3.0 on 3G and UnLocking for Newbies

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GoldenEvans, Mar 17, 2009.

1. GoldenEvans macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm new and this is my first post so please go easy on me :D

I've had a flick through the forums and there's so much I can't find an explicit answer so here goes . .

Firstly, were there any indications to suggest that 3.0 will be available for the 3G? I'm assuming that it will be what with them not confirming a new iPhone as yet but wanted to make sure.

I'm thinking about getting one even if it means upgrading to the new one as and when it comes out but I am still in contract with Three (before you say it I know they're pants!!) so will need to *cough* unlock *cough* it should I get it . . What's the best way of doing this and is there something I need to look out for? I will be buying it from new in the UK if this means anything at all?

Thanks in advance :)

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3.0 software will be a free upgrade to iPhone and iPhone 3G customers. It will be jailbroken at some point, unlocked, not sure depends with an exploit is found for 3G devices up.

1st Gen iPhone will be always unlocked/jailbroken at any point no matter what firmware Apple throws.

However, for convenience sake, don't install 3.0 if you are not a developer. Bugs aside, the beta seeds expire and you could end up with a phone with a PSOD and not be able to recover it easily.

3. GoldenEvans thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok well I am intending on going with O2 as soon as my contract expires (July/August) so with 3.0 coming out later in the year that fits in pretty well.

What is the best way of unlocking were I to go and buy one tomorrow for example? I've seen things such as turbo sims, pwinage, worrying about different versions, bricking and all sorts so I must admit I don't know where to start!

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

We don't know. If you buy an iPhone at that time it'll be a new version of the hardware and new exploits are going to have to be discovered.

To get an iPhone unlocked/jailbroken you must own a 1st Gen or a 3G iPhone. Only those are currently able to be jailbroken.

5. GoldenEvans thread starter macrumors newbie

I think we're at crossed purposes here . . Sorry it's my fault.

I am thinking about buying one in the next couple of weeks so the highest the software is going to be is 2.2.1 . . How easy is this to unlock?

6. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

You can't unlock it.. unless you get turbo sim card..

You can jailbreak it but not unlock it currently due to modem firmware.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Current iPhone 3G is unlockable thru yellowsn0w only if the iPhone has baseband from 2.2.0, not 2.2.1.

8. Lkhn562 macrumors newbie

Lkhn562

why do you want to switch o2 is the best :eek: ? but anyway as the other person posted it only works on 2.2 and below just now and also them unlocking sims im not sure if they work on most carriers
    p.s they don't go easy on you with this forum i got an infraction thing on my first post also because i was posting a lot they thought i was spamming