Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

3.3 Million Songs, 20,000 iMixes

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple announced that in the first week since the release of iTunes 4.5, users have purchased 3.3 million songs from the iTunes Music Store.

In addition, over 20,000 iMixes have been published by iTunes users. Finally, the week long free song promotion has resulted in over 500,000 free songs downloaded from artists Foo Fighters, Avril Lavigne, Courtney Love, Annie Lennox, Jane’s Addiction, Counting Crows, Renee Fleming and Nelly Furtado.

Apple maintains that the iTunes music store commands a 70% marketshare amongst legal music downloads for singles and albums.

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
I am curious whether last minute Pepsi downloads figure into that 3.3 million number

Comment

sw1tcher

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
DGFan said:
I am curious whether last minute Pepsi downloads figure into that 3.3 million number

Dont forget the 50,000 free songs Ben & Jerry's were giving away too.

I got 2.

Comment

claytonbench

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2002
Humboldt, KS
Congratulations Apple on 73.3 million downloads. I have downloaded 5 of those since iTunes 4.5

Macrumors said:
Apple announced that in the first week since the release of iTunes 4.5, users have purchased 3.3 million songs from the iTunes Music Store.

In addition, over 20,000 iMixes have been published by iTunes users. Finally, the week long free song promotion has resulted in over 500,000 free songs downloaded from artists Foo Fighters, Avril Lavigne, Courtney Love, Annie Lennox, Jane’s Addiction, Counting Crows, Renee Fleming and Nelly Furtado.

Apple maintains that the iTunes music store commands a 70% marketshare amongst legal music downloads for singles and albums.

Comment

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
DGFan said:
The press release emphasizes that the 3.3 million songs were purchased and the 500,000 free songs are additional downloads. I assume that the Pepsi downloads would also not be counted towards the 3.3 million.

I like the fact that Apple is adding new features to increase sales. The 3.3 million per week is a 172 mil a year pace--not bad. Things will only get better as more songs are added, more ipods are sold, and more people make iTMS their main media center. Could iTMS become the MTV of the digital music era?

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i got all but one of the free songs (foo fighters because i already have it) and i bought one song yesterday- the newest david bowie song it rocks but i think the free song thing is going to help get more and more people using iTunes

oh and its great publicity for the artists as well as incentive to get the rest of thier cd

Comment

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
As soon as I saw Foo Fighters on the iTMS, I bought all 4 of their albums :)

Comment

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
dongmin said:
The press release emphasizes that the 3.3 million songs were purchased and the 500,000 free songs are additional downloads. I assume that the Pepsi downloads would also not be counted towards the 3.3 million.

I like the fact that Apple is adding new features to increase sales. The 3.3 million per week is a 172 mil a year pace--not bad. Things will only get better as more songs are added, more ipods are sold, and more people make iTMS their main media center. Could iTMS become the MTV of the digital music era?

Yes, but when Apple announced the 70 million the term "sold" was also used. They did specify that Pepsi downloads were included in that number. So there is a history of Apple using the term "sold" to apply to Pepsi downloads.

In this case they specifically included the free song-a-day downloads separately. No mention was made of the Pepsi songs so I would assume that they would be included in the 3.3 million.

Comment

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I've done my part by downloading all the free songs I can :p

Only 500,000 free songs seems like such a small number, maybe people just don't like the songs being offered?

Comment

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
... nice ... and when they celebrate their 100th million song, they gonna release g5 rev b ???
.a

Comment

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
This is good news, people are using iTMS more.....

....today-online music, tommorow-the world! Muahahha...

BTW, I now LOVE the Foo Fighters, downloaded all of their albums...keep this Apple and I will go bankrupt within the month :D ;)

Comment

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
musicpyrite said:
This is good news, people are using iTMS more.....

....today-online music, tommorow-the world! Muahahha...

BTW, I now LOVE the Foo Fighters, downloaded all of their albums...keep this Apple and I will go bankrupt within the month :D ;)

The World will be tough. I lost 23 free song credits when the Pepsi promo ended because I didn't realize I had to use them*. As a result I decided to check out AllOfMP3.com which was discussed around the net last week. Over the weekend I downloaded 7 or 8 albums legally for a cost of around $2 per album. They are high quality songs (sometimes higher quality than iTMS songs) and DRM free. I still plan to shop at the iTMS for exclusives and more obscure songs. But when I want a popular mainstream album, there are other options that are much cheaper.

* I complained to Apple via email. I got a letter stating kindly that I should read the (confusing) terms and that they would not restore the credits. Two days later the credits were restored. *shrug*

Comment

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
I am not normally much into the more "gimmicky" things (like iMix, celebrity playlists, etc.) but I have to admit I've been having fun with iTunes 4.5. I downloaded about 30 tracks this past weekend :)

I found the new "links" they added in your iTunes library (from artists, albums, etc.) helpful when I was looking for a couple of things. I also liked the ability to watch a music video now and then through iTMS and access to radio station playlists. All in all, iTunes/iTMS is fast becoming the "hub" application for everything music that it is intended to be.

Comment

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
DGFan said:
Yes, but when Apple announced the 70 million the term "sold" was also used. They did specify that Pepsi downloads were included in that number. So there is a history of Apple using the term "sold" to apply to Pepsi downloads.

In this case they specifically included the free song-a-day downloads separately. No mention was made of the Pepsi songs so I would assume that they would be included in the 3.3 million.

Then again, Apple is getting paid for the Pepsi downloads, so they are, in fact, sold.

Comment

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
funkywhat2 said:
Then again, Apple is getting paid for the Pepsi downloads, so they are, in fact, sold.

Exactly.
And everyone who is smarter than I am was racing to use their credits by friday night.

Comment

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
Dippo said:
I've done my part by downloading all the free songs I can :p

Only 500,000 free songs seems like such a small number, maybe people just don't like the songs being offered?
I only downloaded 3 of them, and one I deleted once I got it. I kept Renee Fleming and Nelly, I deleted Avril, and I already own the Annie Lennox one. The rest sucked IMO. Wow that's odd, I only liked the female singers. *Shrug*

It's not like they are offering up hit songs for Free download.

Comment

Phazer80s

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Above the 49th
It's hard to be enthusiastic

I congratulate Apple on its success with the iTMS. It's great to see significant support of legal downloading. Still it's hard to be enthusiastic about the news when the service is restricted to the U.S.

Canada is the U.S.' biggest trading partner yet after a year we're still denied access to the Store. Apple has acknowledged the forthcoming Japan and Europe Music Stores but Canada hasn't received a single mention. We can't even access today's free download, "Try" by Nelly Furtado... and she's Canadian. :mad:

Comment

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
DGFan said:
The World will be tough. I lost 23 free song credits when the Pepsi promo ended because I didn't realize I had to use them*. As a result I decided to check out AllOfMP3.com which was discussed around the net last week. Over the weekend I downloaded 7 or 8 albums legally for a cost of around $2 per album. They are high quality songs (sometimes higher quality than iTMS songs) and DRM free. I still plan to shop at the iTMS for exclusives and more obscure songs. But when I want a popular mainstream album, there are other options that are much cheaper.

* I complained to Apple via email. I got a letter stating kindly that I should read the (confusing) terms and that they would not restore the credits. Two days later the credits were restored. *shrug*

Um, if you think AllOfMP3.com is legal, you are just fooling yourself. Do they pay the record label and the artists? No! For $2 an album they are the only one getting paid.

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
DGFan said:

Every single one of those Pepsi caps had a Redeem by 4/30/04 warning on them. In the Music Store, it said Redeem Song, and underneath it, Redeem by April 30 was written. Numerous Mac websites had threads and reminders that all credits must be redeemed by the 30th. If I were Apple, I would not have refunded the credits.

And claiming that allofmp3.com is legal is quite a stretch; it may be legal via Russian laws, but is almost assuredly illegal elsewhere. Do you think that the the Beatles catalogue is on allofmp3.com legally?

Comment

valypan

macrumors regular
May 21, 2002
Denmark
AllofMP3.com legal?

DGFan said:

It seems like this site you talk about is not 100% legal after all. It can exist due to a loophole in the russian law system, but it is by no means licensed or endorsed by the labels. You can read more about this here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/05/russian_mp3_site/

That said, Itunes is still the best 100% legal way to download songs. I love it! :)

Comment

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
Frisco said:
Um, if you think AllOfMP3.com is legal, you are just fooling yourself. Do they pay the record label and the artists? No! For $2 an album they are the only one getting paid.

Their site has been live for a LONG time offering free/pay steams and downloads of Russian music. They claim to have a legal license in Russia. According to their site they pay licensing fees to the labels and artists.

Russia may have different licensing laws than the USA. There may be mandatory licensing, for instance.

I am not going to presume that they are breaking the law until their site gets taken down.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.