****3.1 issues? Try this...Seriously...*****

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JustGretchen, Oct 6, 2009.

1. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

EDIT: Also, failed to mention, big fail here, replace your SIM then do the following...

Try a DFU restore of your device and SET IT UP AS NEW.

First make sure your contacts are sync'd with another program on your computer, i.e. addresbook.app, Win Address Book, Windows Contacts, or Outlook. That way you can resync them to your iphone after the process.

Connect iphone to your computer while iTunes is open.

HOLD Home & Sleep/Wake button for exactly 8 sceonds. (I used a stopwatch or timer on the computer) The timing here has to be EXACT otherwise it will NOT work.

RELEASE Sleep/Wake and continue to HOLD Home for another 5-10 seconds.

iTunes will pop and tell you iphone is in recovery mode and must be restored. iPhone is really in DFU mode, not standard recovery mode. You will know you've got it because your iPhone's display will stay blank and when you start the restore it will flash white.

Click restore. Let iPhone restore. Set iPhone up as new and RESYNC your content. DO NOT RESTORE FROM BACKUP AFTER THIS PROCESS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

I can't promise 100% it will work for every iphone with problems, but it has worked for myself and many others who I know.

I sincerely hope this helps someone.

2. Ahambone macrumors newbie

If I do this, will I lose all of the saved data in my apps?

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yes, they're saved in the backup which - as the OP indicates - you should not restore from.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Basically this eliminates all conflicting settings. I have given this advice over and over, but it seems laziness in people overcomes the end result of perfect harmony.

5. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Your apps are on your PC/Mac so it should re-install them once again. Just the device's sync paramaters are no longer used. Purchased/Free apps, music, movies, ringtones those are on the home Mac/PC iTunes library and will come back. You'll need to setup sync for Address/Calendar/Contacts/Ringtones etc to the way you had it under the previous device name.

Great post! Like hard-resetting and resyncing from scratch. Something those of us from other smartphone platforms have knowledge/experience and sweat over in the past ;). This should work and may become a valuable sticky!

6. Ahambone macrumors newbie

If doing this means that when I resync my apps, I'm going to lose all of my saved app data (i.e. game saves), I don't know how great of a solution I can consider this- at least for the problem I've been having (no MMS).

7. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

If you have a JB phone you can backup game saves.

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

9. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

How do you do this? Apart from copying the game data using SSH to your computer then copying back later, as I did this and then Worms wouldn't proceed beyond the level I was on and had error messages about missing sounds and graphics

10. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I was actually thinking of trying this...does it solve the battery issue for 3.1?

11. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

Do it. See if it works for you.

Would you rather worry about some silly saved game data or have the device functionality back? I think that's a pretty easy question to answer.

My theory is that there's some issue that is hosing cellular components of the iphone. iPod touches aren't being effected that I've read about.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Sorry - but it this info new?

Because I could swear this same method has been given quite a few times since 3.01 and 3.1 came out and people were having issues.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Restore from your backup to get all your data back... then simply "Reset All Settings". This will set your iPhone up like new, but will leave all other data intact.

14. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I am not concerned about game saves, I cam concerned about losing my MPG data and my Memengo Wallet data.

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Do this. NO data lost.

16. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Yeah, I am pretty sure everyone has mentioned this every update if they have issues. You may as well try RESET ALL SETTINGS first, to see if that solves your issues.

17. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

The problem is, neither a DFU restore or resetting all settings permanently fixes the 3.1 comas/lockups.

There are tons of people on the 20+ page thread here and the 130+ page thread on the Apple discussion forums who have tried both methods only to have the comas/lockups come back a few days later - myself included.

This is unfortunate, as Apple has seriously dropped the ball on 3.1. Software bugs happen, but it's been a month without so much as a peep from Apple about this issue and it's clearly affecting a lot of users based on the number of posts I've read.

18. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

So hopefully 3.1.2 resolves all this stuff.

Also, failed to mention, big fail here, replace your SIM then do the DFU...