3.5mm dongles = feedback no surprise

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acctman, Sep 20, 2016.

1. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

I'm getting a lot of static/feedback from the Apple dongle ... i wouldn't be surprised if the wire inside is already frayed. seriously this thing is cheaply made

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Zero issues here. Maybe you got a defective one. I do not think the build quality is cheap. Its no different than a lightning cable.

3. winterny macrumors 6502

I don't have mine yet, but certain types of headphones will make static/noise much more obvious than others -- eg, low impedance in-ear headphones will make those flaws very obvious, while high impedance over-hear headphones will hide most of that type of noise.

4. flamingoezz macrumors member

Honestly, the lightning cables are made pretty crappily too. My iphone 6 lightning cable died after a couple months. Apple replaced it under warranty and that one broke too before a year elapsed. I just broke down and bought a cable on amazon rather than going back and forth every 3-6 months.

With the older style iphone adaptor, spanning 5x as many devices I can't recall having a single cable fail. Even previous android devices I've had, the cables still work. For some reason, these lightning cables seem like junk.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Its definitely hit or miss. I'm still using the same cable from my iPhone 6 and have my 6s and 7Plus cable still in their boxes. I had 30pin cables fail on me all the time, but since the iPhone 5 I have only ever had one lightning cable replaced due to failure

6. darknyt macrumors 6502a

Wow, wish I had won that cable lottery. I've replaced at LEAST 15 original Apple cables from the Apple Store itself (between 5S, 6+, 6S+, 6, iPad Air and Air 2). I've done as many as three at a time in the store with my devices lined up on the table.

EVERY cable failed in EXACTLY the same place, right near the connector sleeve, starts as a wrinkle, then floppy foreskin, then tears cable and eventually cable if I let it go long enough. Same story for cables I ride rough, ones that never leave my desk/nightstand, ones my wife uses, etc.

I'm pretty much convinced Apple makes them intentionally crappy and hopes people don't realize they are replaceable under warranty and AC+. I make sure to mention it to anyone I know that I see has a failing cable. So far, not one person even thought about the warranty.

The only cable that's lasted me decently has been my iPad Pro cable and that's clearly made a little tougher. I don't have high expectations for the adapter. Will be hoping a decent alternative pops up soon

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I hardly ever use the cable while its plugged in. And if I do, I make sure to not rest the phone on my chest where the cable will bend. I've had a Magsafe wrinkle up and fray, but learned from 30pin cables and that has saved all my lightning cables for sure.

8. mbpharoh macrumors member

Best thing i have read all day, the lightning cable is cheap!

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you take proper care of it. They will last for years. I'm a proven example.

10. ThunderMasterMind macrumors 6502

ThunderMasterMind

For real... I still have the lightning cable from my iPod touch 5G from Nov. 2012. It's dirty, but not broken, and still works flawlessly.

11. HEK Suspended

HEK

I remember reading somewhere that the newer cables are made with environmentally safe materials and don't last as long as the original cables. The outside casing insulation. With that said I have just gone in and had them replace defective ones. Try that with most other companies and good luck.

12. EezyE macrumors regular

13. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I'm pretty sure that from what I read on Head-Fi showed that their was no difference between the adapter and the jack on the 6s.

As for cables, I have never understood the destroyed cables thing. I've never had a cable fail on me in the 9 years I have been using iPhones.

14. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

If you don't think that Lightning cables are cheap, then boy, do I have a fantastic bridge to sell you!

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Not sure how many times I need to state this. It's about taking care of them. They will last years without fraying if you take care of them.

16. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

I agree the lightning cables will last a long time if you take care of it. My wife and I still have the original cables when they first came out and MR users were still bitching at the change.

The foreskin symptoms on the connector base described above is a tell tale sign of tugging on the cable.

17. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

I disagree. While they will not stand up to abuse, I've had them fray apart due to entirely normal use under controlled conditions - more than enough to convince me that they are not sturdy enough.

18. flamingoezz macrumors member

Sounds like something Tim Cook would do...unfortunately its probably worse for the environment to have a million cables end up in a landfill every year than to just make them durably with the material they were using.

19. HEK Suspended

HEK

It's not only the disposal of material. It is also about the manufacture of things like the plastic outer insulator. If toxic or carcinogenic materials are released in making one type of plastic verses another. Millions of tons of material are produced annually to make these little cables.

20. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

That's because you're yanking it out by pulling on the cable rather than by pulling on the hard plastic part of the connector. No wonder you go through so many of them.

I had to replace one of my lightning cables last year ... because my puppy got ahold of it. Other than that, they last longer than I have my phones.

21. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

You mean like this? lol

[​IMG]

It's a little over a year old. It was always in a loose coil in a spot in my backpack that rarely moved. Was fine for a year or so, then a little bump, then a slight tear, then this. Still works, though.

22. darknyt macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but that doesn't really explain what I'm seeing. I get your point, but I'm not jerking them out all the time. Plus this is with cables that get very light use. It's across cables that I use and those that my wife uses.

Plus, I don't have this issue with ANY of the quality third party cables I have bought. Some have failed in different ways, but literally NONE of my 20 plus other cables have done this.

ONLY APPLE'S. So sorry, that explanation just doesn't jive.

23. malevolant macrumors 6502

Thats because what you're seeing is shielding. There are wires somewhere behind that mess of mesh.

PS still using my iPhone 5 charger from 4 years ago.

24. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

The dongle has a built-in DAC. The DAC may be faulty!

25. lordofthereef, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This topic has been beaten to death. But I don't think I should have to take special care of a cable packaged with my phone when I can buy a less expensive (read insignia or amazon selects) licensed cable and it lasts me longer. [please note I am defining less expensive as the msrp cost of a replacement cablenthst I will almost inevitably need anyway]

I've had a ten foot belkin I use in bed going on three years now. Yeah, I bought it to use in bed because my Apple cables crap out. I don't even open them anymore; they just sit in the box with the other paraphernalia. I basically pull the iPhone out and chuck the box in the closet haha.

Everyone is free to use their cables as they see fit. I'm of the opinion that Apple could do much better with their cables. Because others do. And for much less money.

As for the 3.5mm Adapter, it's going to be used in people's pockets. This is an environment I imagine will be much harsher than my bed or my car (another location I've had issues). That just has to be a given. Unless we are expecting everyone using it to place their phone on a desk or hold it in their hand or something. This thing breaking is absolutely something I foresee in my future if and when I get an iPhone without a jack (and I decide to keep using my current headphones).
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    This is the point I feel people avoid. Ok. I'll concede. I abuse my cables. I guess most every third party cable is just better able to take the abuse. And for less money.

Cables are honestly my biggest and virtually only gripe with Apple. Compared to everything else they make these just don't stand up.

This adapter being only $9 lends me hope though. Competition is likely to make a more durable product forns little more than half that, if history repeats itself. I have no problem with that.