Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Hey guys… I'm interested in buying a new 17" macbook pro, when they upgrade some of the specs in the coming weeks… But I couldn't wait to start the forum, to get the discussion rolling.

The 17" MacBook pro supports a 12.5mm hard drive, which means it can hold a 1TB hard drive. But, can I use the MCE optibay to add a second 12.5mm drive? Does the optibay allow a 12.5mm drive? Can I get 2TB into a MacBook Pro?

You can....but really wouldn't make a lot of sense. Better off with some 256gb USB flash drives. Yeah they are costly now but I have two and love them.

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
I see his point. I'm a musician and often on the move. Currently I lug a desktop everywhere with me with 2x 1TB drives, so will be getting a new MBP soon. If you are a musician of video editor type person you can easily use HDD space. A decent softsynth with lots of samples can rinse 100GB. Have a few of those and a load of songs with uncompressed full quality audio and you're full. I want to get an optibay too when I get the MBP, as external drives are ok, but I want my samples with me all the time for editing/writing on the fly, but also don't want additional external drives balanced on the top of my guitar rack, and another thing to plug in/stop working!

My problem is I want 2x 7200rpm drives as HDD access speed will limit song size/complexity. What are the biggest 7200rpms atm that'll fit in a 9.5" optibay? How about the internal space on a 17"? Is that still 12mm in the latest unibody? Lots of speed and lots of space are the order of the day (but SSD's are still far too expensive size for buck).

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I see his point. I'm a musician and often on the move. Currently I lug a desktop everywhere with me with 2x 1TB drives, so will be getting a new MBP soon. If you are a musician of video editor type person you can easily use HDD space. A decent softsynth with lots of samples can rinse 100GB. Have a few of those and a load of songs with uncompressed full quality audio and you're full. I want to get an optibay too when I get the MBP, as external drives are ok, but I want my samples with me all the time for editing/writing on the fly, but also don't want additional external drives balanced on the top of my guitar rack, and another thing to plug in/stop working!

My problem is I want 2x 7200rpm drives as HDD access speed will limit song size/complexity. What are the biggest 7200rpms atm that'll fit in a 9.5" optibay? How about the internal space on a 17"? Is that still 12mm in the latest unibody? Lots of speed and lots of space are the order of the day (but SSD's are still far too expensive size for buck).

Current fastest laptop hard drive: 500GB 7200RPM
Current largest laptop hard drive: 1TB 5200RPM
> Current largest 9.5mm laptop hard drive: 640GB 5200/5400RPM (There's 2 models of this)
> Current largest 12.5mm laptop hard drive: 1TB 5200RPM

Sebastianmonty

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2008
Does anyone know what kind of speeds 2x750GB(we will just use this 9.5mm height until we know if the Optibay caters for a 12.5mm height(whihc I don't think so as it adds extra metal) 5400/5200rpm drives will get in RAID 0?

In short,
2x 750GB 5400rpm in RADI 0 speeds?
2x 500GB 7200rpm in RAID 0 speeds?
Do you think an average SSD, say Kingston, and a 750GB 5400rpm drive would be faster in general use of using a program(I know the SSD for startups is faster and the 750GB for data is slower and that they aren't RAID 0 they are different discs)?

The information is hard to find. I have googled and got no where.

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Current fastest laptop hard drive: 500GB 7200RPM
Current largest laptop hard drive: 1TB 5200RPM
> Current largest 9.5mm laptop hard drive: 640GB 5200/5400RPM (There's 2 models of this)
> Current largest 12.5mm laptop hard drive: 1TB 5200RPM

7200RPM is slow enough. 5200?! That's a slap in the face.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Yep, me too. My first computer was one of those old Compaq luggables. I thought that I was rich and famous, though, and got the second generation 80286 machine with a, Wow!, 10Gb hard drive. After all, who could ever use more than 10Gb, right?

I had an original Luggable as well. Dual 5.25" full height (360k) floppy drives, 320k of RAM and the beautiful 6" green screen. :D Those were the days. I eventually added a 5MB hard card into it and upgraded the memory to 640k.

And I think you had 10MB not 10GB in your 286, big different. :D In those days, who would have ever thought we would walk around with 32GB in our pockets; it was unthinkable at that time.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
7200RPM is slow enough. 5200?! That's a slap in the face.

Not entirely. With the density, it can be "as fast" as a 7200RPM. In benchmarks, the 1TB I have benches out in the upper 80s for both read/write, same as a 7200RPM drive.

However, under real world usage, its only as fast as a newer 5400RPM drive.

If you think 7200RPM is too slow, then get an SSD. You have to trade off of space for speed. It's a choice of either you want more space or more speed. I prefer more space over speed.

angex79

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
10tb...

2TB in this day and age though.. in a mobile machine.. I dunno, to me it just sounds excessive. If you really need that amount of space just carry external drives.

I would use 10TB if I could. I hate connecting, and disconnecting external volumes. I just want to open my computer and work/play/listen music/watch a movie. Same with iPad, iPhone or whatever device I use.

Starting, would be great to have Time Machine inside my own laptop, and a backup partition in the same HD, synchronized Live in case of failure. Also, Once you start downloading movies on iTunes, each weight : 1.5GB for Standard ones, and 4GB for High Definition. Just 10 HD movies (instead having them physically) eat at least 40GB. There are tons of reasons, to have a lot of space. And even then, they will end at some point.

bulareo

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2011
Fiji
The most recent Macbook pro 17 inch has a maximum capacity of 750GB right....... is it possible to put another 750GB.... If that is so, then I'm sure upgrading to 2TB will be fine..:apple:

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi
you should look for 1.5tb drives you can already find those for 12.5mm, or you can go for a 1tb 7200rpm drive

lol yah i know i want 2tb though and i wont mind the slight budge that it will bring..

about to get it for 160!!!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.