3.0 TB Hitachi Deskstar 64 MB cache

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mac Hammer Fan, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Mac Hammer Fan macrumors 6502a

Mac Hammer Fan

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Relatively high $/GB. Do you really need 3 TB in a single drive? If so, then this one is probably as good as it gets.

JohnG

4. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Let's see, it's one of the newest disks on the market, with a huge capacity and thus density and spins at 7200RPM.

Yep, i'd think it was pretty quick :D

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I'll be curious to see how the inevitable Caviar Black 3TB models perform.

I have so far been problem free with the 2TB Caviar Blacks in my Mac Pro.

6. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Are Hitachi's Deathstar drives any more reliable than they were in the last decade?

7. Mac Hammer Fan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac Hammer Fan

8. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

BWA HAHAHAHA!!!!
    so true.
    Nothing but WD for me after all that....

9. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

also wd has the best warranty policy of the major hdd companies.

10. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I have had quite a few of the Hitachi drives including some of Deathstar fame.

None of them have died tho.

A little OTT on the Hitachi = poor side of things.

11. Mac Hammer Fan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac Hammer Fan

To be honest, all my harddrives, even from my Macs from before 2000, work without a problem. (Hitachi, Western Digital, Seagate, Barracuda, Samsung)

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hitachi's disks made in Malaysia are fine. Unfortunately, the consumer units from China = not so much. :(

13. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Hitachi, WD, Seagate, Maxtor, Conner...I've had drives fail from all of them. Hitachi just does it more frequently than the others, with WD a close second. Though I'm glad Conner was bought out by Seagate.

I prefer Seagate, but stay away from the 7200.10 and .9

14. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The DeathStar series was indeed horrible. 6 of my 8 drives failed back in the days (20 and 40GB discs).

I've had the same failure rate with the faulty Seagate series (7200.10 IIRC) about two years ago.

Fortunately all my WD and Samsung drives never failed (till now), but considering that all manufactures can have bad series, buying drives from a variety of them is always good practice. Don't stick to a certain manufacturer if you want a decent backup.

My data is stored exclusively on WD drives, gets backed up on Samsung, Seagate, and WD drives, though. Data loss till now: 0%. :D

15. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

WD blacks

I have to say that my experience has been that the WD blacks are the cat's meow. Always fast, never any problems.
    But their green series is weak. Two fails out of 4 and they are SLOW.
    Never tried samsung though... they are cheaper

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

Of course they all have failure rates (none have a failure rate of 0%, not even with their enterprise disks). :eek: :p

It's just that I've seen the highest from Hitachi as well, with Seagate coming in second for consumer disks with recent disks (last 2 years). The enterprise, consumer, green,... versions even matter. For example, Hitachi's enterprise disks are better than their consumer models, especially their SAS models.

Personally, I'm still a bit wary of Samsung's too, but I'm seeing information that they're getting better (used to getting bad sectors on new disks - about half what's allowable before it can no longer be remapped).

Newegg's customer review section is surprisingly a good place to gauge what the failure rate is (tends to be the 1 egg reviews). I know this includes damage that may be a result of shipping, but it's valid in real world terms (dead disk out of the package is still a dead disk - causality doesn't matter to the user :p).