Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TeamDNA

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2009
trying to downgrade my 3gs..

how to i add the 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com to ect/hosts on a mac?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Looks like it is just for mac users. You could of just said that if you knew.

Ive answered plenty of questions if i know the answer to it.
I'm sorry, but what is your complaint? That link I quoted, the one that has been posted numerous times in answer to questions exactly like your own, contains lots of information about the jailbreak process. Copy and pasting the entire site here seems kind of silly to me. As for PwnageTool being Mac-only, I'll refrain from pointing out the irony of posting such a complaint on a site called "MacRumors" and instead point out that you may want to be more specific in future requests because nowhere in your original post did you specify that you're stuck with Windows. Unless you specify that you need a Windows tool, most people here assume that you're using a Mac (and rightly so, given the site, as we've already established) ... ;)

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Do you have a link to the 3.1 3GS Jailbreak?

Thanks!

Do you NOT understand English? You've asked a question that people answered MANY times. You've asked a question that THIS thread is about and people answered. Have you even read?

Faust1979

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2009
Hi,
I've just bought iphone 3gs and unfortunatelly uprgaded to os 3.1. I know - I shouldn't, but I've never heard before about jailbreaking (it's my first iphone). Is there a hope for me? According to what you say on this thread it's imposibble (for now) to jailbreak iphone 3gs with os 3.1. But I found this:

http://www.blogsdna.com/3911/how-to-downgrade-iphone-3gs-31-to-30-os.htm

And this:

http://www.blogsdna.com/3867/how-to-jailbreak-iphone-3gs-os-30-with-purplera1n-on-windows.htm

I want to ask before I'll screw something :D Is it possible to downgrade to os 3.0 and then jailbreak?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'm sorry, but what is your complaint? That link I quoted, the one that has been posted numerous times in answer to questions exactly like your own, contains lots of information about the jailbreak process. Copy and pasting the entire site here seems kind of silly to me. As for PwnageTool being Mac-only, I'll refrain from pointing out the irony of posting such a complaint on a site called "MacRumors" and instead point out that you may want to be more specific in future requests because nowhere in your original post did you specify that you're stuck with Windows. Unless you specify that you need a Windows tool, most people here assume that you're using a Mac (and rightly so, given the site, as we've already established) ... ;)

It isnt worth argueing about but unless you are new here,...which you arent, you would know not everybody has a Mac who has an iPhone and this IS the iPhone section.

My Sig doesnt have a Mac listed in it either.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
It isnt worth argueing about but unless you are new here,...which you arent, you would know not everybody has a Mac who has an iPhone and this IS the iPhone section.

My Sig doesnt have a Mac listed in it either.

Uhoh. My sig doesn't show my Mac either, so I guess that means I don't have one. :rolleyes:

Again, if you need software to use in Windows, you might want to specify (or at the very least, hint) that you're using Windows. This is, after all, MacRumors. When you asked for a link to the 2G and 3G jailbreak info, I gave it to you. I'm not a mind-reader, I don't have ESP, and I had no way of knowing that you're stuck with Windows. /discussion

TheHeadFL

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
Hi,
I've just bought iphone 3gs and unfortunatelly uprgaded to os 3.1. I know - I shouldn't, but I've never heard before about jailbreaking (it's my first iphone). Is there a hope for me? According to what you say on this thread it's imposibble (for now) to jailbreak iphone 3gs with os 3.1. But I found this:

http://www.blogsdna.com/3911/how-to-downgrade-iphone-3gs-31-to-30-os.htm

And this:

http://www.blogsdna.com/3867/how-to-jailbreak-iphone-3gs-os-30-with-purplera1n-on-windows.htm

I want to ask before I'll screw something :D Is it possible to downgrade to os 3.0 and then jailbreak?

No, there is no way to downgrade unless you were already jailbroken on 3.0 and had your phone hashed through Cydia.

You aren't out of luck though. A 3.1 JB is coming, the Dev Team has confirmed that the 3.1 firmware is still vulnerable, and the 3GS jailbreak is going to be coming 'soon' via 'greenpois0n'. Just have patience.

(You *might* be out of luck on unlocking though, which is separate. It isn't yet known if the newer baseband is vulnerable.)

jimmybond

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
I accidentally upgraded to 3.1 and therefore lost my JB and most importantly unlock. I therefore booked a genius session and made up a load of old balony about my iphone speaker making lost of weird noises.

They replaced it pronto with a 3.0.

The 3GS is so new that replacement stock levels are still 3.0 or 3.01. But hurry, they'll be shipping 3.1 soon and there is talk that whilst the 3GS should get JB it may NEVER be unlocked due to the upgraded baseband.

So, go replace. That's my advice.

JB

Buskape

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
NGC 4889
I've just received my new iphone 3gs and it was in 3.0, so i jailbroke it and unlocked it right away but iTunes asks me to do a carrier update (for MMS i guess) will this update mess up my 3gs? Will the carrier quickpwn unlock go away? because i don't want to use it on the carrier it's locked on..

jimmybond

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
I've just received my new iphone 3gs and it was in 3.0, so i jailbroke it and unlocked it right away but iTunes asks me to do a carrier update (for MMS i guess) will this update mess up my 3gs? Will the carrier quickpwn unlock go away? because i don't want to use it on the carrier it's locked on..

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not do a carrier update or a firmware update. RESIST ALL attempts by Apple to update your phone. If you do, it's over. You wont be able to JB until devteam JB and you may NEVER be able to unlock it again due to the baseband upgrade within the firmware update.

Stay away from iTunes basically.

JB

Faust1979

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2009
No, there is no way to downgrade unless you were already jailbroken on 3.0 and had your phone hashed through Cydia.

You aren't out of luck though. A 3.1 JB is coming, the Dev Team has confirmed that the 3.1 firmware is still vulnerable, and the 3GS jailbreak is going to be coming 'soon' via 'greenpois0n'. Just have patience.

(You *might* be out of luck on unlocking though, which is separate. It isn't yet known if the newer baseband is vulnerable.)

Buskape

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
NGC 4889
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not do a carrier update or a firmware update. RESIST ALL attempts by Apple to update your phone. If you do, it's over. You wont be able to JB until devteam JB and you may NEVER be able to unlock it again due to the baseband upgrade within the firmware update.

JB

Thanks mate, i'll stick with the "Don't fix what ain't broken" rule :)

TheHeadFL

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JB

Let me see if I can do as many exclamation marks as you:

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to the Dev Team, the carrier update is harmless and won't affect unlock. Don't spread misinformation.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Let me see if I can do as many exclamation marks as you:

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to the Dev Team, the carrier update is harmless and won't affect unlock. Don't spread misinformation.

As far as I know, iTunes won't let you install the carrier update without first upgrading your firmware to 3.1, which is fine for 3G phones, so anyone using a jailbreaked 3.0/3.0.1 3G S iPhone shouldn't and can't install the carrier update. They have to install their own carrier update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.