2TB HDD Raid 0 (2 x 1TB) possible on a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Legind, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Legind macrumors newbie

As the title says. I'm thinking of purchasing a macbook pro, but I want to know if I could buy seperate HDDs to place so I can have 2TB of space, can anyone clarify if this is possible or not? Thanks! :)

2. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

1 in HD bay. 1 in the CD/DVD bay with adapter. So yes it is possible.

3. Legind thread starter macrumors newbie

can more people confirm? im basing my decision to buy a new macbook solely on this. :)

4. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Maximum of two HDDs in a MBP, meaning both your drives would have to be in the RAID0. Why would you want to do that?

5. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

You can also do a RAID 1 with two drives ;)

EDIT: And raid 0 is useful to have higher speeds without having either the high price of a high-capacity SSD, or the small capacity of cheap SSDs.

6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Well yeah, but 0 and 1 are totally different.

7. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

isnt it all software based guys? Ive never seen those as what Id want to use

8. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I know. But the guy wants to do a RAID with two drives, you answer that a RAID 0 isn't interesting... :confused:There is one option left, and it is the RAID 1.

9. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

You might want to check if an optibay can support the 1tb in terms of physical size. I believe 1Tb drives are 12mm where as a normal one is 9.5mm. Those sizes could be completely wrong but there might be a constraint.

10. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

He specifically says RAID 0, but with two drives RAID 0 is really pointless as the risk of data loss is quite large. Never said it wasn't interesting. You need at least 3 HDDs for RAID0 to be worth it.

11. Legind thread starter macrumors newbie

Raid 1 would be fine as well, as long as I can have 2 x 1TB on my macbook im fine, I just want to know if its possible and if so where can I order the parts?

12. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

RAID just isn't a good idea with two HDDs.

13. noire anqa macrumors regular

RAID0 is a fine idea with 2 drives, 3 drives doesn't make RAID0 any more reliable - only faster. As long as you backup your data on an external drive there's no real problem. 2 drives in RAID0 is not much different from having a single drive in your machine. If your single drive fails, you still need an external backup from which to restore, and you still suffer the downtime whilst the drive is replaced under warranty and your data is restored to it. If a drive fails in your RAID0 array the downtime is exactly the same, as is the process of recovery.

RAID1 in a laptop isn't as useful as you might think. Sure you have a mirror of your data .. but it's in the same physical location - thats not a great backup. It's only really useful if you can't afford your laptop to go down, EVER. In which case RAID1 provides that redundancy - but you only have 1TB of usable space and you still need an external backup.

Your real consideration here is that you're only able to do a software RAID. You increase your disk performance (in RAID0) at the expense of CPU cycles ..
    You'll be constantly sacrificing some processor speed and associated battery life. Personally, i'd say you're much better off buying an SSD for your boot volume and applications, and using the other slot for a 1TB HDD. You'd get your speed boost without sacrificing processor cycles and also improve battery life at the same time. The 1TB HDD can be used to store all your stuff, and since it's independent from the boot drive it'll run a bit faster as the OS won't be loading apps from it, prefs from it, or paging to it.

P.S: you can also buy an external usb enclosure for your old optical drive and run it MBA stylee. also, watch out for the 9.5mm limit - make sure to buy both a drive AND an optical drive adapter within those constraints. I'm actually about to sell an adapter built for the job as well as enclosure for the SuperDrive on eBay, however i'm in the UK so it's probably not that useful to you.

14. seong macrumors 65816

seong

YES IT IS POSSIBLE, AND YOU'LL NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS UNLESS YOU USE OPTICAL DRIVE A LOT

Had to clarify on that point.
    So, if you want to have two internal HDDs to be installed on your computer, one should be in the original space (where the HDD is originally installed), and one should be in Optical Drive (as many of other users said).

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/
    http://osxdaily.com/2010/05/19/install-an-ssd-into-the-optical-drive-slot-on-a-macbook-pro/

You might have to order this from Amazon or somewhere. It's very easy to install.

15. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Currently all 1TB notebook drives are 12.5 mm thick. All MBPs except the 17" MBP can only fit 9.5 mm drives; the 17" MBP can hold 2 12.5 mm drives, I believe.

Also, the 9.5 mm notebook hard drive with the greatest capacity that I've seen was 750 GB.

16. man02195 macrumors regular

I believe you're wrong, and not sure where you got that info, my 15" mbp has a 1tb 12.5mm hard drive in it...

17. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yeah I think all the Uni MBP support the 12.5mm drives. However, for my money I'd take the new Seagate ST9750420AS 7200rpm 750GB 9.5mm drive. Supposed to be available within 2 weeks.

Also, since there's no raid controller in the MBP wouldn't any raid be software-based and therefore slower?

Cheers,

18. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

+1

Together with a SSD in the optical bay for OS and Apps, though. It's faster than the RAID0 would be.

19. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Software RAID is still faster then no RAID. I'm using software RAID on the iMac and it's a lot faster then with a single drive.

20. nwbusa macrumors regular

Incorrect.

21. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

Every Windows motherboard you see with a "raid" controller is software raid, it's just software loaded by the BIOS of the card, it' not a real hardware raid. A hardware RAID controller is very expensive, if motherboards came with a real hardware raid controller they would be 1k plus. Also I would rather have the Momentus XT over just another 7200 RPM drive

22. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

23. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

I think the author means that only the 17" supports 12.5 mm drives in the optical bay, which is true. The 15" or 13" will only support 9.5 mm

24. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

That was true in the non-uniboby models but many people on this forum have installed the thicker drives on the uMBPs

Cheers,

25. Legind thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just looking for a straight up answer, a Yes, or a No.