3.33GHz BTO option on 2009 Quad Core... Worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VirtualRain, Dec 4, 2009.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

In keeping with the 2009 pricing, it's, well, unarguably a princely sum at $1200 over the 2.66.

One could do it themselves, buying the $1100 W3580 processor and hawking the W3520 for perhaps $100-$200... thus being out of pocket only $900-$1K.

So actually, Apple's $200 premium for the upgrade is not as bad as it could have been. :eek:

2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

doubt it .. i really just hope that this speed bump does not mean the next mac pro update isnt pushed back for 6 months or so

3. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

The next Mac Pro update is absolutely contingent on Intel and their release of Gulftown which appears on track for a late Q1 release from what I've read.

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I have the 3,3 GHz W5590 CPUs in the octad and much cheaper than Apple's price. :)

It is really amazing how Apple can contradict themselves. Phil Schiller explicitly assured the public four weeks ago that they had absolutely nothing new for 2009 in the pipeline. :rolleyes:

The two TB drives have been long due but at Apple prices only fools will buy them.

5. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

bumping the quadcore makes no sense .. and its absurdly expensive ... they should have just bumped up the base model specs .. even on the octo

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I thought that was a misprint when I first read it. I mean who the f**k is going to pay apple $550 USD for what is most likely a 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black?

7. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Lol Apple, obviously the Quad Mac Pro sales have taken a nose dive since the iMac i7 introduction. So they must have thought it necessary to put in a stop gap measure until the six cores will arrive in three months.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

MP Quad 3.33GHz base = $3699USD
    Dell T3500 (3.33GHz) can be had for ~$2500USD (web pricing; includes 1394 card and 3GB 1066 ECC memory, HDD = 320GB, then it's 500 or 750 to go up). And getting pricing over the phone is less $$$ as well. ;)

Hmm.... So the real question: Is OS X worth $1200USD? :eek: :p

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I recall reading Apple's price option is $1200. One can get the same CPU for under $1100 elsewhere, as you said. If you're confident and competent with computer hardware, it's a no-brainer.

Given the W3580 passes dual 2.26GHz Xeons while having more than enough oomph for single-threaded apps (which are plenty), it's not a bad investment either way...

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's a nice processor, but even getting one 3rd party is only a little cheaper than Apple's price, unless the system is a refurb. And even then, around $450 saved I think (refurb 2.66 = $2149 + $1100 for the CPU; USD). It

Not bad, but when you can get a system from another vendor for $1.2k USD less going new or $750 via the refurb + DIY the W3580 (same CPU, ECC memory), it's not so easy to "take a bite of the Apple". :p

11. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

damn i really want to buy a computer .. i really hope apple does offer the 12 core .. if not ill just get an imac:(

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It would seem that that would void the warranty?

13. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

So the real question: Is buying a piece of crap worth saving $1200USD?

14. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Yes and double yes.

15. iWillShowYou macrumors newbie

Check out the price of this computer

I've been thinking about building a Media Center computer to hook up to my 55" LCD for a personal xmas present. ;)

I did this on newegg last night.

Core i7-860 2.8ghz w/ Intel P55 LGA 1156 motherboard

16GB CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 SDRAM @1600 mhz

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready
    CrossFireX Support Video Card

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1850 MCE Kit 1128 PCI-Express x1 -- (I got two of these for a total of four tv tuners)

Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive -- (i will use this drive for OS)

Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive -- (i will use this drive for gaming)

Western Digital 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive -- (I will use this drive for Multimedia Storage)

Pioneer Black Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer SATA Model BDR-205BKS

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B

All-in-one Media card reader

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower
    Computer Case

CoolerMaster 1000w power supply

Grand Total w/ free shipping -- $2,446.32

I use windows because of windows media center, but a hackintosh would fly with this thing also im sure of that. I toned down the video card alittle just because they are so easy to replace and drop in price so rapidly, and with
    16gb of ram + 1gb video ram this will do more than what I need, at least for now.... :D

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

They're not crap. If they were, the enterprise market wouldn't be buying them to fill their workstation needs (or Sun and HP, which also make really decent servers and workstations). The T3500 systems use the same exact CPU series as the '09 MP Quads, have really good internal layouts, better warranties (real on-site service), more options, and are cheaper.

The only real differentiation is the OS, which is a matter of personal preference. And they can be hacked to run OS X. It just takes a bit of work.

For professional users, hacking isn't the ideal option, but ultimately, their decisions will be guided by their financial situation. So independents may begin to take this route. Large corporate entities are using other OS's by far over OS X, save a small niche here and there, and they're beginning to switch (3D apps work better under Windows, according to a few here that do 3D work using both OS X and Windows).

:confused:

17. No ice please macrumors 6502

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There should be Core i7 975 Extreme ones out already.

19. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

My God! Nothing like the first result of a google search.

20. snouter macrumors 6502a

Since you went there, that way...

I really really tried to buy a Mac Pro.

I just could not get into the 2.26 Octo at $3200 and the Quad 2.66 felt weird at $2500 since Microcenter sells the i7 920 for $200. I know the Mac Pro uses Xeons, but really... I'll put my i7 920 up against anyone's quad Xeon. Of course I'm running my $200 cpu at 3.6GHz on air, but I digress.

I stressed a month on this, considered refurbed Octo Harpertowns and in the end, I gambled that Microsoft would get it right with Windows 7 and home built this thing:

i7 920
    Asus P6T Deluxe2
    12GB ram
    1TB caviar black
    HD4890
    case, power, etc

$1200

Now before you go freak out on the "troll" just step back a second.

I'm no troll. I love my MacBook Pro and I've used Macs since they ran at 25MHz. Yes, MHz. I've had a 9500 604e 132MHz, 9500 dual 180MHz, G4 450, dual G4 800, dual G5 2GHz and that was my last desktop. I sold it while Apple wisely transitioned to Intel. If you want to talk OS 7, OS 8, OS 9, OS X, let's do it.

I'm down with Apple but they have just lost me of late as a desktop customer.

Windows 7 is Microsoft's best work in a long time, even if it is Vista done right, it's a tight OS that I have no issues using.

If you don't want an all in one iMac, and I don't... if just for the huge glossy screen alone... and if you don't want to spend $2500-$5000 for a desktop, Apple has nothing for you.

The real insult is the $40 video card. I can add ram and a hard drive to a Mac Pro, but then I have to up the video card as well?

I get it. It's an art studio computer for people who need to run Final Cut Pro. Adobe writes crap software for Apple, and they have for a long time now. Adobe has let the Copland / Carbon transition and the Flash war on the iPhone affect their product. They have no love for Apple and it shows.

Anyhow, to answer the OP... no, the 3.33GHz option is not worth it. And if you get weak one night and sip some Henny with your credit card in your lap... just think of me out there running my $200 i7 920 at 3.6GHz on air.

Apple, please, we only ask for two things in 2010.

1. 1680x1050 resolution on the freaking 15" MacBook Pro.
    2. A MacPro based on the i7 that sells for under $2000.

Looks like 2010 is going to be another sad year.

21. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i agree with you about building an i920 setup that runs at 3.6 for cheap .. and yes win7 is a very nice OS. I recently sold my pc off to buy a mac pro as im heading into the editing world and would like to use final cut .. etc .. my pc was a q6600 at 3.8 on air with 8gb of ram and sli .. but i am unable to use the software i need so it had to go ..

some i920s can hit 4ghz on air which is awesome

22. snouter macrumors 6502a

I only sort of edit, so Premiere Pro CS4 gets me by for clip assembly and audio levels tweaking. Of course, After Effects runs great on Windows and I never got into Motion.

Heavy FCP usage is about the only thing I could think of that justifies the MacPro and hopefully you'd be making money or working on a serious labor of love project.

3d and CAD hold their own fine on PC.

C'mon Apple, we've been asking for a $2000 headless forever now.

23. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Sad.... Very very sad.

I (almost) can't believe that Apple has the balls to charge $550.00 for a 2TB hard drive when they can be had full RETAIL for $300.00. And as low as $179.00 for the energy efficient variety.

The pricing czars for the Mac Pro are either legally retarded or amazingly arrogant. Of course the well-informed among us would never buy. I guess they need to rob Peter to pay Paul if they want lower MacBook prices.

24. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

I didn't realize that the 3.33GHz quad-core processor is a relative of the Core i7-975 Extreme.
    Who says Macs aren't gaming machines, albeit expensive gaming machines.

[​IMG]

25. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink this sorta speaks to a lot regarding the Mac Pro in general. None of the "informed" would buy it which are the people that should be purchasing a Mac Pro. Since most users don't need a Mac Pro and most would never use the power capabilities of it, those that are purchasing the upgrades from Apple in some sense are asking for it. Don't get me wrong, I almost bought a Mac Pro knowing damn well I would never get close to using its power - but that dream has been placed on hold.