting with the rake hike. It sounds like Verizon will be doing the same thing though.
    (If I wasn't on the unlimited plan I would probably just use WiFi more and I wouldn't have a problem. I just like using 3G instead)

22. Solange82200 macrumors regular

Even when I dont tether with MyWi (I rarely use, it only the couple times a year I go out of town), I still use 6.7 gigs a month. My alltime high was almost 9 gigs in June, when I went out of town and tethered... I dont know if its my video podcasts that I stream on my way to work or what, but its insane. Thank god I have the unlimited data plan grandfathered in, or I would GO off!!!!!!!!!!

23. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Or you would just have to start downloading them at home and syncing them? like most people without unlimited plans have to.

24. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

in my first month of, i purchased the 2GB option. i was pretty conservative in use and i have only used 266MB with 4 hours left on my plan. i'm running a test right now to see how much data a 2 hour movie will eat.

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think there's a good chance that 2GB limit will be raised once LTE is rolled out--maybe 5GB or more. Of course, that will be a "premium" plan that'll cost $59.99.

It's still a scam though. Although 3G networks have a hard time with all the new mobile devices the 4G networks won't--yet most of the carriers will still not allow unlimited plans back once they get people used to paying for capped plans and overage. It'll work the same way as text messages which puts a trivial burden on the network -- yet the cost is 1,000 times what it should be.