3.0 officially sucks on iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by haddman, Jun 16, 2009.

1. haddman macrumors regular

Ok, first off, I love all the new features, but the trade off has not been worth it. I have expierienced these same bugs on both of my iPhone 3G's using 3.0 GM. I hope tomorrow's release improves it, but I doubt it.

1. Reception has been horribly worse since upgradeing to 3.0 GM. Same symptons on 2 iPhones. Dropping calls left and right, unable to hardly have a long phone call. Used to get 4-5 bars in my basement, now signal cuts in and out. Just aweful!!

2. Battery life is crap! Can barely make it through the day now vs easily going 2 days. That is with minimal use mind you.

3. This OS is not very stable. Web pages studder and hang, load much slower. Apps crash, I have had several times where all apps immediatley close right after opening, and than I do a hard reboot and it hangs at the white apple logo, have to hard reboot again, and it finally comes out of it.

I have these symptons on both my phones, and one I did a full restore and it was no help. This is defintley the software, as before I had no issues like this. I expected much better than this for the GM, something tells me once this 3.0 goes mainstream and the masses start using it on their 3G's. I don't know how much better it will be on the 3G S, but this really is pissing me off!

2. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

when you restored did you restore you backup afterwards or set it up as a new iPhone? supposedly it runs smoother if you set it up as a new iPhone.

3. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

wait until the OFFICIAL update before you start crying

4. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

i love it..it made my iphone so much better in all ways, including speed and battery life. strange u encountered so many troubles

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

How about you wait until tomorrow, then you can start your rants. Hopefully yours won't get lost in the flood of the people who's shipments don't arrive tomorrow.

6. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Its still a beta. You shouldn't have installed it if you didn't want any unperfect results, then you shouldn't have installed it. It is most likely your end as I have used all the betas since the first and apart from the original, my battery life has improved.

It could just be an app on your end that is looping and not flushing the memory well in 3.0.

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I head that also, I saw this on another site:

8. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

You do know there is no difference between the GM version and the "official" one...

9. Chris Welch macrumors 6502

Why would you complain about applications not working when you're not even supposed to be using the firmware yet?

And that blame rests with developers. There have been several betas of this firmware. They should have had updates already or they should be queued up.

Plenty of us on this forum have experienced no significant battery differences. In fact I think my battery life has slightly improved some.

Nor have I had any call quality problems. So I'd wait until the 3.0 firmware officially releases, try a restore, then if you're still having issues, bring your phone in.

10. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

yea, i'm going to go back and do this. i'm running 3.0 GM on a iPod Touch 1g and i restored from a backup and to me it also seems really laggy and what-not.

11. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

The GM version isn't a beta! It's the same version that will be released tomorrow. :rolleyes:

I've had no problems with the GM version. Great battery life, very stable (probably most stable iPhone OS I've used), keyboard feels great, etc. I recommend a clean install.

12. Chris Welch macrumors 6502

I swear, sometimes it's as if logic is a foreign concept to many people here.

13. Pooshka macrumors 65816

7A341 is very final and very official.

14. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    We'll see about that tomorrw... :p

15. ttech10 macrumors 6502

My reception used to be 4-5 bars most of the time, with 3.0 it's also usually at that.

I put 3.0 on last Friday and have only put it on the charger twice.

It also seems to be running just as smooth if not smoother than with 2.2.1.

I don't know what to say, it seems some work fine and others don't... Also the GM is supposed to be what's released tomorrow, so I wouldn't be hoping for anything more.

16. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

And very stable. It's a solid build.

17. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

its not going to be exactly the same
    i gurantee it

18. camarobh macrumors 6502

I love 3.0 on my 3G

I have had the GM release running on my 3G for a week now with NO issues.

19. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Ditto

20. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

21. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Can someone help me out with how I should do the update tomorrow?

I thought I knew, but after reading here, I have no clue what I am doing. :D

Usually, I plug the phone in and do check for updates.

Its says there is a new OS, downloads it and installs it.

So this is not the best way to do it I take it?

22. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

its apple you tell me ;D

haha either way most people aren't experiencing any problem :)

23. haddman thread starter macrumors regular

I know, that's what has me pissed. 2 of my friends that I know personally are having the same issues on his iPhone with the 3.0, so that's 4 out of 4 iPhones that I have personally seen. This is not a good release for 3G, maybe it runs well on 3G S, but not on the 3G from my expierence. And, for those who asked, I set it up as a new phone, did not restore a backup. Mark my words, you are going to see a ton of complaints over the next couple of weeks, hopefully some patches or hotfixes are already in the works. I rarely complain about software, but this is the worst I have seen as far as performance, and that goes back to the original iPhone. I'm not ranting, just warning, this thing is about to blow up.

24. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

What is your "gurantee" worth?

7A341 has been confirmed as the build to be released tomorrow.

25. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

The 3GS has the exact same build number so it's the OFFICIAL FINAL release. I'm not sure why some are having issues, 3.0 runs great for me.

I've only encountered the no signal issue twice and of course, the lack of MMS blows.

Other than that, it runs great on the 3G :)