3.0 beta stable enough to run on main iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bowlerguy10, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

I'm considering getting into the developers program and thus downloading the 3.0 beta. My question is, my iPhone is my main phone, will having 3.0 limit its usability or hamper the battery life or anything else like that? I need the phone to work, and I can't have things crashing and my battery life being fubar until the final release!

Thanks.

2. I3eXa macrumors 6502

better just wait until the final release this summer then

3. sd2009 macrumors 6502

NO NO NO NO NO do not use it. It is UNSTABLE AS F***

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That should answer your question. Wait.

5. I3eXa macrumors 6502

geez, you act like there is a ticking time bomb in the 3.0...it's not THAT bad but still not stable enough to work properly, and thats why it's not released yet.

6. sd2009 macrumors 6502

No it is MUCH slower and unstable. Things keep crashing. and there is currently no real benefit over 2.2.1 since nothing works anyway!

7. okgsds macrumors newbie

I put it on my main iPhone and have been using it fine since yesterday around 6:00PM CST. So far all the apps are working, getting my email and normal texts just fine.

8. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

It is stable. I still haven't taken out "into the wild" but none of the Apple apps have crashed on me yet. Everything works fine the only thing I've noticed is YT and MMS.

However if you're going to sign up for the Dev Program just to get 3.0 I would reconsider.

9. richg916 macrumors regular

It does seem stable.. just not worth the Dev Program to get it.. Agree totally..

10. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Honestly, I'd say probably not. It is a beta, not a release and I know new software is exciting and we ALL want to get in on the fun but please understand this is for developers to test their apps on the new FW before it comes out. It's not something to use as an upgrade to your current OS just yet. Stay on the latest stable version unless you really want to shell out a Benjamin for something that will be free in a few months and will actually run smooth.

11. I3eXa macrumors 6502

oh stop blowing things out of proportion....

12. sd2009 macrumors 6502

There is no real benefit to using this yet. MMS? Doesn't work. Copy and paste? Is slow and buggy. iPod app is slow and keeps freezing. Mail keeps slowing down. Contacts slows down. My favourite 3rd party apps keep crashing (they worked fine on 2.x) so yes. THIS IS UNSTABLE and you SHOULD NOT install this. If I could go back to 2.x I would.

13. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

If that's the case than why isn't everyone reporting it?

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's not that unstable. I have it on my iPhone and while there are bumps in the road it's not that bad.

15. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

I agree, it's not that bad. It's not perfect either.

I've been using it all day and so far I haven't had any major. It is slightly slower than 2.2.1 and there are a few bugs here and there.

16. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread and to the people who've responded.

I can wait for the official release. I've read too many horror stories last night and today. Thanks again!

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Probably because they are honoring their NDAs.

18. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it would be sweet if they could stop long enough to post in mah thread!

19. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Guys, its pretty stable. More stable than my old windmo treo which was not a beta.

I installed as a new device which should maximize the "stableness". There is very little for me that does not work as should as far as built in apple stuff. Typing had not lagged after 24 hours (as a restore, i expect it as some point but my 2.2.1 was laggy too). I have had a few crashes. Copy paste works as advertised. I LOVE the searching. Im a big email guy and this alone is it worth it. Being able to forward texts is awesome.

As an honest assessment, this is Beta and make no mistake about it. But it is not Alpha or early Beta. All the basics work fine if you install it right and it seems alot of apps are fine as well. I am assuming that if you are willing to take the leap, you do so expecting bugs, etc. and are doing it, like me, for a feature that you feel is worth the risk.

20. kman79 macrumors regular

I've been using it for about two hours now. It definitely has some bugs, some of which have already been mentioned here.

I can understand MMS not working, most likely cause my iPhone is not setup for it with ATT.

I wouldn't say there aren't any features that aren't working, I for one am really liking the wide keyboard for emails and texting. Copy and Paste so far has worked quite well for me.

My only real annoyance thus far is that, texting can get slow at times, sorta like how texting slowed down when my phone was jailbroken a few months back.

BUT, if you're going to spend 99.00 just to get the 3.0 Beta, I would really give it some thought. Unless money grows on trees for you, I wouldn't do it. I got a friend to add me on his developer account.

I'll give it a good week's worth of use before I decide to downgrade back, hopefully I'm still able to.

21. richg916 macrumors regular

Mine seems pretty stable. Just some of the new things aren't working properly yet (which is expected) but a lot of other stuff is working very well. Lags a bit but that seems to be it for me.

22. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not actually buying anything, I was putting it in the most Politically Correct terms as I could. I am having someone add me to the dev program and I already have the 3.0 file, so I'm getting this all for free.

23. beaken macrumors member

Just a quick off the topic question to see if any iphone dev can help. I signed up and paid and all that good stuff. I have read in a few forums that you have to register your phones serial before you upgrade so that the activation does not fail. I have dug all over the dev site and have yet to find a place to put the info. Am I missing somthing?

24. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The Program Portal I would say.

25. beaken macrumors member