2nd computer imac or macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tim2006, Sep 10, 2009.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

I am looking to add a second computer. I have a 17 macbook pro. I was either going to get a 13 macbook pro or a 24inch imac. My wife and I would use the machine for photos, itunes, email, word docs, and web. I would continue to maintain my 17inch macbook pro too.

1) is having 2 notebooks dumb and duplicate?
    2) do people still buy desktop computers, I am sure apple sells way more notebooks than desktops, who is still buying desktops?
    3) will the imac get a led screen at macworld?

I am not interested in making a notebook a desktop with an external monitor.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Since, in my opinion, the 17" is basically not all that portable then the 13" may not be a bad idea. If you're adding a second computer to just have two then yes, perhaps two notebooks are silly. However, if both you and your wife want/need one then I'd say the 13" MBP may be a nice idea except you may find the screen to be too small coming from a 17". I personally would get an iMac, a desktop to compliment my notebook but then again my notebooks aren't the size of some desktop displays. ;)

What is happening at MacWorld? No one knows and anyone telling you differently is full of crap. Speculation can be made, guesses can be formed but I know for a fact that no one knows. No one knows for a fact what will happen. Get my drift?

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

definitely the iMac if it were shared for you and your wife - you keep it in a neutral office somewhere or living area. it could become your media powerhouse if you wanted it to be; what does portability have to do with it if you are already rocking a MBP?! :confused:

4. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point. She spends very little time on a computer. She had an imac that she liked in the past. I am more of a notebook guy (thats what I would get) I would love to add a ultra thin 13inch. I dont know how smart it is to have 2 new mbps (unless she was going to heavily use one).

5. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Actually I do know what Apple is going to do at MacWorld, and it's nothing. They no longer attend MacWorld so don't expect any products to be announced. Apple works on their own schedule now and does not have to feel the pressure of pumping out a new product every January. So you see I do know.

6. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

when do you think they will update the imac or macbook air?

7. igorleandro macrumors member

Well, firstly, lets look at prices and what you get for it. The lowest cost MBP against iMac:
    Price: $1199, for both
    Processor: MBP 2.26GHz, iMac 2.66GHz
    Capacity: MBP 160Gb 5400RPM, iMac 320Gb 7200RPM
    Screen: MBP 13", iMac 20"

If you buy an iMac, you get more than 10% processing power, TWICE the storage on a faster drive, since the MBP disk is slower (the RPM thing, if you want, let me know and I'll explain), AND you get a MUCH BIGGER screen.

So, unless there is a need for mobility, or if you have constant power outages and is afraid to loose your work, I would go for the iMac. ;)

I have a 13" Macbook and got an iMac. I'm using the iMac all the time, and the Macbook, despite having all my personal information, is just sitting there sharing my iTunes. I just can't work on it anymore against this big 24" display. It IS impressive.

Also, I'm a fan of regular keyboard and mouse, and since I type rather fast, and also like to play games, there is absolutely no comparison.

Last but not least, if you store movies in your iTunes, you'll probably find the extra 160Gb that you would have in your iMac much more comforting. My iTunes takes 130Gb itself, so... :p

Happy shopping! :D

8. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I love my imac, when im editing photos or just looking at my large itunes library its much easier to do it on a 20 inch screen than a 13. Yes the imac sells well but its a nice looking all in one and not some ugly pc box :)

10. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

Yes, they are. Obviously Apple is selling a boatload of MacBooks and MacBook Pros, but there is a considerable amount of people still buying desktops–whether it be an iMac for home or work or a Mac mini for converts or home theater purposes. I, for example, have a Mac mini for my HDTV to play media and a 13" MPB for portability and being my PRIMARY computer because I'm a college student in photography. With that said, if I were not in college I'd own a 24" iMac (considering it now, actually).

If I get to the point where I NEED A GREAT DISPLAY or MORE POWER to edit photos, I'd either:
    keep my MBP and get a high quality display OR
    upgrade to the best 13" laptop at the moment and still get the display OR
    go all out and get a 24" iMac AND keep my MBP AND worry about getting the display later.

I love the 13.3" MBP. The only way I'd get an iMac is if I wasn't a student and or would keep the MBP to be portable and the iMac for primary use.

11. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Obviously or apple wouldn't still be selling them. I personally would not swop my iMac for a MBP. I would consider buying a MBP in addition to my iMac, but I love desktops and to be honest I don't really like laptops. Plus they are cheaper.

12. Hamster747 macrumors newbie

Well if the second computer would be used by both you and your partner why not buy a desktop. It could be used as a media hub and what not. Unless One laptop is for work and the other laptop is for personal use then maybe by another laptop, but if its not for work would you carry two laptops around everywhere?

Let us know what you decided anyway and good luck! ;)

13. dba7dba macrumors 6502

If buying an imac is an option, I'd recommended it. I used to use laptop only, all day. Than I got an imac. What I noticed is that imac doesn't slow down towards the end of day because of heat issue, which my macbooks experience.

Strongly recommend imac.

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

clearly people who want bigger screens but don't want to use an external monitor with a notebook are still buying desktops

15. tim100 macrumors 65816

imac is not the best screen its not led like the macbook pro.

16. tim100 macrumors 65816

apples sells products that dont sell well look at the macbook air

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

tell us the truth now....she wants the imac but you want the smaller notebook cuz it's a lot of fuss to carry around the 17" mbp :p

18. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I am aware of screen issue. But I'd love the extra power, screen size, and beauty of the iMac. Apple's LED displays are nice, large, and better than the display of the iMac. I would recommend it to anyone with a newer Mac. I'd prefer that to the display of the iMac. It'd be awesome if the iMac's had them. But what I meant about display I am talking about a display more suited for photography (i.e. NEC). Even though I don't need it now Apple's LED is the next best option for any NON-PHOTO tasks. But no need for an iMac and an Apple LED.

So maybe in the future: 13.3" MBP + 24" iMac + NEC display.

19. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If it didn't make a profit they wouldn't be selling them. However we were talking about the iMac which at the moment is Apple's biggest seller.

20. tim100 macrumors 65816

I dont believe the imac is outselling the macbook pro (umb before the name change)

21. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

It is in the apple store.

22. tim100 macrumors 65816

yea I saw that but I read some where that apple sells 60% notebooks and 40% desktops. macbook and macbook pro are seperated, I dont know the math does not seem to add up.

the other negative thing about the imac is no led, come on apple.

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

This really shouldn't matter to you though. If you need a desktop, buy a desktop. Who cares what other people are buying?

If I was in your position, I would personally opt for the 13" mbp. There's really nothing you're going to be doing that it can't handle (heck even a basic white macbook would do fine, but I understand the desire for a sleeker machine) and I personally don't care for desktops because they are far less flexible, even if only for home use.

Not to mention the fact that the 13" notebook is well sized for traveling. I mean, sure, the 17" is still "portable" but the 13" is far more compact and is much easier to take with you on a flight or even when driving in a car.

Plus, whenever you have one notebook and one desktop, you will invariably have situations when both of you will want to use the notebook. Might as well be proactive and deal with that issue ahead of time. :)

24. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

The iMac is the #1 Mac sold on the Apple online store. However, notebooks make up 2/3 of Apple's total computer sales according to Apple's last quarter earnings report.

25. coolbreeze macrumors 68000