2nd Hard Drive in 2009 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gobenji, Apr 29, 2019.

1. gobenji macrumors member

Hello everyone,
    I'm trying to get some advice on a repair I'm planning following a hard drive failure on my 2009 iMac.
    While I've got it open I'm going to replace the optical drive with an SSD but I'm having some trouble finding the right caddy. I'm needing to get this done as soon as I can so am looking for ones available with UK Amazon Prime. The one I nearly got was a 9.5mm Macbook one, assuming they were all the same. After realising the one I needed was 12.7mm the only ones I can find on there mention being specific for Windows laptops.
    I just wondered, does anyone know if this is just a generic part and any 12.7mm-2.5mm caddy would fit in a 2009 iMac or is it just a question that mounting holes are different? Any help would be gratefully received as I'm really confusing myself here!

2. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

3. gobenji thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Thats great... I was hoping it was something as simple as that.

4. Kevbasscat macrumors regular

Kevbasscat

Why not just use a strong two sided tape? I've heard of many others who used this method without issue, since it's not going to be traveling everyday. I have a an early 2009 24" iMac opened now, and that's my plan for under the optical drive. I'm hoping to leave the optical drive in and use it, but haven't figured that out yet.

5. gobenji thread starter macrumors member

I must admit I wondered that... If the screw mounts didn't quite fit that was going to be first on my solution list. The only think that made me wonder was would it lose adhesion if it gets hot but I presume SSDs don't get that hot and, as you say, it's not going to be moving much!

6. Kevbasscat macrumors regular

Kevbasscat

I know of a couple friends who've done this with the new generation of ssd's and lets be honest. We're not using these vintage Macs for gaming or other intensive apps, so the probability of the ssd getting hot from use is low. I mean even if transferring large amounts of data, depending on whether it's a 9,1 early 09, satta 2, or mid-late 10,1 satta 3, it still isn't pushing. much data to cause heat issues. It fits nicely under the optical disc drive also.

Does anyone know if it's possible to fusion 2 ssd's and keep the disc drive operable also?