3/11/2011 Hong Kong's iPad 2 Launch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by treebark7182, Mar 16, 2011.

1. treebark7182 macrumors member

My fiance and I waited in line for ~3 1/2 hours on Friday at Rockingham park in Salem,NH and they ran out of the models we wanted 4 people in front of us. We were crushed.

Not being racist in any way but the line was like 80% asian and they were all buying 2 at a time. Something tells me my ipad 2 is in Hong Kong or at least on its way.

I waited on the tuesday "second launch" that never happened. Was chatting with a guy behind me and he admitted to being hired to get an ipad as part of a "group sting". I was about 70th in line and he said at least 60 people there were all from the same group.

This has been an awful experience. Got so hyped for this thing only to have the US launch end up being the Hong Kong launch. Does apple really care so little for its user base? I understand these resellers are trying to make a buck and are exploiting a hole in the system but cant anything plug the stupid thing up for whatever super gadget apple releases next? Wouldn't apple be losing a lot of money having these people taking away our inventory and selling it at that mark up??? Wouldn't it be apple selling them for those ungodly amounts of money on their own terms? How could such a large business allow such a leaky release of product?

I dunno. I'm reserved at BB and still waiting and I have an order in that'll take a month to fill. Ive never had this hard of a time trying to throw my hard earned cash into someones bank account before. Thanks for screwin' the pooch Apple. If anyone has a spare 64 and 32 gig black wifi layin around feel free send it my way.

:confused::confused::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::apple::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::confused::confused:

2. outphase macrumors 65816

What can Apple really do? For iPhones, Apple restricted cash sales, but some people got angry about that. It's not really Apple's business to investigate as to why each purchaser wants an iPad, nor should it be it's business.

3. treebark7182 thread starter macrumors member

I know it wouldn't be the most popular idea but I think limiting to one per customer would help. I would think that if apple is losing money by essentially selling 1000's and 1000's of ipads 1/2 off in Hong Kong they'd try and intervene. Isn't that was giant companies do???

4. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

It's not up to apple to police this problem. It's up to the us customs and/or hk customs.

If you travel to china with suitcases full of iPads you might even get them all confiscated. In hk it's much more lax. But it's a business and the product is hot so it is well sought and demand > supply so the jack up in margin is justified. It's just that people are dumb and impatient enough to pay up to 3x retail msrp!

Don't be upset because it's just an iPad. You will get yours soon enough and let the suckers pay more. You'll end up with a fixed LCD non bleeding iPad and they've paid $1600 for a defective iPad. Good luck to them in hk getting warranty fix. ;)

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Seriously, whatever Apple does, they can't win. Last time, they limited iPads to credit cards only and everyone bitched and moaned that it's unfair to people wanting to pay cash.

Well, Apple heard those folks loud and clear. They accept cash and now everyone bitches and moans.

What can Apple do to make everyone happy? Require a valid US Passport for purchase?

Sheesh.

6. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Why would apple stop them if they are making money? I know if I had a business and people bought my items to resell I wouldn't care as long as my product continuously sells out every launch

7. treebark7182 thread starter macrumors member

Simply because they'd be the ones selling them for HK prices to people and not a bunch of exploitive d-bags

8. HankMoody macrumors member

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I went to the Apple store on Friday at 3:30 (after believing alot of people on this site about the "ease" of getting an iPad on launch day) only to be shocked by all the Asians in line (I myself am Chinese). About 5 minutes after the store opened I figured out why there were so many Asians when I saw 60 year old Asian people walking out with 2 iPads a piece. And now its Wednesday night and I still do not have an iPad and I honestly have no hope of getting one for the next couple of weeks since I work 8-5 on weekdays which kills any chance of me getting one early in the morning at Target or Apple. I'm hoping that once the iPads are released in Hong Kong next Friday, we'll see the demand (or atleast the resale market) die down a bit.

9. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

do you like californication?

10. tsekh, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

tsekh macrumors member

Hong Kong people don't get priority or special treatments in buying iPads. They just got in line earlier than you, and went to Apple's website earlier than you. That's something you could have done too. And you know what? Hong Kong people are not the only one reselling the iPads. I saw a lot of white people, Americans or not I don't know, in line buying 2 iPads per person before me too. And go to Craigslist to find a iPad 2, chances are the seller that you meet is a non-Asian.

While you complain about Apple not doing anything for their US users, Hong Kong and China users can more justly complain Apple not doing anything for THEIR markets. This reselling thing is all due to the fact that Apple not launching/announcing a launch date of the iPad for those markets.

11. HankMoody macrumors member

Haha. yeah, such a good show. I think I was watching the show when I made this account, thus I just used Hank's name.

12. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Isn't assuming anyone asian is from Hong Kong pretty racist? ;)

Just kidding. I'm asian (and also a pretty good driver) and I dont get hung up on race. But I do feel bad for those missing out due to resellers.

13. 03sho macrumors 6502a

Bwahahaha! You didn't get what you want and you didn't like the experience. God dammit there are people in this world who live on streets from no fault of their own, people who have no choice but to sleep rough, people who queue for hours not for an iPad but for water.

:mad:

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Apple is in a no-win situation here.

Sorry, OP I know it sucks. I would recommend just ordering one online from the Apple store and be done with it. This way you won't drive yourself crazy trying to chase one down in an actual store.

15. treebark7182 thread starter macrumors member

I'm referring to the NY Post article talking about all of this and they stated that the people doing this in NY are being led by a Hong Kong group. I guess just from what I witnessed and that article put Hong Kong in my brain lol.

16. jwong3854 macrumors newbie

limit one per customer is not going to work, they will just have 120 people in line to get the ipad...Apple is making money either way, i m sure they don't care as well..What are you going to do....if you know you could sell it for $1000 a piece, i am sure you will do the same thing...

17. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

This is not new nor anything that can be done. This happens with any new hot product like ps3, xbox 360, nintendo Wii, street fighter controllers, etc. Canadians came down to buy them, too. Some Europeans also. Even, some Americans who wants to profit via eBay or Craig list or amazon. If u want it bad enough, camp the night before like some did in ny when they heard a new shipment confirmed by the store.

18. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

I love when people start off a sentence with a qualifier like "not being racist, but..." and then go on to say racist things.

Two problems here:

1) You are a racist.

2) you only waited in line for 3.5 hours. At the very earliest that means you didn't get there until 2. Too late. Don't blame the "Asians" cuz you were tardy to the party.

I'd be superlatively mortified if I were you.

19. Summerfl, Mar 16, 2011

Summerfl macrumors newbie

Please calm down. :) You know what? All ipad 2s are made in China and most of them are shipped from China. But China even is not on the launching countries list. That just makes a lot of Chinese Apple fans angry and complaining. And that's why many people in that line bought 2. I heard that many Americans bought 4 at March 11th. Why don't you blame them? Because it's not customers' fault.

20. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

How would anyone know an Asian person is part of a group versus Americans or whomever. If want it, get in liner first. Both locations in atlanta was a white person who was first in line. YouTube video has this white there at 0430 in the morning. First come, first to choose.

21. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I'm sure Apple isn't happy about it but as others said, what are you going to do. Problem is in NY they are pretty up front about what they are doing in the line at the 5th Ave Store. When you got guys handing out $100 bills to people in line you know you got a problem. Then you see them on the street corner selling them and asking upwards to $2000 for the 64gb 3g out of large cloth bags. I guess the city could arrest them and confiscate the merchandise but what did that solve.

We all need to just get up and get out there in the line first.

22. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

What exactly would they be arrested for? It's not illegal to purchase items with the intent to resell.

23. Good.Shepherd macrumors member

24. treebark7182, Mar 16, 2011

treebark7182 thread starter macrumors member

Good god dude seriously? If you see a large group of people of the same ethnic background is there ANYTHING that can be said without it coming across racist? I said "asians" because they are "asian", as in from the continent of Asia. I injected absolutely no stereotype or degradation of any kind.

Theres a difference between noticing where someone is from and disliking someone from being from a particular place. I just find it wrong for people to horde things and take away from who they were intended for. I could care less who is doing it I just find what they're doing ethically wrong.

I work and I have a life. I can't camp out for days in front of a store. They sold almost 1k that night. If it was a line solely made of people who actually wanted one vs. someone trying to make a quick buck then every single person who wanted it would have one right now. There were hundreds and hundreds of people behind me so I wasn't a slouch in getting there.

25. treebark7182 thread starter macrumors member

I guess you're right. I really have no answer to the problem, but it doesn't make it less of one.