Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheHeadFL

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
As far as I know, iTunes won't let you install the carrier update without first upgrading your firmware to 3.1, which is fine for 3G phones, so anyone using a jailbreaked 3.0/3.0.1 3G S iPhone shouldn't and can't install the carrier update. They have to install their own carrier update.

There are many threads in this forum with instructions on how to do just that.

I have a 3GS and I have done it successfully.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
As far as I know, iTunes won't let you install the carrier update without first upgrading your firmware to 3.1, which is fine for 3G phones, so anyone using a jailbreaked 3.0/3.0.1 3G S iPhone shouldn't and can't install the carrier update. They have to install their own carrier update.

Yea, easy to update MMS carrier thru iTunes. 3.1 not required.

There is even a new hacked 6.0 carrier file which enables MMS, tethering and visual voicemail all at the same time, right out of the gate.

PaulAshcroft25

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2009
Hi there, I'm a new 3Gs 16gb owner and I use Windows Vista so I dont have a Mac(I thought I'd make that clear from the start having read this there are some idiots who don't make things clear from the start). Just to clarify, as of yet there is no Jailbreak for 3.1 3gs? Secondly, I havn't been able to send any ECIDs or anything but I used USBViewer to find mine out and saved it on my desktop. What I have done is where you do the bit in notepard where you put that ip address in etc, but I have not sent the Ecid anywhere. So from someone who is more experienced what have I done in simple terms. Am I just best waiting for 3.1 Jailbreak to be released? All's I want to do is install 3rd party apps like TomTom and games that I download from newsgroups i.e EAsports pack. If I jailbreak, will I lose my signal or do I have to install something else on my phone. I'm not bothered about unlocking it, I'm on o2 so that will do. Can someone who has got time and patience please explain things in a less technical way. Much appreciated.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
**PaulAshcroft25**

Now that you have your ECID, you can use it to make sure that, if you ever need to, you will be able to restore 3.1

For instance, after 3.1 is jailbroken, and Apple release a later version and stop signing 3.1, you may need to do a 3.1 restore. That's what this whole ECID thing is about.

So, check out this page which will let you store your 3.1 "blobs" on your own computer: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

You download the package, read the readme file, then run the umbrella program with your ECID number, and you're done.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
**PaulAshcroft25**

Now that you have your ECID, you can use it to make sure that, if you ever need to, you will be able to restore 3.1

For instance, after 3.1 is jailbroken, and Apple release a later version and stop signing 3.1, you may need to do a 3.1 restore. That's what this whole ECID thing is about.

So, check out this page which will let you store your 3.1 "blobs" on your own computer: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

You download the package, read the readme file, then run the umbrella program with your ECID number, and you're done.

But if you have already saved your ECID files with Cydia....is it still necessary to use the umbrella program???

Please advise.

Thanks.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
But if you have already saved your ECID files with Cydia....is it still necessary to use the umbrella program???

Please advise.

Thanks.

It's not necessary to, but it's an additional safeguard - it makes sure you will have access to them when you need them.

If you have 3.0 or 3.0.1 blobs saved on Cydia, then Umbrella can copy them down to your PC for you, but if you don't then it can generate the 3.1 ones for you by querying the Apple servers with your ECID number. That's my understanding anyway.

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008

Please advise.

Thanks.
Depends on your preference...AFAIK, the TinyTSS and Saurik's server are the only places to store and redirect your hosts file to manage your .shsh files. I am fortunate to have stored a 3.0 .shsh on Saurik's server so I was able to pull that file to my computer.

The difference between TinyTSS and Suarik is that the TinyTSS is stored and used on your computer, not someone elses who could one day have their IP blocked by Apple, which means that you can always restore and activate to whatever version of the .shsh file you have on your computer.

I also was able to store multiple .shsh files for both of my 3GS'.

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not do a carrier update or a firmware update. RESIST ALL attempts by Apple to update your phone. If you do, it's over. You wont be able to JB until devteam JB and you may NEVER be able to unlock it again due to the baseband upgrade within the firmware update.

Stay away from iTunes basically.

JB

WTH!?

This is how people get confused. If you want to update the carrier file officially, then you must update to 3.1 and then iTunes will feed you the update. If you want to update the carrier file yourself then just download the official file (google is your friend) and follow the simple instructions. BTW this also requires iTunes so your post is way wrong.

PaulAshcroft25

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2009
Thanks I will try that when I get home from work...No I didn't post the ECID to anything but what I did try is to post it on that purplerain or whatever its called and nothing happened. As I said I'm a newbie...what is the worst I can do to the phone because I don't feel 100% confident as yet to try it. Furthermore, I have been given this link: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4447
and I don't know whether it is worth trying? It is basically a way to downgrade to 3.0. I know that Apple have stopped doing the signing and stuff so am I wasting my time trying whats in the link?

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Thanks I will try that when I get home from work...No I didn't post the ECID to anything but what I did try is to post it on that purplerain or whatever its called and nothing happened. As I said I'm a newbie...what is the worst I can do to the phone because I don't feel 100% confident as yet to try it. Furthermore, I have been given this link: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4447
and I don't know whether it is worth trying? It is basically a way to downgrade to 3.0. I know that Apple have stopped doing the signing and stuff so am I wasting my time trying whats in the link?

If you're already on 3.1 then that link is no use to you. We just have to wait for a 3.1 JB. Which is not imminent, by the look of recent posts. What looks to be coming soon is a way to update a 3.0.x jailbroken to 3.1 firmware jailbroken, but not to go straight there from 3.1. Still, eventually, we hope.....

Where do I save my Shsh file that I have just created from Umbrella? Thanks.

Anywhere you like, put it in a folder with the Umbrella stuff and keep it where you can find it some day. It will only be needed if you need to restore to 3.1 after Apple stops signing that, and you'll probably only ever want that if 3.1 JB gets released but 3.2 JB or whatever hasn't been.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
But this MuscleNerd tweet makes me think those on 3.1 without SHSH files saved are still out of luck

"sorry it won't cover people stuck at 3.1 without their signed files :( Though that's high on the list (but not for unlock)."

FastangV6

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
But this MuscleNerd tweet makes me think those on 3.1 without SHSH files saved are still out of luck

"sorry it won't cover people stuck at 3.1 without their signed files :( Though that's high on the list (but not for unlock)."

Looks like you are correct, at least for now. It looks like the new pwnage tool released today does not support 3GS phones that are already on 3.1 FW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.