Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
Wow, I am getting some consistently better speeds on my iPhone 4. Looks like those HSUPA/HSDPA upgrades have really made things faster, at least in my area (Quad Cities, IL/IA). I am getting 3-5 mbps down and 1.6 mbps up on a regular basis! Of course, sometimes it drops to 1-2 down when I don't have good reception, but in many areas (including my home/work), I easily get 4-5 down and 1.6 up no matter what time of day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCCbFXLaNIQ

Here's an article confirming the faster speeds as well:

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/716705-3-5g-iphone-4-blazes-where-supported.html

My co-worker just recently got an EVO 4G and wasn't even getting close to these speeds. Of course, there's no 4G in our area so we had to compare on 3G. He wasn't even breaking 1 mbps down and .5 up whereas I was over 3 mbps down and 1.6 up. I'm sure on 4G he would be doing better than this, but there's very little 4G coverage right now, so I'll take the 3.5G on my iPhone!

keyofnight

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Seattle, WA, USA.
Interesting. I only get 2Mbps down and 1.2Mbps down, but I live in Santa Cruz and they might not support the new standards down here.

I will say this though: 2Mbps is much faster than what I used to get, so I'm happy. :)

Perhaps I'll get twice that when I'm in LA or SF?

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Yep I get better speeds now too :)

144bno6.jpg

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
I'm on Long Island, NY, and tested a few times last night.
I got 2927-2999 Kbps down on the FCC speed test, and 1426-1619 up.
On the Xtreme Labs Speedtest, I somehow got 4685 down (two more consecutive tests were 3022 and 3522). The up speeds were 828 (on the same test with the 4685 down speed) and 838 and 813 on the other two.

Please note: These are not my typical speeds, but are much higher than I have gotten on my iPhone 3G. Overall, 3G speeds on my i4 are noticeably faster than my 3G.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
:eek: when did they upgrade speeds in Tacoma? Did they do it in Seattle, too? I didn't even know :D. Just felt speedier for some reason.

2eyzyia.png

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
Interesting. I only get 2Mbps down and 1.2Mbps down, but I live in Santa Cruz and they might not support the new standards down here.

I will say this though: 2Mbps is much faster than what I used to get, so I'm happy. :)

Perhaps I'll get twice that when I'm in LA or SF?

At Prunedale/Gilroy/Morgan Hill, it is already 3+ Mbps

EDIT: Here's my screenshot with the places labeled.
img0001h.png

doubleatheman

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
I'm actually down here in Olympia so I would assume Tacoma/Seattle has it also :)

Wow nice seeds for Olympia!! I have some family in Olympia, I remember 2 yers ago when I was there the speeds were horrible!!

I hope that you guys are right, because the 3G in my town is about 300kbps-1mbps. And were in a town of 60,000, and our town has fibre and Uverse service. Seems like AT&T should tap into that.

irwinm

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
OK - here is my speed on AT&T with my 3GS from outside in downtown LA just a few minutes ago - this is consistently what I get here which is why I'm considering dumping AT&T and iPhone - has anyone upgraded to iPhone 4 in LA and seen significantly better speeds around town? The best I have ever gotten is around 2 Mbs and that is a sporadic burst (average right around 1 Mbs or less), and I consistently get significant lag or just unable to connect even when my phone shows full bars and 3G icon. I really don't want to mess with changing, but only have a few more days to decide whether to keep EVO and the freakin at&t network is the biggest downside (I envy all of you who get those wifi like speeds).

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 45

macfanrutler

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
NJ
OK - here is my speed on AT&T with my 3GS from outside in downtown LA just a few minutes ago - this is consistently what I get here which is why I'm considering dumping AT&T and iPhone - has anyone upgraded to iPhone 4 in LA and seen significantly better speeds around town? The best I have ever gotten is around 2 Mbs and that is a sporadic burst (average right around 1 Mbs or less), and I consistently get significant lag or just unable to connect even when my phone shows full bars and 3G icon. I really don't want to mess with changing, but only have a few more days to decide whether to keep EVO and the freakin at&t network is the biggest downside (I envy all of you who get those wifi like speeds).

What is the phone symbol next to your signal.:confused: Where you on the phone when you took this?

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
8:45pm
Down: 4702 kbps
Up: 1664 kbps

Attachments

• IMG_0415.PNG
    IMG_0415.PNG
    274.5 KB · Views: 54

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles

Wow. That is pretty slow. Try restarting your phone?

I just did it real quick in silverlake and got 2405 down and 1149 up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.