3 Mac's - Family Pack of Leopard required?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sean Dempsey, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Is it possible to use the single user disc to install on 3 machines? I have 3 mac's, but do I need to buy the family pack or can I just use the single user disk?

Seems silly for a person to have to spend 70 dollars more for having more than 1 computer.

What happens if you use a single user disk on more than 1 computer?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's possible, but it is technically illegal to use a copy licensed for one machine on 3.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

To date Apple have not included any measures on OSX to prevent you defrauding them and installing the OS from a single license onto multiple machines. This is explicitly against the EULA you agree to when you install the software so Apple could potentially sue you for breach of contract.

To install Leopard legally on 3 machines you must buy the Family Pack.

4. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

but nobody needs to know your only using 1 license ;)

5. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I'll just buy the famliy pack then. I didn't know if it applied to people, or machines.

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

And the next thing we all know, Apple will have some of the same license crap as MS does.

7. whistler72 macrumors member

the rate that Apple is going, it's only a matter of time.

8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Touche.

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

so I have an iMac and a mbp that I'll want to install leopard on (both used only by me).

You're saying that the single license WILL work? So the only reason why someone would buy the family pack then is to please their guilty conscience?

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

that seems to be the jist of it. i agree needs to be limited to people not computers....

11. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

lol, it's dumb of apple to do that then. I was all set to buy the family pack because i thought it would only let me install it on one mac.

So are the two discs the same except one says family pack on it (and when you install it)? Can you do the exact same thing with both versions? (i.e. install on multiple macs)?

At this point, then, buying the family version is almost like you saying "here apple, have 70 bucks!"

12. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

LOL, it would seem!

Then again, Macs are for computer illiterate fools who would never contemplate this sort of thing. :)

13. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Am I ever glad I read this thread...

I mean, with windows, if you have one CD, you can install it on multiple computers (but not legally i'm guessing). I just assumed apple would be smart enough to make it so that the single liscence only installs on one computer. Then, I would just buy the family (im not the type of person to spend hours trying to crack it by burning it or whatever) - but by letting me install the single liscence on multiple macs, it's like SJ is begging me to do it...no problem steve :)

14. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

What are you trying to do, encourage Apple to introduce MS-like licensing?

15. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

...and to sell to your friends for cheap installz :D

16. mkaake macrumors 65816

Well, if abiding by the terms and conditions that you agree to is 'pleasing your guilty conscience', then yes, I suppose you could look at it that way. Many of us would rather pay the money that's asked for a piece of software, rather than take advantage of the fact that Apple doesn't put any active copy protection in place.

17. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

This is the dumbest thread I've ever read...seriously.

You need a copy of OS X for every machine you have. Just like any other operating system.

It's like saying I've got three cars but I can only drive one at a time so I'll just tax one of them...jeesh.

18. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Apple copy protection is the Apple hardware ;)

Apple knows that Apple users will no doubt buy a family pack because alot of them are an uninformed bunch.

19. gormond macrumors regular

Worst thing about MS crap is that the people it irritates are the people who buy it and for some reason it don't validate.

20. AJClayton macrumors 6502

AJClayton

With Tiger there was no copy protection on the install DVD. Although I don't know for sure I doubt that that this will change with Leopard.

What this boils down to is how seriously you take the end user licence agreement. If you're the kind of person who doesn't mind copying software then you probably won't think twice about installing a single user copy on lots of machines. However, if you want to observe the licensing then you'll pay for the family pack. I've got two Macs and will, therefore, be buying a family pack.

It makes no difference if there IS or ISN'T copy protection on the disc. This doesn't make it any less illegal to break the EULA.

Those who are commenting that Apple is being stupid and "asking" for you to install multiple copies of the OS from a single disc: Would you expect to go into a shop and pay for one can of soft drink but walk out with an armful of them because they're on the shelf and not locked away in a cupboard? :eek: *THINK* about what you're saying! Software isn't different to anything else and what you propose is still, when you get down to it, stealing.

Lecture over! :)

<Phew> I feel better now. I'm off for a lie down ;-)

21. gormond macrumors regular

Couldn't agree more, I have 2 PCs and a laptop and none of them have software installed that hasn't been paid for. not because I don't know how to get it (I can use UseNet and torrents as easy as the next guy) but because I know it to be wrong. Software Piracy hurts the industry, if you don't think its worth the money then don't buy it.

Of coarse my opinion may not be the same for video piracy, in the UK we have to wait upto a year for TV shows like Heroes to hit the UK legally, so if you want to see it before someone spoils the plot for you, you have no option. Would you say its just as illegal to do that even if you buy it as soon as its available?

(Bought Heroes Season 1 DVD from the US because i couldnt wait for it to be released here :) )

22. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

1.) The question 'do I have to buy 3 licenses for 3 Macs' was asked.
    2.) The answer came that strictly speaking you do for license terms, but physically no.

So I see no reason why you are describing this as a dumb thread.

With car tax, the chances of being caught are high as are the penalties.

With lending a DVD to a friend to watch, the chances of being caught are miniscule.

Both are illegal activities, but I suspect number the second is more widespread and morally far less wrong. And I'd be surprised if you'd never done the second.

Depends if you as individual feel good that you've bought three licenses and followed the rules. Or if you feel like an idiot who might as well flushed his money down the toilet.

I know what I'd feel like and the level of guilt I would or would not feel ;)

23. DaveF macrumors 6502a

It's weird watching people bemoan Apple's hypothetical path to Microsoft-licensing terms while they encourage the user behavior that would lead Apple to do just that.

The family pack licensing is a great thing. For a paltry $20 Apple formally allows you to install the software on four additional computers in your household. It costs $80 for iLife; the family pack is $100. I don't know of any other software with similar terms.

Yes, a person can buy the single version and install it on every computer within reach. For that matter, you can illegitimately download the software for free and give it to everyone you want.

Or, for a quite reasonable price, you pay Apple for great software -- and so help ensure continued revisions and upgrades -- and install it on five Macs in your house.

(And, if you have a corporate or edu discount, it's even cheaper. I bought iLife 08 family pack for $80, with tax for just two computers.)

24. mkaake macrumors 65816

I'd disagree with that. I've had more non-tech people ask me if they can just copy an OS from somebody else's installer than tech folks. Most tech folks assume there's copy protection without ever asking.

In any event, as stated by others (and myself), the right thing to do is to buy a copy of the OS for every mac that you install it on - simple as that.

25. illicium macrumors regular

just a thought

This isnt aresponse to any specific person, just a thought.

Just because someone leaves their car unlocked doesn't make it legal or right to steal it.