Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstgkillr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
The first RMBP that I received had 10 dead pixels... The replacement that I received today has two eraser sized pressure marks!

Should I try a third time or just return it for a refund and try again in a year or so after the next revision?

joer80

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
Mine was flawless. Could be karma. Go give a homeless dude some money and try again?!

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I'd give it another try before requesting the money back. If even that comes out to have a defect, you must have a terrible luck. :)

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
I would return it and perhaps order one online, or ask for one from another batch ( least a large margin on box serial numbers ) to try and exclude a bad batch.

Don't give up though :apple:

TickleMeElmo

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2012
Try again. Chances that you'll get another lemon are pretty low.

The chance he will get another lemon is equal to the chance that his first or second ones were lemons, which is pretty low but you seem to imply that because he got two bad computers he has a lower chance of getting a defective one as a result.

Herrow

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Karma....out of 6 machines in the past 10 years...flawless screens....even refurbs :)

mstgkillr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
Now I am really pissed... Apple won't send a replacement for a replacement!

I have three options...

1. Deal with it.

2. Return it to Apple's Engineering department for inspection. After it is inspected which can take several weeks they will send out a replacement.

3. Return it for a refund which will take several days to post to my credit card. After the refund posts to my credit card I can place a brand new order and wait another 3-4 weeks for delivery.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Mine was flawless. Could be karma. Go give a homeless dude some money and try again?!

tumblr_m68kba5bIg1qf2dlx.gif

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Try again. Chances that you'll get another lemon are pretty low.

It's the same chance every time. You can't calculate off prior statistics. If you were doing the math for getting a good unit going forward "within" 3 tries, that would make more sense.

3. Return it for a refund which will take several days to post to my credit card. After the refund posts to my credit card I can place a brand new order and wait another 3-4 weeks for delivery.

I would opt for number 3. They've dropped estimates to 2-3 weeks at this point. It's likely that this will continue to drop.

deerfaced

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
I'm just about to send mine back for ghosting... really gutted to hear that they won't do another replacement as I was already starting to worry that no. 2 will be another duffer.

Argh.

mstgkillr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I'm just about to send mine back for ghosting... really gutted to hear that they won't do another replacement as I was already starting to worry that no. 2 will be another duffer.

Argh.

I took a break and spoke to someone else... A replacement is in the works. Hopefully it will go through.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
The first RMBP that I received had 10 dead pixels... The replacement that I received today has two eraser sized pressure marks!

Should I try a third time or just return it for a refund and try again in a year or so after the next revision?

I agree with everyone else give it one more shot and go from there. It seems like there's a lot of lemons BUT most people only come to this forum for problems they're having so the few defects there are all seem to come up on Macrumors. If they fail on try 3, wait a couple months and get one in store so you can inspect and return on the spot if needed.

Rocky244

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
The chance he will get another lemon is equal to the chance that his first or second ones were lemons, which is pretty low but you seem to imply that because he got two bad computers he has a lower chance of getting a defective one as a result.

It's the same chance every time. You can't calculate off prior statistics. If you were doing the math for getting a good unit going forward "within" 3 tries, that would make more sense.

lol @ the trololol, stats arguments really?

alright, well if you two are gonna be a$$es - Actually the chance the third will be a lemon is NOT equal to the first/second being a lemon. It IS actually lower because he got two bad computers in a row. I say this not on the merits of conditional probability, as you are correct that past independent events do not effect future outcomes, HOWEVER, you are overlooking the fact that there is NO replacement of this population. MORE PRECISELY, there are in fact two less defective computers out there for the OP to select from. THEREFORE, the chance the OP gets a third defective computer is, in fact, slightly lower.

suck it

Hrim

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
I have a creaking, sleep-bugged and case-scratched-on-arrival macbook. Yet the screen is perfect and I can't find any issue with the display. Makes me wonder if I should accept to have, at least, avoided the worst possible issue...

Also, I'd got crazy if I had to wait 3 weeks for the replacement, only to find out that it has another problem (hello dead pixel)...

TickleMeElmo

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2012

alright, well if you two are gonna be a$$es - Actually the chance the third will be a lemon is NOT equal to the first/second being a lemon. It IS actually lower because he got two bad computers in a row. I say this not on the merits of conditional probability, as you are correct that past independent events do not effect future outcomes, HOWEVER, you are overlooking the fact that there is NO replacement of this population. MORE PRECISELY, there are in fact two less defective computers out there for the OP to select from. THEREFORE, the chance the OP gets a third defective computer is, in fact, slightly lower.

suck it

The sample size of Retina Macbook Pros is large enough where one can ignore issues such as replacement. Yes such generalizations can and should be made when creating simple statistical models.

Regardless that's not what it looked liked your post implied (and I'm not saying that is explicitly what you wanted to convey). It looked as though you were stating that because he got two faulty machines there was a significantly lower chance of getting a faulty third one.

Honestly though, the chance of getting a faulty machine are pretty low and the OP is more unlucky than anything else.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

suck it

I wasn't being an ass. You're just trolling a valid response. They ship these things in large numbers from a supply that is quickly refreshed. Returning 2 machines will not do much to vet the supply of shipping units, especially when we don't know their pass or fail tolerance during assembly and inspection. I never bother ordering bleeding edge products the day they come out. I'll probably pick up one of these in a future revision.

hiohokaybye

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
I just received my RMBP today, and I got a hairline scratch mark (around 1cm) on the screen itself (not the glass/outside cover) I called applecare, they redirected me to 3 different local stores, asked them, and got redirect back. Then I complained about that, they let me talk to a senior advisor, he's sending me a new one and I can keep this current one in the meantime, he was super nice and helpful:)

Maybe call and ask for help from a senior advisor?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.