Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Correct. In order to fix the SMS Vulnerability then you have to use Firmware 3.01.

So, if what you're saying is right, there's really no point on updating and re-JBing with 3.0 ispw....

You're basically updating to 3.0.1 and then wiping it off with 3.0 once you JB again, correct?

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Uh oh, I think my phone is in bad shape right now.

I attempted to update to 3.0.1 on my JB iPhone 3GS and it didn't work. It said I had to restore the phone, so I allowed it. But it gets halfway through the restore and fails with error 19 (this is from DFU mode). I always thought of DFU mode restore as a last resort that could fix everything, but it consistently won't work for me.

Is my iPhone bricked?

Edit: Got it to work on my mom's mac mini. close one :)

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Er...what would you do to rejailbreak after updating? I thought I had just read it in this thread, but now I can't seem to find it. Maybe I'm just overlooking it...

I had read somewhere that purplera1n won't work, but I can't find anything about jailbreaking 3GS's on the dev team site? Also, will you need to catch the ibec and ibss', cus' I haven't done that yet.

dudeitsvan

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2007
So Im still trying to figure this out. If you restore the phone, then update to 3.0.1 how can you JB it since there is no ipsw for 3.0.1. If you update to 3.0.1, then jailbreak with the 3.0 ipsw wouldn't that defeat the upgrade to 3.0.1?

aibo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Southern California
So Im still trying to figure this out. If you restore the phone, then update to 3.0.1 how can you JB it since there is no ipsw for 3.0.1. If you update to 3.0.1, then jailbreak with the 3.0 ipsw wouldn't that defeat the upgrade to 3.0.1?

Mine wasn't jailbroken, just unlocked (iPhone 2.5G). Updated to 3.0.1 and it told me my iPhone wasn't properly activated. So I ran Redsn0w which didn't recognize the 3.0.1 ipsw... and I told it to use the 3.0 ipsw instead. It used that file to activate/unlock (I could have Jailbroken at this point too) and when it's all said and done, my iPhone says it's running 3.0.1. So no -- redsn0w with 3.0 ipsw to unlock/jailbreak your 3.0.1 iPhone won't revert it back to 3.0, as long as you're not doing a full restore.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008

Here:

* iPhone 3.0.1 download (iPhone1,1_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw, 229 MB)
* iPhone 3G 3.0.1 download (iPhone1,2_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw, 230 MB)
* iPhone 3GS 3.0.1 download (iPhone2,1_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw, 298 MB)

maxpayne.co.uk

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2004
London, UK
Mine wasn't jailbroken, just unlocked (iPhone 2.5G). Updated to 3.0.1 and it told me my iPhone wasn't properly activated. So I ran Redsn0w which didn't recognize the 3.0.1 ipsw... and I told it to use the 3.0 ipsw instead. It used that file to activate/unlock (I could have Jailbroken at this point too) and when it's all said and done, my iPhone says it's running 3.0.1. So no -- redsn0w with 3.0 ipsw to unlock/jailbreak your 3.0.1 iPhone won't revert it back to 3.0, as long as you're not doing a full restore.

Eh? You can't soft unlock without jailbreaking.

99MustangGTman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2008
Germantown MD/ Columbus OH
Yeah your going to need the updated 3.0.1 ipsw file. I didn't read any of the forums and accidentally updated to 3.0.1. Since I used Purplera1n to jailbreak the first time I used Redsn0w this time, but there's still only a 3.0 ipsw file available and when I connected to iTunes to sync my phone it says 3.0.1 update is available, so I basically just re-jailbroke my phone for no reason. Ahh, I guess i'll just risk it with 3.0 until a new ipsw file comes out.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009

From that link you posted:

"Yes, jailbreaking does work with the iPhone 3.0.1 update for all iPhone users, but a jailbreak for it has not been released yet. Stay tuned, we’ll make a post here once an iPhone 3.0.1 jailbreak is released"

I don't get it...if JBing is working with 3.0.1 why do they need to release a JB for it? :confused:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
As for me, this MMS hack has been around for months and there is nothing that critical on my phone. With 100 million cell phones in the US, I will take my chances and wait until the DevTeam plays with 3.01 and gives an opinion.

99MustangGTman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2008
Germantown MD/ Columbus OH
From that link you posted:

"Yes, jailbreaking does work with the iPhone 3.0.1 update for all iPhone users, but a jailbreak for it has not been released yet. Stay tuned, we’ll make a post here once an iPhone 3.0.1 jailbreak is released"

I don't get it...if JBing is working with 3.0.1 why do they need to release a JB for it? :confused:

It does work, I just DL the 3.0.1 ipsw file and then re-JB my 3GS using Redsn0w and it works flawlessly.

clearchaos

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
i can also confirm that redsn0w works on a 3G running 3.0.1. i chose the older 3.0 firmware during the jailbreak process, but the phone actually runs 3.0.1. im going to try aptbackup now (i've never used it before).

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Yeah your going to need the updated 3.0.1 ipsw file. I didn't read any of the forums and accidentally updated to 3.0.1. Since I used Purplera1n to jailbreak the first time I used Redsn0w this time, but there's still only a 3.0 ipsw file available and when I connected to iTunes to sync my phone it says 3.0.1 update is available, so I basically just re-jailbroke my phone for no reason. Ahh, I guess i'll just risk it with 3.0 until a new ipsw file comes out.

How does one "accidentally update" ??

Guess this could then apply to you.... Of course you have to JB first

MuscleNerd (member of DevTeam) states this on twitter
"3.0.1 baseband is same as 3.0 so ultrasn0w is safe even if u accidentally update (& temporarily lose JB+UL)"

mikehockenballs

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
Greater Manchester, England
1st Gen Issue

Hi Guys,

Im in trouble with my 1st gen iphone :(
I recently upgraded to firmware 3.0 and jailbroke it with redsnow and everything was fine. Then I noticed that it would not save text messages in the list although I could send and receive them fine. As soon as I left the sms program and then returned to it, the messages had vanished. So I asked on here but in another forum and was advised to do a restore and it would be fixed, this I did but now I cannot get it to restore after trying quite a few times. So I tried again today and when I connected to iTunes it showed that I could upgrade to 3.01 which I did do thinking that it would correct all of my issues. But now it still wont restore properly and I have tried to jailbreak it again with redsnow 0.7.1 but it wont seem to work corectly. First of all I cant get the phone to turn off and then press the relevant buttons as per redsnow, although it shows that redsnow is downloading the software to it and it shows on the phone screen as it is working. Then redsnow shows as finished but the phone just goes back to the usb to itunes screen :(.

I did use the 3.0 ipsw with redsnow but it still wont restore or jailbreak.

Any ideas why not?

Cheers!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded to firmware 3.0 and jailbroke it with redsnow and everything was fine. Then I noticed that it would not save text messages in the list although I could send and receive them fine. As soon as I left the sms program and then returned to it, the messages had vanished. So I asked on here but in another forum and was advised to do a restore and it would be fixed, this I did but now I cannot get it to restore after trying quite a few times. So I tried again today and when I connected to iTunes it showed that I could upgrade to 3.01 which I did do thinking that it would correct all of my issues. But now it still wont restore properly and I have tried to jailbreak it again with redsnow 0.7.1 but it wont seem to work corectly. First of all I cant get the phone to turn off and then press the relevant buttons as per redsnow, although it shows that redsnow is downloading the software to it and it shows on the phone screen as it is working. Then redsnow shows as finished but the phone just goes back to the usb to itunes screen :(.

I did use the 3.0 ipsw with redsnow but it still wont restore or jailbreak.

Any ideas why not?

Cheers!

Have you tried Redsn0w .0.8, I believe that's the newest version.

mikehockenballs

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
Greater Manchester, England
Thanks for your quick reply!

I havent tried 0.8 yet, and I dont know where to find it either lol

Could you give me any pointers please?

Cheers!

** I just looked on the Dev Team site and there is only version 0.7.2 available to download, could you give me a link to where I can download version 0.8 please?

aibo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Southern California
Hi Guys,

here's what I would do.
-Put your iPhone into DFU mode (it's not the same as recovery mode).
-Install unmodified 3.0 firmware
-Run Redsnow to jailbreak/unlock/activate, using the 3.0 ipsw file.
-Update to 3.0.1 through iTunes
-Red Redsnow again to jailbreak/unlock, using the 3.0 ipsw file. your phone will still be on 3.0.1.
-sync all your data/apps back to your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.