Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kailess

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Anybody else having this problem? I have checked the box "Sync notes with Outlook" and have checked the "Replace information.." box. (I've also tried it leaving the "Replace information" button blank.) Either way, when I hit the Sync button iTunes unchecks the boxes and does not sync the Notes.

This was the main reason I bought 3.0 because I store lots of info in my Outlook Notes.

Anybody else having this problem or found a solution?

preethumb

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
yep, I'm having the same problem on Mac. The check the sync notes box in Itunes and click apply and it unchecks the box and does not sync. I haven't found a solution yet.

macaw

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
3.0 Notes Not Syncing With Outlook Notes on PC

I was having a problem with Notes syncing too. iTunes seems to only sync with one Outlook Notes folder (the first one it finds). I had several Notes folders setup in Outlook and discovered that iTunes was attempting to sync with the first Notes folder it found which happened to have nothing in it. Make sure the Outlook Notes folder containing all of your Notes is the first one in the list (or only one).

Hope this helps!

astro766

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
3.0 Notes Not Syncing With Outlook Notes on PC

I was having the same problem with Outlook 2003 and here is what worked for me:

1. Exit iTunes and leave Outlook open
2. In Notes, make sure that your Notes are in the first Notes Folder listed (iTunes will only look in the first Notes folder listed, to change the order of your Notes folders just right-click on the folder and choose Move Up or Down in List).
3. Turn off Cached Mode for your current Outlook account (refer to Microsoft Office Support for instructions: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP010223431033.aspx?pid=CH010045991033)
4. Exit (from the File menu, don't just "X" out) and re-start Outlook
5. Open iTunes and check the boxes for Sync Notes to Outlook and Replace on this iPhone (*This will delete all Notes on the iPhone and replace them with Notes from Outlook*).
6. Perform Sync.

My Notes are now synced with Outlook. I went back and turned Cached Mode back on in Outlook but I do not know if this will impact Notes sync in the future. I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Hope this helps!

allanweinman

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
I hope it can sync with more then 1 notes folders. I was looking for a way to categorize and was told that the iPhone will not do categories, but I can use seperate notes folders and contacts folders and use that as seperate categories. If I cannot sync the other folders, then there is no way to keep seperate categories.

I have not bought the iPhone yet, but I am ready to and just wanted to make sure there was a way to categorize Notes and Contacts. Can someone please let me know if the seperate folder idea is a no go or if it works somehow, maybe there is a way to select the folders in some configuration box?

D

dennisnmiller

I can't sync even after trying all of the suggestions

I tried restarting everything, moving my notes to another folder, creating a note on the iphone, creating a new note in Outlook, checking the "Replace" option. Nothing works. The status window says iTunes is syncing notes, but my Outlook Notes are in Outlook and my iPhone Notes are on my iPhone and the two do not sync.

I am using Outlook 2003 on a PC and I have an iPhone 3Gs with iTunes 8.2. Outlook only has 1 notes folder called "Notes". I only have 1 profile and 1 PSD file; no OSD or Exchange servers involved. The Sync Notes option in the iTunes Info tab is selected and Outlook is the app to sync with. I've tried using the replace data option.

What am I missing?

jmvideo

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2008
Don't know what you're missing, but what I do know is my Notes aren't syncing either!

I'm using Vista Home Premium on a PC and Outlook 2003.

Has anyone successfully synced Notes using 3.0 I ask?

Regards

John

BettsNYC

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
Solved syncing problem

I too have Outlook 2003, run Vista and am not on any kind of exchange server. I found that if you click "sync notes" and hit "apply", the box doesn't stay checked. However, if you click it (don't hit "apply") and close out I-tunes, then reopen I-tunes, it shows as checked. When I synced again, all my notes came over.

However, I now have another problem. Although the notes have come over, they aren't in any kind of order and in the "Settings" field for the iphone, there isn't a way to choose the order (alpha etc.).

Dino451

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
I have had no trouble with syncing notes. I am using outlook 07 and vista. If I make changes on my ipod to the notes it syncs with my PC fine. Hope they get it fixed for everyone to use.

retroart

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
What is the default typing application for mac and how can i set it up to sync?
I don't see options in any of my text applications for syncing notes.

hairyleprechaun

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
Hello Everyone.

I am having the same issue with my notes in Outlook not syncing to iPhone 3G and iPhone notes not syncing to Outlook. I am using Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 64bit. iPhone is 3G running iOS4.

I have created a new notes folder in Outlook, copied my notes to it and then deleted the old folder but that didn't resolve the issue. I don't have cached exchange mode checked. I have also disabled and re-enabled notes syncing with Outlook in iTunes, but that doesn't solve the issue as well.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

brandre

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Problem Started With 4.0

I was syncing fine till 4.0

Now contacts, calendar and notes do not work... Does anyone recognize the word PALM? It worked...

Kevin77

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Interesting. My calendar syncs fine, but my notes do not sync anymore since upgrading to 4.
I use Outlook 2007 and have a 3Gs iPhone.
If anyone solves the notes syncing issues please let the world know.
Thanks

giveitago

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
I didnt think I had a problem with synching notes between my iphone and pc, uintil recently. I am sure I used to be able to do it with no problem via itunes. I have just found out today that notes originating from my iphone are being sent as emails to my Outlook, and notes originating from my outlook (pc) are getting to my iphone notes (as I would expect).

has anyone else had this issue?
have I set something up from my iphone to send emails when I create a note from iphone?

i'd like to hear if anyone else has seen this before.

Thanks in advance.

RonsEmcs

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010
Somewhat different problem with notes...

Been using Windows XP SP3 with my iPod Touch (3rd gen) for some time, working great. Then when I updated the iPod to 4.1 about a month ago, any new notes I put in Outlook wouldn't sync over to the iPod. I deleted a bunch of old notes in Outlook, as I had almost 1,900. When I did another sync, the old notes were still there on the iPod and the new ones still were not. It appears to be syncing from a cached file somewhere, and I haven't been able to find it. I reinstalled iTunes, no help. Anyone else seen this one???

RonsEmcs

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010
In sync at last!

Found the solution to my iPod Touch/Outlook notes sync problem...someone else found that if any one of your Outlook notes has a blank first line, the sync operation fails without any error notification. Either delete the blank line or the whole note and Shazzam! you're back in business! What I still am not sure of is how the iPod kept my old notes after I had deleted them...??? Perhaps it doesn't really delete them but puts them in a bit-bin?:)

Haggisbasher

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
Notes not syncing with Outlook Notes

Amen.
Extra line in note was creating the problem.
As soon as I fixed up/deleted the offending note, the syncing of all the rest of the notes took place without a problem.
God bless ya' RonsEmcs

Saffor

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2011
Thanks!

Found the solution to my iPod Touch/Outlook notes sync problem...someone else found that if any one of your Outlook notes has a blank first line, the sync operation fails without any error notification. Either delete the blank line or the whole note and Shazzam! you're back in business! What I still am not sure of is how the iPod kept my old notes after I had deleted them...??? Perhaps it doesn't really delete them but puts them in a bit-bin?:)

I couldn't get notes to sync on my new iphone 4 until I removed the blank first lines in a few notes. Thanks so much, RonsEmcs!

korgone

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
good news , thank you for your input .

I had the same problem between itouch and pc . I found and removed a file with a blank first line , then all went well . all me notes synced .

thedwolfe

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2010
Got it finally......subject line

I didn't understand the "missing subject line". Then I changed "categories" in my Outlook notes. Scrolled down and found one note that had been moved down a line so the subject line was missing.

Then the light came on. Thanks for all your posts

ckwee18

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
iPhone or device default

I just like to note that besides all those that had been mentioned, I tried it all but realised my problem was the following:

Check in your device (iPhone or iPad) Settings and look under Notes and see which is your "default notes account".

It should be "On my iPhone".

You may need to create new set of notes by "select and copy" note by note after you have changed to the correct default. Delete the old set which is probably from the "Yahoo or Gmail default" which may have been in the earlier set.

Re-sync and should work.

ornaalshech

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2011
sync outlooks notes with Iphone

Thank you Astro!!
your solution worked for me too.
questions:
1)Do I have to TURN ON the Cached Mode for your current Outlook account after I do this?
2)Do I have to turn it off every time I want to sync the notes to my Iphone?
Thanks again,
Orna

1. Exit iTunes and leave Outlook open
2. In Notes, make sure that your Notes are in the first Notes Folder listed (iTunes will only look in the first Notes folder listed, to change the order of your Notes folders just right-click on the folder and choose Move Up or Down in List).
3. Turn off Cached Mode for your current Outlook account (refer to Microsoft Office Support for instructions: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP010223431033.aspx?pid=CH010045991033)
4. Exit (from the File menu, don't just "X" out) and re-start Outlook
5. Open iTunes and check the boxes for Sync Notes to Outlook and Replace on this iPhone (*This will delete all Notes on the iPhone and replace them with Notes from Outlook*).
6. Perform Sync.

My Notes are now synced with Outlook. I went back and turned Cached Mode back on in Outlook but I do not know if this will impact Notes sync in the future. I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.