2GB+Tethering - One word: SCAM!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vbman213, Jun 17, 2010.

1. vbman213 macrumors 6502

I'm no expert when it comes to cellular networking, but the logic behind the price difference between 2GB and 2GB+Tethering does not make sense! 2GB of traffic is 2GB OF TRAFFIC!, regardless if it is accessed through the iPhone or a tethered device. SCAM.

I will be saving my money and waiting for a hack.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

When a company does any service and they make a profit it off it, it's a scam.

4. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep. A text is no more than an email. Another reason why I have never paid for a texting plan. EMAIL/FACEBOOK/ETC Are all perfectly acceptable alternatives for texting.

5. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You are not being scammed when you sign a contract for service after the terms are very clearly explained to you in writing.

7. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

No, he's saying it's your choice to accept the terms or not. They're not forcing you to do anything.

9. Icarus73 macrumors regular

I pay for a texting plan because I enjoy the convenience of being able to "Send SMS". I also pay for the 2GB data plan even though I could probably stay under 200mb pretty easily, just because I like the convenience of not having to worry if I go over my limit or not.

To some it's worth it, to others it's a scam.

10. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Regardless. It's stuff like this that really does not help AT&T's PR.

I would be perfectly fine with a 2GB cap on data if they included free tethering. My phone can already do it! Why charge me for a feature of the phone, not the network.

It would be like AT&T charing for me to use the iPod app on my iPhone. A "Convenience Tax" is what it really is...

11. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

That's why I just stick to MyFi and my unlimited plan.

2GB + Tethering is not a scam, but definitely a ripoff.

12. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Then don't do it. AT&T is not forcing you to. If you don't like their tethering plan, then go to another company and get an iPhone there.

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I don't think you know what a scam is. You are clearly informed about what the contract entails.

14. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

Hey, in their eyes its all about making $$$. Honestly if you were in their shoes wouldnt you be doing the same? Im not siding with at&t here, im just saying. And it's not just at&t, every business is like this. Well big business at least. They could honestly care less about the individual consumers. Because the majority of people will still be paying for whatever product or service theyre offering. Its the power that corrupts the minds of people in big business. All they are after is money money money. It's pretty sad too because think about it... whoevers in charge is just rolling in the dough and theres no way they will spend it all before they die. That money will just be passed down or whatever, but essentially mean nothing to that person in particular. They are making money just for the sake of making money and they will do anything to get it. And that's also why they make you sign a contract - one that is especially pricey to make your way out of...

/rant over

15. kokesh macrumors regular

? He is right. A scam is when someone is trying to pull one over on you. You clearly understand that you're paying extra for the service of tethering and that you aren't actually getting extra bandwidth. It's a ripoff, yes, but it isn't a scam since you know what you're getting into when you sign up for it. Just because thelatinist understands this doesn't make him on AT&T's side. Hell I don't think any of us are on AT&T's side.

16. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

is myfi for jailbroken phones?

17. iphone1027 macrumors 6502

Yes. It's an application you can obtain if you JB your phone.

18. JaredVegas macrumors member

Agreed using Myfi and the unlimited myself

Hoping the iPhone $ will be able to be jailbroken at launch or soon after I will miss that program.

19. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know exactly what a scam is. I also understand that by signing a contract you are agreeing to the terms of said contract. Therefore, negating it being a "scam"

Regardless, it's crap!

20. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

There's MiFi from Verizon and MyWi for jailbroken phones. No idea what myfi is.

21. alanlau007 macrumors member

Beside Tethering, $39.99 450min talk plan sucks too.
    I have to choose this plan if I want to use iPhone on AT&T network.
    Where's the $29.99 plan? I barely use 100min a month.

22. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I kept my unlimited data plan for now. I will probably just jailbreak later if I want to tether...

sms fees..... yeah- wow. A sms is basically a page. Way overpriced but, hey I like to text so I pay the price.

23. Resist macrumors 68030

I totally agree AT&T's tethering and text plans are a scam, I will never pay for them. I already pay $30 a month for an unlimited data plan! Tethering and Text should be included in the data plan.

So for texting I use the Textfree Unlimited app, it is free. They give you a real phone number now, and all texting incoming and outgoing through it are free. It is just like the native Message app on the iPhone, except with more sounds and backgrounds. Textfree doesn't do MMS right now but they are adding it soon.

Not sure if I want to jail brake my iphone for tethering, mainly because the 3G network for my area is very slow. During the day I am lucky to get .5MB and at night I get around 1.5MB downloads. I guess if I had no other option it would be fast enough. But I will not pay for this service!

24. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Communist :D