Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnsmith1012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Missouri
I have fixed it. I started messing around with the power/sleep button, finally it started to respond. I then restored to 2.2.1 using itunes, then J/B with quickpwn and its working great..
I apparently I hadn't ever actually gotten into DFU mode before. I had read that itunes would give you a message about the dfu, but I hadn't read that windows actually shows thats its installing the drivers for the DFU Device.

This is a sad day... I was one of the mentioned morons who went for 3.0, quickly finding it was not going to work but inly for a few moments...

my iPod Touch 1Generation is now rendered useless. I can't restore, no matter whether you use itunes, or if you just choose a different firmware than itunes. It doesn't work. Apple says its usb issues, but after all of there recomendations nothing changed.

I've tried everything from 1.1.4 to 2.2.1.. and nothing.. i'm screwed.. i beg of anyone who knows why it wont restore now. I've searched, and searched, and searched, and searched.. and so on... everything thread in every forum says just use itunes restore, obviously that doesn't work.

tried uninstalling itunes, then reinstalling didnt work.. tried deleting fW to force redownload, didnt work. done all of these steps multiple times on both xp and os x 5.5...

any help would be wonderful, and if you reply just to say do more research or any of that bs, just save it. i've done enough research to justify going down the road in a very fast vehicle and releasing the touch into any concrete wall i see.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
This is a sad day... I was one of the mentioned morons who went for 3.0, quickly finding it was not going to work but inly for a few moments...

my iPod Touch 1Generation is now rendered useless. I can't restore, no matter whether you use itunes, or if you just choose a different firmware than itunes. It doesn't work. Apple says its usb issues, but after all of there recomendations nothing changed.

I've tried everything from 1.1.4 to 2.2.1.. and nothing.. i'm screwed.. i beg of anyone who knows why it wont restore now. I've searched, and searched, and searched, and searched.. and so on... everything thread in every forum says just use itunes restore, obviously that doesn't work.

tried uninstalling itunes, then reinstalling didnt work.. tried deleting fW to force redownload, didnt work. done all of these steps multiple times on both xp and os x 5.5...

any help would be wonderful, and if you reply just to say do more research or any of that bs, just save it. i've done enough research to justify going down the road in a very fast vehicle and releasing the touch into any concrete wall i see.
i would say if you dont have it or havent tried it try using quickpwn or pwnage one of thhe dev teams jail break programs and do a jail break from there worse case scenario take it to your local apple store and just say what you posted here and im sure they can help.

apsterling

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Any help would be wonderful, and if you reply just to say do more research or any of that bs, just save it. i've done enough research to justify going down the road in a very fast vehicle and releasing the touch into any concrete wall i see.

I'll be the first to say it regardless of what you'd like, if you'd have done the research with a search on this forum, it would have brought up the following.

Turn off your internet connection or block iTunes in Little Snitch or similar, and the iPod should allow you to sync in order to either use 3.0 like you wanted, or revert to 2.2.1

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Let me guess, it's completely unresponsive and you can not get even the Apple logo to show up on the screen. Am I right?

Same thing happened to my 2G touch. I just messed around with mine until iTunes recognized it; tried different button combos when plugging it in to the USB plug, tried Windows iTunes, etc.

One thing you may want to try is plugging it into a PC with iTunes installed and then hold down both buttons for ten seconds and then only the home button for ten more. It may see it then.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
sounds like someone synced their iPod whilst connected to the internet, Apple have made your device inopperable because you have 3.0 and are not listed as a developer who has paid for the firmware. (serves you right :p)

plug it into the pc and try doing DFU mode and restoring to 2.2.1 firmware

johnsmith1012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Missouri
I'll be the first to say it regardless of what you'd like, if you'd have done the research with a search on this forum, it would have brought up the following.

Turn off your internet connection or block iTunes in Little Snitch or similar, and the iPod should allow you to sync in order to either use 3.0 like you wanted, or revert to 2.2.1

I did do the research before i attempted this update. I did read about the two possible fixes for the activate issue. One said to block itunes in the firewall, which in turn blocks genius... the other simply said to install the firmware while not connected to the web, it then mentions that it will be good to go.. it left out the part where the next time you have a connection and the ipod is plugged in it still gets blocked..hmmm....

i downloaded quickpwn, and was able to finally after 2 days get my touch back to the 3.0 with everything working ok.. still can't plugin while connected. The problem after that is Quickpwn recognizes the 3.0 firmware, and then will only let you load that firmware. Well, quickpwn supports up to 2.2.1..

My thing now is I want to downgrade to 2.2.1... someone mentioned just leaving it unplugged will allow it to downgrade... this is not true for me.

I used a reg 2.2.1, did't work, a custom 2.0... that didnt work. I even tried the 1.1.4 again..

any ideas, all of you're helps is greatly appreciated.

johnsmith1012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Missouri
Amazing that people are still running into trouble trying to sneak into the beta then call for help after the fact.

no, whats amazing is that you are so smart, so knowledgeable about everything that you find it important to post on something which you have nothing to really add. WOW, you are pretty lucky to have been born with the information needed to do everything with out every asking for help.
I've had this ipod since the ipod touch first came out, purchased on sep18,2007.. so i've been working with it for a very long time.
I didnt sneak into ****, i did the research, I took the chance. Now, As i continue to try and figure this out, if not only for myself, everyone else who is having the problem. SO unless you have something helpful to add, keep your extremely intelligent comments to yourself..

hopefully next time you come across something that requires you to seek help the person you find doesn't try and make you seem small for your curiosity.. even though you do seem to be very small

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Okay, I can help, but before we start, few things:

1: Did you pay for the developer program? (if not, then you may have to do DFW restore, which I will post the link later.)

If you have payed for the program, then you will need to register your device with Apple.

johnsmith1012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Missouri
Okay, I can help, but before we start, few things:

1: Did you pay for the developer program? (if not, then you may have to do DFW restore, which I will post the link later.)

If you have payed for the program, then you will need to register your device with Apple.

Answer to question one, nope, found if from an unknown none existent source,;)...otherwise i would register it.. what kind of help can you offer?

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Answer to question one, nope, found if from an unknown none existent source,;)...otherwise i would register it.. what kind of help can you offer?

Okay, first things first.

Apple has security feature that phones home to make sure you didn't pirate the beta. Also, they have all the developer UDID number (the unique identification number for each iPod touch and iPhone) so that only the UDID registered with Apple's development program can install the beta. If they can't recognize your UDID in Apple's dev program database, they just lock your phone or iPod touch until you pay 99 dollars to join the dev program, and register the device.

But there is a way to downgrade.

1. Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and select your iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes
2. If iTunes does not detect your iPhone then you will need to put it in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode.
3. Browse the Summary Tab,
Mac Users,
Hold down Option and press the “Restore” button
Windows Users,
Hold down Shift and press the Restore button
4. Now browse the folder where you have the iPhone firmware.Select the firmware & hit the restore button and cross your fingers for 5 minutes.
5. Ignore error message like 1011, 1013, 1015 (Actually the firmware 2.2.1 is already successfully installed)
6. Use QuickPWN 2.2.5 to Jailbreak iPhone Firmware 2.2.1
Steps to put iPhone in DFU mode
1. Connect your iPhone to your computer.
2. Turn iPhone off.
3. Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
4. Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
5. A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
Please Note :- If you encountered with error message like 1601, 1602, 1600 or anything else then try putting the
iPhone into DFU mode and try again.

Hope this works. Note this this method will void your warranty, since it does jailbreak.

johnsmith1012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Missouri
Okay, first things first.

Apple has security feature that phones home to make sure you didn't pirate the beta. Also, they have all the developer UDID number (the unique identification number for each iPod touch and iPhone) so that only the UDID registered with Apple's development program can install the beta. If they can't recognize your UDID in Apple's dev program database, they just lock your phone or iPod touch until you pay 99 dollars to join the dev program, and register the device.

But there is a way to downgrade.

1. Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and select your iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes
2. If iTunes does not detect your iPhone then you will need to put it in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode.
3. Browse the Summary Tab,
Mac Users,
Hold down Option and press the “Restore” button
Windows Users,
Hold down Shift and press the Restore button
4. Now browse the folder where you have the iPhone firmware.Select the firmware & hit the restore button and cross your fingers for 5 minutes.
5. Ignore error message like 1011, 1013, 1015 (Actually the firmware 2.2.1 is already successfully installed)
6. Use QuickPWN 2.2.5 to Jailbreak iPhone Firmware 2.2.1
Steps to put iPhone in DFU mode
1. Connect your iPhone to your computer.
2. Turn iPhone off.
3. Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
4. Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
5. A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
Please Note :- If you encountered with error message like 1601, 1602, 1600 or anything else then try putting the
iPhone into DFU mode and try again.

Hope this works. Note this this method will void your warranty, since it does jailbreak.

Well thank you for your help. I tried your sujestion.. but Itunes WONT RESTORE IT.. sorry for all caps but its like no one gets that. itunes see's it, lets you restore it, but the restore doesn't complete..Everytime it stops at the part where its preparing the ipod for restore. The ipod shows the DFU image(with the usb pointed at itunes icon) then goes to apple screen, and thats where it stops. Quickpwn shows that the IPOD has firmware 3.0. so the 2.2.1 never actually loads.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I am unable to achieve DFU mode with nothing showing on the screen. i get the usb to itunes icon every time.. i've tried all three methods.. I can't even get the ipod to turn off with out automatically turning back on.

Have you ever tried to enter DFU mode before this? If this is the first time you are doing DFU, you may just not be timing it right. You did try all three DFU methods suggested here? http://thebigboss.org/guides/dfu-mode/

If you have succesfully entered DFU mode prior to upgrading to 3.0, but now your Touch is no longer going into DFU, then I'm afraid I'm out of suggestions. I did come across a newspaper article which stated that Apple Stores are helping people recover from failed 3.0 updates. So maybe you should give your local Apple Store a call. At this point, the worst that can happen is they'll say "No."

johnsmith1012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Missouri
I've found that when plugged into itunes the ipod is recognised as a non dev device and wont load... but when you unplug it and then turn the internet connection off( simply disabling the nic) the ipod suddenly is usable through itunes again.

You can then turn your internet back on and itunes will still work with the touch..

Just remember to disconnect internet when connecting ipod, then after sync you're free to reconnect the net.. and it will look like you can't access the playlist and music,movies,and videos.. just click that little triangle next to devices and click it again and there they are...

3.0 is cool.... will definitely pay the ten dollars for the real thing.. can't wait for it this summer

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
3.0 has lots of cool features. but I wait for official release this summer. major problem is that I can't sync with internet connection. it says 'device is not registered, can't activate.' only thing is that I need to turn internet off. this is only solution. plus, sync is so slow. it tests my patient. once I went to 3.0, but I wanted to downgrade 2.2.1, it wasn't smooth. restore firmware few times. finally I got back to 2.2.1. it's good.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
i did try these methods... they didn't work..

OK, so heres what I had to do when mine broke to get support.

1. Connect to computer.
2. Open iTunes
3. Hold both buttons and count to ten. (Counting fast or slow only cheats yourself)
4. Let go of power, but continue holding home until iTunes tells you it recognizes your iPod or iPhone.
5. After that comes up, click OK in the box that comes up.
6. Hold shift on windows, and option on Mac, while pressing Restore.
7. Select a 2.2.1 firmware file.
8. If it fails restoring the first time, start over until it works.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Take it to :apple:

They won't fix it. I saved someone else by restoring an iPhone back to 2.2.1 from 3.0 when i had my laptop at the genius bar, but if it won't restore he's screwed. It might not even take the regular release when it's out.

johnsmith1012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Missouri
I didnt mention this before, but its in restore mode. Stuck in restore mode I should say, in case i didn't mention that before

johnsmith1012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Missouri
They won't fix it. I saved someone else by restoring an iPhone back to 2.2.1 from 3.0 when i had my laptop at the genius bar, but if it won't restore he's screwed. It might not even take the regular release when it's out.

well, i finally achieved DFU mode through OS X. itunes says its in recovery mode with nothing on the ipod screen. And it still won't restore. I put it back into DFU mode and moved it to windows.. same outcome. But hey atleast now i'm getting DFU mode, so thats a step forward somewhat atleast

messedkid

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
Oshawa, ON
well, i finally achieved DFU mode through OS X. itunes says its in recovery mode with nothing on the ipod screen. And it still won't restore. I put it back into DFU mode and moved it to windows.. same outcome. But hey atleast now i'm getting DFU mode, so thats a step forward somewhat atleast

What you need to do, is after you get your ipod touch into DFU mode, is to get it into "pre-jailbreak" mode.

This is when your iPod touches screen goes from black (DFU mode) to white (pre-jailbreak).

There are currently no GUI ways of doing this on a mac, so I suggest QuickFreedom for windows. It will create a custom iPod Touch firmware for you (which you should use to restore it to 2.2.1 first, then restore it to the original 2.2.1 version after), and guide you how to put your ipod into DFU mode. It will then do the pre-jailbreak setup for you, and then tell you when you can use itunes to update your ipod.

I only suggest this, because this is how I got my ipod touch downgraded from 3.0, and because nobody else here had mentioned (or at least I didn't see it) the white "pre-jailbreak" screen.

There is a way of doing the pre jailbreak mode with a mac, but you need to use terminal...blah blah blah...i can't seem to find the youtube video I got it from, so I still suggest using QuickFreedom, if you have a windows PC lying around of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.