2x2.66 Mac Pro vs. iMac 24"

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nater., Mar 22, 2008.

1. nater. macrumors member

I searched around the web looking for some benchmarks to see how these two compared but I couldn't find a whole lot.

I currently own a 2x2.66 Mac Pro and a buddy of mine is thinking of buying it off me. If he does, I would basically be trading it to him for a nice iMac 24.

My monitor isn't anything exciting (been waiting for the update...) and I have 3gb of ram and 750gb (250+500) in my mac pro.

I haven't had a chance to use the iMacs since they have been updated. Would I miss the power of the Mac Pro if I went down to the iMac?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Here's a good speed comparison regarding games, and here is a good comparison regarding pro apps.

Personally, I'd keep the Mac Pro, because it WILL be substantially faster, but it's up to you.

3. martinlk macrumors member

martinlk

I don't get it. You want to trade your Mac Pro for an iMac? Not only is the Mac Pro more powerful, it's also much more upgradeable and allows you to connect a better display than what the iMac is currently rockin'.

What was the question again?

4. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I think you will regret it, as you will be so limited with expandability.

Don't do it!

5. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

OK.... your thread title doesn't even make sense.
    These two computers aren't even in the same league.
    Why would you trade a MP (with premium components) for an iMac (with notebook components)? Your buddy is trying to take you for a ride on this one.....:rolleyes:

6. m1stake macrumors 68000

His friend didn't suggest he get the iMac, he just wants to know how they compare.

But I do agree that the 2.66x4 beats 2x2.8.

7. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Regardless, I want to know how the OP owns a high performance $3k+ Mac Pro and doesn't even know how it compares to an iMac. I don't know about you, but when I bought my MP, I researched the hell out of it and all the other options before I spent my money. To each their own, I guess....

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

No dont do it, the mac pro will spank the imac.

9. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I would keep the Mac Pro it is so much more powerful than the imac, However even after owning the Computer you still don't realize how powerful it really is maybe you don't need the Mac Pro and could really stick with the iMac.

10. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

LOL. Yeah, maybe the Mac Pro is too much 'puter for you!

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think its the opposite, he takes the mac pro for granted and probably used to its incredible speed. Once the OP starts using an imac instead of the mac pro, he will feel it that much slower than what he was used to.

12. nater. thread starter macrumors member

The mac pro was given to me as a present from my father. I did no research on it and he basically bought it for me without much info from me. This was also purchased right when they came out so there was little to no info on it when he bought it.

I use a PowerMac G5 at work probably more so than my mac pro at home. It is plenty fast for most of the work I do. So I would say I am more used to the speed of my work computer than my Mac Pro. (Graphic design mostly web/interactive stuff)

Some of the other posters got it right - I'm just looking to see how it compares. I couldn't find anything in my search and looked to these forums for some people to help me out. My friend isn't trying to rip me off or anything. I actually suggested it to him.

I know the mac pro is super expandable and that may be a reason I keep it. I don't do video or anything crazy on this computer and sometimes feel it's overkill. Most of the time at home, I'm just browsing the internet. Some late nights I do some work but lately I've been staying at work to finish things instead.

I was just kinda curious...that's all. settle down people. geeesh.

13. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Well, in that case, I apologize.
    However, if someone gave you a $50,000 car and you were offered a $20,000 car as a trade, what would you do?
    Point being, you have a very nice computer, even if it's overkill. It's not costing you anything to keep it, other than a few extra kwhrs on your power bill. You might as well enjoy it!
    Still, if you are in the market for a new mid-level computer, why not just sell this one for outright cash and then buy a brand new iMac and pocket the remaining profit?

14. nater. thread starter macrumors member

That was my plan. My friend doesn't have the iMac to trade me. I would sell him the computer, get the cash, buy a refurb iMac, upgrade it, and pocket the rest...

My monitor sucks pretty hard and that's one reason I am thinking of doing this. Currently, I'm not able to buy a new one so I am stuck with what I have...

Apology accepted. Thanks.

15. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Since it seems you do most of your heavy lifting on the G5 the iMac must be fine for you. I say get one if your only doing basic tasks with some work.

16. giantrobot macrumors member

Just to add my two cents:

1. You probably already know that mac pros are not really upgradable.
    2. The pricing on the high end Imac and the low end Mac Pro (before the upgrade) were deviously close.
    3. Like you, both systems would have been sufficient for my purposes (Logic 8) and I came close to buying the high end Imac over the 2.66 Mac Pro but the upgradability is the reason I chose the Mac Pro.
    4. No one should have to justify their purchase of any computer but particularly this Mac Pro based on ability to utilize the processing power. Many people choose Mac Pros to extend the life of their computer by updating obsolete components. Its an economic choice and it would be a smart choice except for the fact that it turns out Mac Pros are not really upgradable.

Looking back in hindsight, the best solution for me would actually have been to buy a MBP to run Mac applications and revamp my PC to run everything else. For a variety of reasons, Macs are still not ready to be the central day to day computer of a household. Since most households require both a home computer and a mobile one, it makes more sense to assign the Mac apps to th mobile one unless you absolutely need the power. Built in obsolescence is a bit more palatable since it is that way for all notebooks and its a fair trade off for the mobility.

17. nater. thread starter macrumors member

The mac pro is upgradeable enough. In my opinion... I can throw in another 2 hard drives for tons of storage. The memory on these things is totally crazy and can be huge. So, if I do keep it - I hope it will last me a pretty long time. Even if I don't use it as my main machine for the rest of it's life - I can load it up as a server/storage.

I also have an iBook but I don't really find the need to use it that much. It basically is a 2nd monitor that I use teleport with. My ipod touch seems to take the spot of my laptop with me on trips and things. Does all the basic tasks I need when I can't be at my desk. I am never in the need to do actual work on my laptop like running any of the adobe apps.

The iMac seems pretty sweet and I could help my buddy get going...But really if I could afford a new display, I would really be completely happy with this mac pro. That is my only regret.

It sure is fast - that's for sure and it beats my work's G5 any day.

Thanks for all the comments! Helps to think this through some.

18. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I have to disagree with the 'Mac Pros are not really upgradeable' because if that were true, I'd still be stuck with 1GB of RAM and 250GB of HDD space. :p

And you CAN throw any card you wish in there, even if it's only under Windows. The machine can utilize it, just not the Mac OS.

19. Verist macrumors member

I guess it depends on your needs. Although potentially faster Mac Pro and can be expanded.. just don't mention the freaking video card. What apps are you going to use to take advantage of 32G of ram even if you can afford it. Hard drive space can be taken care of by external means. I used to think being able to go crazy with the ram would prolong my machine, but by the time big ram will be required for normal apps, the video card will be so out of date it won't matter if I have the extra capacity.

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

The only non upgradable part that I see on the mac pro (even the older models) is the graphics card, I think your describing your whole gripe on the gpu side and not focusing on the 32gb of ram,4tb hdd,future bluray/an extra dvd burner/player that could be upgraded. IMHO the x1900 should be more than good enough for pro apps and even the HD 2600xt is more than good enough for pro apps to be used under osx.

And if you dont agree with those gpu cards, why not buy the pc gpu and just use it under windows? Yes its a bit of a hassle but all you do is plug in the monitor to the gpu you need (which only takes a second) under windows and just plug in the dvi back to the hd 2600/x1900 (whichever gpu) back under osx for the monitor, and problem solved.

21. giantrobot macrumors member

I am just giving this guy my insight and I am sure he knows the upgrade limits already. ATI only ships the power cable in the US. I am out of the US and cannot buy this cable anywhere locally. The workaround for this is an ugly rewiring mess that requires the side panel to remain permanently open.

That being said, even if I had the cable I would only do this if I had the dual video input switcher.

22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

You can order the converter cable from the internet for low as $12.99 usd. I guess if you were a hardcore gamer or dedicated type the workaround isnt a huge deal though just unplugging and plugging the monitor to switch cards.

But to the OP I guess the imac wont last nearly as long as the mac pro would in power/upgradability.

Working with most pro apps I guess the ati 2600 card should be more than good enough plus the RAM and space that the mac pro gives you are more critical with the 4 core xeon for the processors.

23. nater. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm not really to concerned with how much upgrading I can do or whatever. I mean, I have used slower computers to do basically the same stuff so if I keep the Mac Pro - I probably won't have to pay for a new mac as soon as if I would go with the iMac.

I'm just curious how quick those iMac's are compared to my Mac Pro. I found a few benchmarks but nothing that really was enough to figure it out. I will probably just keep this Mac Pro anyways. But I wanted to know...

I just HOPE apple updates those Displays. They are awesome screens and I have no complaints on em at all! I use a 23" at work and it's amazing but I think they may be priced a little high. If it was just a small price drop - I would be totally happy.

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

yea I use a 23" ACD as my main display (I think its one of the best display with very vivid colors) and think that the only way apple could upgrade the acd to a better status than right now is the use of led backlighting with nothing else changed. Also an isight camera on top of the display wont hurt but not necessary.

25. nater. thread starter macrumors member

I have no need for an isight in my display. Mostly because I already have an isight. I guess if they did add one into the displays - I could sell the isight haha.

One part of the Mac Pro I don't like is I can't use a remote with it to use Front Row. Anyone who has a Mac Pro use one of those IR receivers? I don't understand why Apple didn't include one...