2nd Gen iPhone Camera Quality?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rxse7en, May 27, 2008.

1. rxse7en macrumors 6502

rxse7en

Has anyone seen anything on what the new iPhone's camera will be capable of? I've been pretty happy with the 2mp cam, but would prefer something a little more comparable to my Canon point and shoot.

B

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

What I've done is used "duct tape" (since it matches the chrome bezel) to combine the iPhone technology with my Canon G9 digital camera and "poof!" I look at this thing of beauty and it brings tears to my eyes! LOL :p:D

3. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i don't care.....just so long as you can RECORD VIDEO, i'll be a happy, happy camper.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

although i seriously doubt apple is going to switch from its 2mp camera, you can bet your sweet ass there will actually be more software enabled functions such as video capturing.:apple:

5. neven macrumors 6502a

No specific rumors yet about improved quality, but I think everyone's expecting faster performance and better low-light images at the very least. Built-in iSights have been improving since they were first introduced, though even the newest ones (in the Air) aren't exactly fantastic.

6. bmh16 macrumors regular

Why, if they want to compete with the other mobile phones they will need to upgrade the camera, don't understand the logic in not :confused:

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I got some halfway decent photos from mine in a dimly-lit restaurant last week. Pretty good considering the camera has no flash (which I don't see happening until perhaps LEDs can be used due to size). I'm spoiled with an SLR that I took to the same place. :)

I would love some video recording just because I figured out how to get stuff on Facebook. I'm pretty sure the camera in there now could do it (you get a real-time preview of what you're taking still pictures of, which looks a helluva lot like a video feed). I'm guessing the problem could be size because iMovie is nuts about the size of any video I import. Hopefully there will be quality settings that keep about 5 minutes of video under, say, 100MB.

On the same line of thinking, add voice recording! I would be so excited if I didn't need my seperate voice recorder when doing interviews. Hoo-ah.

8. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I see them keeping the 2Mp camera with an improved lens maybe and software to compliment this change.

I can build a really crappy 10Mp camera and get better quality (to the human eye) from a 2Mp quality camera.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The number of pixels in an image really doesn't matter past 3 or 4MP for most amateur users. A lot of camera-makers have jacked up the MP number on the camera because that's the easiest to "fool" buyers into thinking it's a better camera. Things like shutter speed and the optical zoom lens (not digital zoom) matter more once you past that point.

Anywho, unless there's a way to add a flash to the camera, I don't see it being much better. It's just meant for taking simple photos while out and about. It's not meant to be a primary digital camera.

10. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I would hope for at least 3.2 MP, if not 5.

Also, video recording and autofocus are necessary.

11. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Wouldn't auto focus mean that there's two movable lens in the phone? Do other phones have that? I have no idea. =/

12. neven macrumors 6502a

No, yes, no. Willing to bet you on that :)

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

not really, the STANDARD in cellphone cameras right now is the lowly 1.3 MP.

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

t, ftfy.

Minimum ≠ standard.

15. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Well my 3 year old Sony Ericsson K750i has autofocus, so it is definitely possible.

16. rxse7en thread starter macrumors 6502

rxse7en

I don't mind the 2mp size, I think I would prefer better glass than more capture. The only telltale sign that screams "CAMERA PHONE" is the amount of CA in the shots. Better glass and we'd be onto something.

I've actually taken to leaving the Canon SD1000 at home when I want to just take fun shots and lug the D70 for the money shots.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

the majority of cameras (yes including the ones they give away) have 1.3 MP. majority makes the standard.

18. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I wondered why not many have discussed this. Other phones already have GPS and 3G (Sprint phones). The one thing Apple can do to trump all other devices is to make the camera better.

I doubt it will happen, but it will be a huge plus if they can improve the quality of the pictures that come out.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

especially given the iphones massive screen, that would be awesome.

i still dont understand why the photos you put on the touch/iphone arent full resolution given apples amazing pinch zooming

20. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I really want video recording. A 3.2MP or even a 5MP camera wouldn't be bad either.:D

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Because it would be a massive waste of space for a device with very limited storage. I have a few hundred photos on mine that take up very little space. I don't need 2MB files on my phone. If I need to take them somewhere, I can just export them to a flash drive.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

well i guess it applies more to the touch then

23. Mankin5344 macrumors member

Phones are for Quick Snapshots not 8x10 portraits. So if they do upgrade it will be minimal.

24. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

My one year old SonyEricsson P1i has a 3.2MP w/ autofocus and flash on the back, plus a front facing cam, 3G, WiFi... and SonyEricsson's engineers are retarded, so... the notion that similar specs are considered too futuristic or advanced for the iPhone 2.0 would hurt my feelings if I worked in Cupertino.

25. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

I dont care about more megapixels, just better sensor, I think iphone camera is great in well-lit conditions, maybe a bigger aperture so the shutter speed can be quicker, so no more blurry images. Dont be fooled by megapixels, Ive seen a lot worse 5mp pics than my iphones 2mp.