3.0 Beta - why only developer access?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rammy, Mar 22, 2009.

1. rammy macrumors member

The title says it all... why have Apple only released the 3.0 beta to the registered development programmers?

2. mrochester macrumors 65816

Well, who else are they going to release it to?

3. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Well an obvious reason is that developers write applications for consumers. So then why should consumers get it first?

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

it's not ready for consumers yet
    developers get it so they can test their 3.0 apps

5. rammy thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate that the code isn't ready for the "consumer", I just don't see why dev's are seen as the ideal test plan.

Sure it makes sense for the dev's to get their hands on the latest tools but I'm assuming Apple are expecting to receive feedback on the bugs and issues associated with the latest release, I don't see how this is only applicable to dev's.

6. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Because we don't test, we just use. And then we complain.

7. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

I'm sure a huge reason is that if they had released it to consumers....imagine how many of them would not know how to get back to 2.2.1 or who would construe it as the final release and end up selling the phone. There are countless problems that would arise if it were to be released to the public.

8. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

If Apple really wanted to they could release the firmware as a Public Beta.

They've done that with Safari 4 and Microsoft has done this with a whole OS, Windows 7.

But it probably isn't a very good idea to release a mobile phone OS as a Public Beta.

9. rammy thread starter macrumors member

My point exactly :D So why only dev'?

Just because I can't script C (I'm assuming this is what xcode is based on) it shouldn't mean that I am automatically discounted from providing valid feedback on the latest release.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Oh my god. How the hell do you think developers can use the 1000 new iPhone APIs in their applications if Apple doesn't give them these APIs? How would you like an iPhone release with all these new features and not a single iPhone application that uses them? This is like complaining that a Formula One team shows their new cars to the drivers first, before showing them to the public.

Actually... Unless you are a professional tester or software developer, I would automatically discount you from providing useful feedback at this stage of the game.

11. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I meant complain as in "no copy and paste die apple die apple!"

NOT provide feedback like "loading safari after pausing iPod using headset controls freezes safari".

12. rammy thread starter macrumors member

Er, When did I suggest that the dev' shouldn't get the access :confused:

13. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Again, like said above, it's simply because they have new features that the devs can use, and therefore want a slew of apps that are 3.0 ready to be completed by the time 3.0 is released to the public. Apple isn't snubbing the consumers, it's simply keeping it from us so that when it's ready, we'll get it in a good and hopefully solid form.

But if you want it, by all means, sign up as a dev and pay the $99 fee and there you go, you'll have access to the beta.

14. rammy thread starter macrumors member

It's currently not obvious (at least for people that don't know what they're doing) how to d/l and install this beta (ie, you can't just d/l it via iTunes), it wouldn't take very much work (in fact it would be minimal) to create some sort of backout for people that are experiencing issues.

15. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Last year with 2.0 select developers were given access to the 2.0 beta. There was also an enterprise beta program purely for testing the new enterprise features such as Exchange and 802.1x wireless connectivity. The only reason that the enterprise beta program existed is so Apple could get feedback on as many different enterprise level setups as possible. 3.0 does not make any drastic changes to these enterprise features added in 2.0, so it's not as necessary to have such a large testing bed. So now with the 3.0 beta it becomes more like OS X beta builds given to developers. Apple wants to focus on app compatibility with the developers and leave the general OS testing to their own internal testing teams. I'm sure that developers will report on bugs as they run into them.

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And you know this how?

17. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

That's more work for Apple to do and would take away resources from 3.0 development. They want to focus on making the final build and not worry about end users that decided they want to do their own testing.

18. rammy thread starter macrumors member

Fair do's - http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon14.gif

19. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

You want to know why? Because consumers are idiots and would be complaining at all the bugs that come with the beta and then they would ***** that they couldn't roll back the OS to 2.2.1 and be wanting replacements.

20. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

Rolling back to 2.2.1 is simple. I don't see what the big deal is about them saying it is "permanent". Yeah the baseband changes, but you can go back to 2.2.1 no problem.

But yes going back does take some work and the majority of consumers would be confused on how to do it (even though it is simple).

P.S. Don't get me wrong. I don't think the Beta should be publicly released, it's just not a big deal to update to 3.0 and then go back to 2.2.1 if you can't handle the bugs.

21. rammy thread starter macrumors member

Well Apple have been able to provide an upgrade and downgrade path for firmware and base bands in the past so why would 3.0 be any different?

22. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Really? I mean, really??
    The only reason for a public developer beta is for developers to use the new 3.0 SDK to prepare their apps FOR the public release. The beta is necessry for testing said apps and features on physical testing devices.

End of discussion. Really there's nothing confusing about it.

23. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

most consumers don't have knowledge of the iPhone to fix problems they encounter. this is a PRIVATE beta. go look around MR. i bet you'll find more than just 1 forum discussing how to downgrade from 3.0 back to 2.2.1.

it's there for a reason - it's not to hold benefits from you - Apple just wants the consumers to get the best product. and now everyone's mad because they are illegally using their beta.

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I won't even try to say this politely. Apple gives a 3.0 beta to developers, who are paying a $99 per year fee for the privilege, in order to allow them to write applications taking advantage of 3.0 features, which is what these developers are paying their fee for, and it gives Apple feedback from developers, who know what they are doing, and who can find bugs in these APIs that a user is not capable of finding. This all benefits Apple in multiple ways: They get feedback that is actually useful, they have applications ready when 3.0 is released, and they are seen by their developers to provide value for money.

You, on the other hand, have nothing to offer to Apple. Apple will not be able to benefit in any way from any feedback that you could possibly give. Giving a 3.0 beta version to you would be a waste of Apple's money and Apple's time and serve no useful purpose at all.

25. rammy thread starter macrumors member

Like I said earlier, it isn't going to be difficult for Apple to put together something to downgrade, I do (now) appreciate that Apple aren't going to want every "Tom, Dick and Harry" giving their views on this release. Maybe Apple should of held off giving out a public demo of functions that are available on just about every other platform and that have been wanted by existing customers for 18+ months (but before everyone wades in with comments on this - that's a conversation for another day :) )...

Out of interest, who's "mad" about non dev's getting hold of 3.0, other than SOME of the dev's on these forums?