3 have terrible service!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleCallum, May 28, 2010.

1. AppleCallum macrumors member

Just bought my 32GB 3G iPad from PC World and trying to activate the 3G package with 3 right now!

The agent has a poor grasp of English, cannot understand me and doesn't know what the iPad plan is! Great 3!

2. Locker macrumors 6502

They're the cheapest though :D

I'm quite impressed with Three. I've never had to deal with them on the phone but my MiFi gets 500Kbps speeds at home which is impressive seeing as I live in the middle of nowhere... I wasn't expecting a 3G signal at all (mind you, my iPhone is with O2 and I'm used to their very poor coverage).

3. Boblister macrumors 6502a

3 have great data prices now and the coverage is good. But customer service is crap. Your very very lucky if you get someone you can understand or understands you. If you have contract it's a struggle to leave.

4. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I feel your pain.

3's call centre has been using Bangalore's finest for a few years. When I was converting from 3 to O2 (for my iPhone), I got called every day from someone offering me this deal and that to stay. One of them even told me the Nokia N95 was better than the iPhone. :eek:

5. Boblister macrumors 6502a

I'm the same as you. Three are the only providers with a 3G signal here. Very reliable and fast.

6. AppleCallum thread starter macrumors member

Been trying for an hour to give them money - wouldn't like to be cancelling!

7. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

We can't win, can we?

O2 - best deal for PAYG (includes Openzone/Cloud wifi), can activate/manage on iPad, but comparatively poor coverage

Orange - better coverage than O2, but PAYG deal not great (no Openzone/Cloud wifi except on pay monthly), and cannot activate/manage on iPad

Vodafone - coverage better than O2 (if not as good as Orange), can activate/manage on iPad, international roaming rates the best, but UK tariffs are a joke (not even trying)

3 - supposedly the best coverage, and definitely the best tariff for heavy users, but cannot activate/manage on iPad and customer service could charitably be described as ****

Yer pays yer money...

8. AppleCallum thread starter macrumors member

Still going ... They need UK centrex!!

9. Hexxeh macrumors member

The vodafone on-device management doesn't appear to work yet. Called up Apple about this yesterday, they tried it in theirs too and had no joy. Gave me a case number and asked to me call back today if it still isn't working, which it isn't.

Anyone else got this working today? Just shows "no service" here for me.

10. Powierski macrumors newbie

Powierski

Got mine from the Apple store in Milton Keynes, the whole process was painless until I had to call 3 to activate my sim ... I think I must have given my address details at least 5 separate times and spelt my name more times than I can remember ......... Total call time was just short of 48 minutes!!!!! :(

I'm still waiting for the sim activation to complete so stuck with wifi until then.

Other than 3's communication issues Im really pleased with the iPad! :D

11. AppleCallum thread starter macrumors member

How hard is it to spell Brown?! Very according to my agent who asked for my last name no fewer than 8 times!

12. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Just picked up a 3 microsim from the Glasgow Apple Store - no charge. 20p saved. :)

13. linfieldfc macrumors newbie

i had a mobile contract a couple of years ago with 3. When the contract ended and O2 offered me an iphone and a great deal so i decided to cancel my 3 contract and take up o2's offer. Whenever i rang 3 to do this simple task they started offering me umpteen deals on inferior phones. I told them they i didnt want these deals and they guy flat out refused to take no for an answer. he was obviously in an indian call centre and didnt understand English.

To top it all off I went to a 3 store and the manager there phoned them on my behalf. the remarkable thing was, that the manager got the same response and was told by the guy on the other end of the phone that "he was going to be reported for letting a customer go". Just a warning guys if 3 are the cheapest you have to realise they have terrible customer service (and i mean terrible, the worst I have ever come across).

PS. I havent mentioned that they threatened to take me to court for unpaid bills after i had cancelled the contract????

14. opo101 macrumors member

Just set up with three.

Took 15 mins,

trick is to be patient, and make sure you spell everything out, word by word.

They guys are friendly enough and just doing their job.

15. kyrosho macrumors newbie

Hey... Is the Service already immediately after activition?

The customer service service is Crap....

I told him my address 3 times. And, he asked what is Coventry?

I used Visa and he asked issue no...

It took me 40 min but I still cant on online:(

16. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Just spent an excrutiating hour on the phone to some 3 rep in South Africa.

A number of things held up progress -

First she was entering the last 3 digits of my card number as my verification instead of the 3 digits on the back of the card. She did this several times saying this is how it works - each time the card was refused until she eventually buckled to my suggestion of using the correct verification number.

Then, as I've only been with the bank for a year, she said I couldn't proceed.

Fortunately, I have another personal bank account, so could continue using that.

Then, as I have only lived at my current address for a year, she said I couldn't be accepted.

A few minutes on hold and suddenly she wants my current account and sort code to set up a direct debit. :confused:

Then all of a sudden she said "that's it completed" and the call ended.

No idea what I'm going to end up with - probably get a PAYG handset through my door in a couple of weeks (and no iPad 3G reception).

Worst system in the history of bad systems - no on-line option is unforgiveable in this day and age. Especially when the only option is to confront your customers with clueless people from the other side of the planet.

Anyway, hope I don't have to call them again too soon. Cancelling should be another laugh!

Wonder how long it will take to activate (it at all)...

17. spinstorm macrumors 68000

I have terrible coverage on every network except O2.

3 is the worst!

Having said that I'm using a cut up mobile broadband sim in my 3G as
    It doesent auto renew which I prefer.

18. jonnyb macrumors 65816

It varies wherever you are though. I get horrible O2 coverage, half-decent Orange coverage and speed (1.5Mbps) and really rather impressive 3 coverage and impressive speeds (3.5-4Mbps) in London WC1

19. AppleCallum thread starter macrumors member

Just now calling Tech to ask why I still can't connect using 3G!!
    Grrrrr!!

20. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Let me know how you get on - still no connection for me either.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm in Rural Ireland. I use 3 with my iPad.
    Get average of 2.5mbps download. This morning it was upto 3.5mbps

I have tried o2 (previously on contract with them).
    Varied between .5 & 1.5 mb down.

As for Vodafone. Originally I was with O2, and got 3G coverage in my area - somewhat sporadic as it was... However, I then ported to Vodafone as they offered a better deal for the iphone minutes wise and price wise.
    With my new iPhone 3GS 32GB. I rarely EVER get a 3G coverage signal in my area. Would not even bother my ass to try their mobile broadband in the area going on my iphone. The same area I get full 3 coverage.

Three in Ireland were awarded the National Broadband Scheme to deliver broadband in remote rural locations which would otherwise never get broadband. Hence they actually have very good coverage here. No matter where I am in Kerry, I pretty much get full 3G coverage.

15GB per month for €19.99 on a mobile sim 30 day contract and good coverage. Simply cut up the sim they provided and it works a treat.

Biggest criticism of 3 is that customer service is obviously in Bangalore or Mumbai, and miscommunication from a communications company leads to inevitable frustration.

22. kyrosho macrumors newbie

same here... still no connection

23. kyrosho macrumors newbie

I just phoned 3 the technical support at 08433730500

It was UK based and they were very helpful...

They tracked back my order (they cant identified my sim), and they found that my order was totally misinputed.

I told them the bad sales team today and how bad was the process. They said that they just shut down the whole centre of today morning's sales now and switched to another centre, which are with better training and english. He assured that it wont happen again (hopefully).

Well, I have to wait for another three hours.

For those who havent connected, pls do call.

24. AppleCallum thread starter macrumors member

I have been told that Three have set up all iPad contracts as a voice package due to their sales staff not speaking English this morning! I've been told to wait 24 hours but told them to shove it and went with Orange instead!

Cal

25. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

FFS!