3.0 disappointing

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Wayne s, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Wayne s macrumors regular

£5.99 for very little difference apart from my wifi reception is worse, pre 3.0 I could sit in my garden and get an acceptable signal but not now.

I was unsure if I needed the update and now wish I had not bothered at all.

Any chance of getting a refund and rolling back to the old OS.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No refund.

Hold Option while clicking "Restore" and choose an older firmware if you hate it that much.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

No chance.

4. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what I thought, should have got the GM for free, but being honest I did the the right thing and waited, it just seems that there is not all that much that is new or better.

Might be worth a email to Apple anyway.

5. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

I never said "hate", but I did say disappointing.

6. McShizzel macrumors regular

Yeah I too am a little disappointed last year the big draw was the ability to access the App Store this year nothing really made me go this is a must have and even less so since I have a first generation touch.

Either way I still bought the upgrade, seeing how it's only $10 and nowadays you really don't get much for $10 anymore.

Now I just need this iPod backup to finish backing up it's been at it for 45 minutes.

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

If you're not using bluetooth, go into general settings and make sure it's off. I noticed turning off WiFi made my Bluetooth performance better. The same is no doubt true in reverse. Both radios use the same frequencies.

8. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

The list of features for 3.0 was mainly for the iPhone. There really isn't much in the 3.0 update that is a major innovation for touch users. So it was kind of expected that the 3.0 Touch update would be lackluster. At least, I thought so initially. What did you expect it to be?

9. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

I was maybe expecting some thing more for £5.99, this is the first update I have had to pay for on an ipod.

iphone users get more features for free and touch users have the privilege of paying for less it seems. Not good value for money.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm on a 1st generation touch and from my initial play around I don't really think it was worth it either. Will have to see how copy and paste, spotlight, and landscape keyboards work out in day to day use. Don't think I'll use shake to shuffle it's a bit too exaggerated a movement. We'll see over the coming weeks.

11. semin28 macrumors regular

Yea it made my wifi signal suck even more. And when i needed copy and paste i didn't have it . Now i have it and there's nothing for me to copy and paste . Shake to shuffle only works when the ipod is on and at the music screen . i wanna be driving and just shake it without turning it on. I saw someone with a battery percentage that made me happy but apparently it was a jail broken ipod . Voice memos are annoying to do bc u always have to plug a mic in . It takes forever to load now in the app store,itunes store but i guess that has to do with the wifi sucking now. The new search feature is pretty lame . But other that stuff 3.0 isn't that bad . Yea i guess just disappointing .

12. Resplendent macrumors member

I agree about the Wifi problems, mine's just randomly disconnecting when I try to go into the App Store or Safari.

Was the battery % display update only for iPhones? I was looking forward to getting that...

13. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Anyone that wants great bluetooth, a built-in mic, Voice and FM radio recording, and great sounding audio from a touchscreen device should consider a Samsung P2 or P3. If you want a touchscreen player with a g-sensor, bluetooth for headphones, FM, Line-in, and voice recording, TV-out, as well as excellent audio quality there is the Cowon S9.

To me it looks like Apple is trying to swat back at the competition, but doing a crappy job of it. Now if you want what WiFi brings to the Touch (almost everything), then it's the best product still. Period.

14. Stuart in Oz macrumors 6502

I just read elsewhere that the wireless multi-player gaming doesn't work on my 1st gen iPod Touch. Is that right?

Does that mean that it only works over BlueTooth and not WiFi?

If so, then there's hardly anything worth upgrading for on a 1st gen. No BT headphones, no shared gaming... all you get is search, cut & paste & a wide-screen keyboard.

Woop-de-do.

15. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Even if it's nothing more than those three things, especially cut-and-paste, it's worth it to me.

16. AClark macrumors newbie

My wifi is also weaker now, even with bluetooth turned off! And I'm also disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a way to get a % battery indicator:(

17. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

I may go back to an older version, if I do do I still have the option of going back to 3.0 If i wish to without downloading it and paying for it again.

18. Lizard Tree macrumors newbie

Some Addtional 3.0 Touch Features

I downloaded 3.0 to my 1G and it seems to run smoother. However, this could be attributable to the equivalent of a "Restore" when 3.0 replaced 2.2.1.

However, I did find some nice features:

1. Under the Time Bar when playing Podcasts, instead of icons for "Shuffle-Genius-Repeat" it now has icons for "Email-Rewind 30 Seconds-Change Speed"

2. Under the Time Bar when playing Audiobooks, instead of icons for "Shuffle-Genius-Repeat" it now has icons for "Repeat-Rewind 30 Seconds-Change Speeds"

This is great. I can't tell you how many times I have needed to rewind a Podcast or Audiobook about 30 seconds and have had to slowly adjust the time bar. 30 seconds is about perfect! Change speeds is nice, too, for some of those long-winded podcasts - you don't need to go into the settings anymore.

3. When deleting Podcasts from the Touch, you now only need to swipe the podcast, get the "Delete" button, and touch it. No more second step of confirming or canceling the delete. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.

19. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I think the attachments that may start showing up in a couple of months will make it worth it

20. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

Might have to keep 3.0. In "user/library/Itunes/ipod software update" there is only this "iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw" not "iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Restore.ipsw."

21. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

This topic has a partly happy ending, I am still stuck with 3.0 but the financial burden has been lessened.

The end.

22. Surely Guest

Surely

How?

23. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Did you guys honestly expect things like wifi strength to increase? Really it's not like there sending you another antenna with the update. All though turning off Bluetooth will help you really can't expect much hardware changes with a software update, the bluetooth was a treat guys it really was. I'll admit im disapointed with the Bluetooth only for the limited uses/support but this is the first update using it.

24. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think you read it properly, people are saying that their wifi signal is NOW worse with 3.0.