2nd time's a charm? Apple Store Visit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smallnshort247, Jan 25, 2011.

1. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Hey guys,

I've been having problems with my MBP. It usually kernel panics at least once a week. This has been going on for 5-6 months now. I took it to the Apple store around mid December 2010. They said the issue could be due to the 8GB of RAM I installed or because of some type of system file error. Their advice was to either do a clean install or that the RAM was just defective. So I did the clean install and about 7 days later I had 3 kernel panics within 1 day. I assumed since I did the clean install, maybe the RAM I installed was actually defective even though I thought I remembered my MBP having kernel panics before me even opening up the case. So I contacted Crucial and used my 1yr limited warranty bc I thought the RAM was defective. I should be getting new RAM in another 2 weeks from them. Only problem is that I had another Kernel Panic today even with the stock RAM inside. I called the Apple Store right after and told them what happened so I now have another appointment tomorrow.

My question is, what are the chances they will declare my MBP "defective" or a lemon and possibly give me a whole new machine? Nothing is physically wrong with my MBP, its in great physical condition, its just that I'm considering selling it to buy a Mac Pro. If Apple gave me a new MBP, I could get a lot more for a brand new not opened MBP.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

None. They will take it in for repairs and swap in a new Logic Board. Then hand it back to you. No need for an entire new machine.

3. smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Thanks. Well I'll take it. I'd rather them do that than say they don't know what to do and send me back home.

4. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

update please my friend ish aving this issue too