2nd Generation Touch ID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Richy23, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Richy23 macrumors 6502

I've seen Touch ID (Gen 2) as a feature of the new 6s & 6s Plus.. but what is different? Is it just that it's more reliable etc?

Just asking our of interest, thanks! :)

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

Looked insanely fast in the 6s intro video. They literally just quickly touched the home button and it unlocked.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

It's supposed to be faster and I assume more reliable. But given that the TouchID on my 6 works in about half a second and I can probably count the number of misreads I've experienced in the last 10 months on one hand, it's certainly not something that I've felt needs improvement.

5. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Touch ID never works for me. Scan a finger print and it works for a few hours then a few days it never works. My only guess is if you wash your hands or have any marks on the phone button it doesn't work. It's a gimmick feature. The future is being able to swipe and unlock the phone minus a button.

6. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

Touch ID is a gimmick feature? I think not

7. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

I got lucky with a 5S that has a pretty flawless TouchID sensor. Didn't even have the problems that many were having in the beginning. The only time it fails is when I'm off and only half covering the sensor.

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

So you're suggesting that all the countless people that it works for (myself included) never wash our hands? Washing your hands shouldn't obscure your fingerprints.

I'm the first to call out something gimmicky, but TouchID is actually really convenient (provided that it works reliably for you, which it seems to for most people). It's the one feature that I take advantage of literally every time I use my phone.

9. iRebound macrumors regular

I think you did not scan your fingers correctly. The only time Touch ID doesn't work is when my prints get wet.

10. DustinDev47 macrumors 6502

DustinDev47

I got fingerprinted the other day and was told I should not have wiped my sweaty hand on my pants, and that the fingerprint machine operator would prefer my fingers be moist in order to get good prints.

I am only telling you all this because maybe it has something to do with Touch ID being problematic.

11. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

Last time I was at the DMV it was the exact opposite, fingers had to be perfectly dry otherwise they couldn't get a good print. The only time TouchID fails for me is if my fingers are wet/sweaty.

12. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Notice when my hands are just washed the touchID would be some what problamatic, not to the point where it was a real issue. Just had to dry the hands a bit more or wait a few moments

13. b1scu1t macrumors regular

In fact, I would encourage you to register a wet finger as one of your touchid choices, you do get 5 unique entries to be stored, you should then be set.

14. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I think Touch ID has improved since iOS 9 for me.. I don't know what's planned for iPhone 6S but response on my iPhone 5S has gotten much quicker for touch ID, and much more reliable. It worked properly most the time before, but it seems like things have really been kicked up a notch

15. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

I assume either your hand or the phone button is dirty. Easy fix.

16. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Try setting up Touch ID again, but instead of touching with the very tips of you fingers, use the flat part (about half a cm down from the very top). It will work much better.

17. AintDutchNotMuch macrumors regular

AintDutchNotMuch

It's definitely not a gimmick feature in my opinion. Quite the contrary, it's one of the most useful features to me. Of course, when you're fingers or the home button is wet / dirty, it won't work. Also when not registered correctly in the first place.

In normal circumstances when I put my fingers on the home button in the correct way, it will work 99 out of 100 times. It's fast and reliable, love it on my 6.

18. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

95% of the time I use my right hand thumb to activate the touch ID.

I scanned my thumb as 3 different fingers, from all different angles so it has many variations in memory to choose from. I scanned my left thumb and right hand index finger a for the remaining fingerprints.

Works great!

19. DustinDev47 macrumors 6502

DustinDev47

You had to get fingerprinted at the DMV?!

20. tworth23 macrumors regular

Something must be wrong with your phone. It's far from a gimmick. My Touch ID works all the time. Maybe hasn't less than 5 times since sept 14. Get your phone checked out.

21. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I have really difficult to read fingerprints - when I've been fingerprinted via ink, digital, and the scanner at Universal, all have a hard time getting a good scan. The TouchID V1 did a pretty solid job, and that was with little use (group dev device so I didn't use it full time). I'm really excited to see how much better this new implementation is, especially for me.

22. dojoman macrumors 65816

Right it's gimmick because it doesn't work for you. Dumbest comment.

23. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

I did exactly this, and it vastly improved things. It's nearly flawless now. I love Touch ID.

24. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

They scan your fingerprint and take your picture for facial recognition. At least in Colorado they do.

25. DustinDev47 macrumors 6502

DustinDev47

That's interesting! I didn't get fingerprinted when I got my license. I've done it twice because I'm a police applicant and both times it has been LiveScan, so that may have something to do with the moisture requirement.