3 Network comming to Iphone! (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone3gs, Sep 13, 2009.

?

3 network on the Iphone (UK) good idea?

1. yes

54.5%
  2. no

40.9%
  3. other

4.5%
  1. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

3 Network comming to Iphone!

You may know that Tmobile/orange will be selling Iphone 3g from oct 2009 and Tmobile have already stated selling to their customers that pay above £75 a month on their contracts.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/04/t-mobile-uk-sneakily-offering-iphone-3g-to-moneyed-customers/

-------------------

3 have been trying to get Iphone deals. And it would be great if 3 can sell the Iphone.

They are way cheaper then all the other providers, also they have started adding loads of extra bases and back up bases for network coverage.

They will also implementing higher speeds of 3g about 7Mbs. Speeds that are normally reached on laptops.

But this will take some time.

For more detail info on this do contact 3

0870 333 3354

http://threestore.three.co.uk/Upgrades/help.aspx

Also AT&T details 3G plans

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/telecoms/2009/0909110908.asp?A=TEL&S=Telecoms&T=News&O=ST

AT&T spelled out its plans for improvements to its mobile data network and the wireless carrier will roll out networks based on HSPA 7.2 technology in six major markets by the end of the year, reports InformationWeek.

advertisement
    Click here
    The second-largest US carrier said Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, and Miami will receive this upgrade before 2010. The mobile operator will also be deploying additional backhaul capacity to the cell towers in these markets.

AT&T plans to deploy HSPA 7.2 to about 90% of its 3G footprint by the end of 2011 and then plans to roll out 4G networks based on long-term evolution technology (LTE)

2. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Getting as many networks as possible providing service for the iPhone can only be a good thing I guess.

I wouldn't go to 3 though, they're crap, and if you don't have 3G signal you have to roam to O2 anyway.

3. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

3 UK launches Mi-Fi connector – converting 3G to Wi-Fi

http://www.unthinkable.biz/home/article/537/

3 UK launches Mi-Fi connector – converting 3G to Wi-Fi

UK 3G cellular operator 3 UK said over the weekend that it would begin delivery of a new device – dubbed Mi-Fi, which has a 3G data connection to the network but converts that to Wi-Fi for sharing around the home.

Other 3G routers have been launched by small start ups in the UK but we think this is the first time that a major operator has put the product on its books. The Mi-Fi will be available on September 17th from the 3 web site or from its stores around the UK.

There are two ways of buying it, one as a monthly contract (you only need to commit for one month at a time) which comes with 5GB of data and costs £15 a month. If you take that deal the Mi-Fi modem costs £70. Or you can buy it for £100 and it comes with 3GB of data which can be used over a 3 month period and then topped up on a Pay As You Go basis.

3 claims that it has the biggest UK 3G coverage, which makes sense since the other networks have GSM networks to fall back on and it doesn’t.

The idea is that you can connect multiple devices to the internet at the same time, and 3 gives the examples of a netbook and an iPod touch, making it quite clear that iPod or even iPhone owners can use the Wi-Fi on the 3 network.

You don’t need to install any software. Just insert the 3 UK SIM, switch on the wireless modem and connect to the mobile Internet using a Wi-Fi signal. A Wi-Fi enabled device will automatically pick up the signal and ask for an eight-digit network key which you will have to put in just once for every new device you want to connect.

Marc Allera, Sales & Marketing Director at 3 UK says, “Mobile Wi-Fi is the future of internet access on the move and we’re bringing it to customers at price points that make it accessible and affordable.”

Like all of the 3 UK wireless modems this one is made by China’s Huawei, it is 86 x 46 x 10 millimetres and weighs just 90 grams.

It supports HSDPA up to 7.2Mbps, and although it has no internal memory, it can take a 32GB micro SD card. It outputs 802.11b and g wi-fi, not the new N type and can be used on battery (without being plugged in so on the go) for 5 hours.

why are they crap?

Their customer service is excellent.
    Their are now significantly introducing more base stations. They have more 3g coverage then any other network around the uk.

4. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Last time I checked (though this could have changed) 3 had terrible customer service, calls and texts cost the most out of all networks, and the minimum you can top-up on pay as you go was £15 and it would expire in 30 days if you didn't use it.

Plus they had a "walled garden" on their Internet service which means you can only use their 3 site, and you have to pay them extra to remove it for each individual site or a whole Internet access package for more money.

5. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

From people i have talked to their customer service has greatly improved.

They are on support if you need help 24/7. Unlike other providers were you have to wait for their opening times.

Also you dont wait on the phone for long like you do with 02/tmobile etc. You get through straight away after going through the options (which is easy) unlike o2 which most of the time their options are not that helpful.

As for the top up, you can top up less then £15.
    On pay as you go 3 sim you get unlimited 3 to 3 calls.

Any other reasons why you say 3 are crap apart from your invalid statments (which i understand you did check long time ago- things have changed)

http://www.three.co.uk/Pay_As_You_Go

On the 3 pay as you go sim. They have free calls forever 3 to 3, unlimited internet etc.

Check their website link above.

Imagine this on an Iphone.

If 3 were selling Iphone they would do really well, many people have been trying to make their 3 sims on their unlocked iphone, but it wil be far better for 3 and Apple if Iphone was selling with 3 network.

Apple can do with the sales, and people would benefit with better coverage, faster speeds and cheaper rates.

http://www.mobileindustryreview.com/2009/08/uk_iphone_users_what_network_will_you_migrate_to.html

UK iPhone users: What network will you migrate to?

o2’s network errors aren’t doing them any favours given they apparently lose their UK iPhone exclusivity deal on the 9th of October.

Which network is going to be your operator of choice for iPhone?

3? Vodafone? Orange? T-Mobile?

Or, will you be staying loyal to o2?

Id tell everyone go to 3!

They have excellent customer service - pen 24/7 no waiitng times on phone
    Cheaper- low cost
    More coverage
    Faster speeds they will be introducing soon

Loads of people are already unlocking their Iphones and using 3 sim.

6. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Very interesting, when upgrade time comes I'll see what's going on then.

7. rustyknife macrumors newbie

im a loyal o2 customer, for the single reason they are a great network. The way i see it, the important factor is signal, i NEVER have problems with signal on 02, orange is terrible as is tmoblie and 3 is even worse.

Even with promised improvements to network, 3 will not have a better network that o2.

The comment about 3 network using the o2 masts when there is no coverage is incorrect as of early 2007, they now use orange, this ads to 3 being useless for signal, because the orange network is far from comprehensive.

I think the UK will beefit from iphone going on other networks, but i would like to see it on vodaphone and o2 and thats it, they run far better networks, and as for pricing, if you are pulled in by a better 'deal' of more texts or minutes, remember that you are still paying for your contract when you have no signal, and it doesnt matter how free or how many mins/texts you have if you cant use them.

Im looking at getting an iphone atm, and will be getting one this week when they are back in stock. I know i dont need to wait for it to come out on another network because i wouldnt go with anyone else even if it did.

For the record, i realise this is my first post, and comes accross as very pro o2, this is just from my experience, and where i live also plays a part im sure. But its worth remembering being locked in for 18/24 months to get one of these, i would rather pick using the facts and past experience, than promised better coverage and aggressive pricing.

8. rcarranza macrumors member

Looks like someone works for 3!!

There is not a chance in hell I would want the iPhone on 3. For a start they would demand their own software on it which would ruin the iPhone experience. Anyone who has any experience with a 3 locked handset will tell you it causes more problems with the device than normal. And sometimes they have blocked sim cards/phones if the sim is not in a 3 locked handset while continuing to charge you line rental.

As for 3 to 3 calls. I know no one else on 3 because the reception is so poor. Hence, pointless.

The signal is very poor outside of major cities and customer service is appalling. 3 is the only mobile company NOT to operate a faulty exchange policy and are they are very quick to fob you off if you have any problems.

Oh and recently 3 closed 26 call centres in India which has lead to longer waiting times AND it led to former employees phoning customers and threatening them. Now thats GREAT customer service!! http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article2619687.ece
    http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2009100

I don't think O2 is that great but its a damn sight better then 3. If I were to go onto any other network it would be T-Mobile, which seems pointless since the T-Mobile/Orange merger.

9. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Now that's the 3 I know!

10. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

I would personally like to see an android phone on 3.

As for the signal strength. I have never had a problem. I believe that its almost as good if not better than 02.

the customer service is alright. some people have had bad experiences. But if you have the patience to listen to a foreign person for a few minutes then you will be fine :)

11. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

3 are CRAP!

I actually believe O2 have the best coverage (how this stands with the recent T-Mobile/Orange merger I don't know) and that's from an OFCOM report

And Vodafone have the quickest speeds (I think), having just rolled out 14.4Mbps in certain areas of the UK!

I am hoping for all carriers to get the iPhone to allow for equal competing and to actually allow customers to have the choice. Should all carriers get this phone be prepared to watch prices plummit!

Also, please use a spell checker. Its 'iPhone', 'coming' and your thread title should be 'iPhone coming to 3 Network (UK)'

Oh, and you clearly work for 3

12. sorchard macrumors regular

I hope 3 don't "get" the iPhone.

Their data network is humming along quite nicely and I don't want it being ruined. I also like the free data allowance, Skype (yeah, a network that promotes it, strange) and MSN.

Chris, o2 have the worst 3g coverage. The OFCOM report will show this and they're the only 3G network to have been threatened with a fine if things don't improve. 3 and T-Mobile have the best coverage once the merger has gone through (not the proposed T-Mobile/Orange merger, this is a much older merger of their radio networks).

Apple and Palm picked the right network to make their phones exclusive on, one that has crap 3G speeds (do they still cap PAYG users to 384k?) and crap coverage.

Vodafone might have the best headline speeds, if you can get a signal. They have lots of 3G down here according to their maps but I never got anything other than GPRS when I tried one of their dongles.

13. sorchard macrumors regular

You have a *very* dated view of 3, circa 2004 ish.

Unlike o2, they removed the walled garden and started proper internet access ages ago. o2 (on PAYG) have only started to do this with the iPhone, amazing how "technical reasons" suddenly go away when you've paid Apple a ton.

Their topups don't expire, and the minimum is £10. I think they're quite competitive on outgoing calls (not sure about incoming, their number ranges used to cost more than the rest) and they don't roam on O2 anymore, they roam on Orange. Even that is disappearing in areas that they think their own 3G coverage is good enough.

14. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

There should be a "HELL NO" option.

This made me laugh. Their customer service scammed me, lied to me, hung up on me and eventually yelled (literally) down the phone at me that the fact that I was paying more than double the amount I was meant to be was my fault and not their's and they weren't going to be doing anything about it.

I've never come across such a shower of complete and utter unscrupulous bastards in my life. When I did finally get out of contract with them the shites even overcharged me on my final bill (as in withdrew more than they'd billed me for) then stopped replying to all phonecalls, emails etc about the matter

Hideous service as well. I never made it through a single phonecall in a year with them without it dropping. This if I could get signal in the first place.

They're the reason I will never sign up for a phone contract again. Complete shysters. I don't know a single person who was happy with them

My thoughts exactly.

I'm personally very fond of O2 (who I fled back to after the 3 debacle) and T-Mobile (although they tend to stick in lots of extra little charges)

15. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Really, because I thought I read here and elsewhere that O2 came out quite well in terms of 3G. Also, the merger that I am talking about is the Orange and T-Mobile merger, that, if approved, will give them a customer base of 28.4 million subscribers. Most of the networks in the UK have talked about a merger in terms of sharing cell sites to help minimise costs etc. Not sure how far along they are tho.

Also, the speeds advertised are hypothetical maximums and not ever going to be reached by anyone anywhere. And the speed issue could be caused by a number of things, such as location, weather, the building you're in, the amount of people connected to the same cell, and the dongle you are using. You might also wanna check the speeds that are available in your area, as it's not equal across the country. You should be getting at least 3.6 or maybe 7.2 tho. Oh and as for signal, I have been able to get signal pretty much anywhere, even on a canal boat in the middle of no-where. Don't get me wrong, I don't get signal everywhere, but I get full 3G signal where I live on Voda, yet comapred to O2, I barely get signal. I live in an urban area, and that is poor. No signal on 3l. Not tried Orange or T-Mobile.

As I said previoulsy, I want all operators to get it. It would allow for cheaper tariffs, more comptetion and give people the choice. And the distibution of users across all networks would mean that one network won't be crippled by a lot of users with a lot of data

16. megastuff999 macrumors member

Just to chuck my penny in...

I have found O2's signal laughably bad where I am. So much so, I have jailbroken my iPhone 3GS for the sole purpose of making and receiving calls using a different network. I thought the phone was at fault until someone suggested O2 might be the problem...

I was getting 'No Signal' messages constantly, people telling me it always went straight to voicemail when they called and it seems you can only get 3G on O2 in about 3 places in the whole of the UK! It's terrible where I am...

So, with Orange, I've just got free broadband, free unlimited mobile data, 200 mins talk time (fine for me) and unlimited texts. £14.60 a month.

O2 contract expires in Jan. Won't be renewing...

17. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

i too aint renewing contract with o2.

iv got 3 sim.

500 mins anytime xnetwork
    100 text
    2000 3 to 3 mins
    £4/month

i can have unlimited internet for an extra £5/month

18. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

Iphone 4 on 3 network

as i said months ago...leave O2..as their network priceing is..is very bad....

http://top10.com/mobilephones/news/2010/06/o2_iphone_4_tariff_deals_announced/

3, T-Mobile, Vodafone are all expected to announce their tariffs imminently and have all launched pre-registration pages on their web presences. Virgin Media, which has never before offered iPhones for sale, is strongly rumoured to be in talks with Apple with a view to adding the handset to its product line.

19. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

3 tariff

for £30/ month.

You get 500 mins any time any network
    Unlimited text
    Unlimited internet wifi
    1gb Data allowance usage
    Unlimited 3 to 3 calls
    +£100 for the Iphone (if you already have a 3 tariff -you can negotiate and they may reduce the Iphone price to £79).
    You can put a cap on your cost to £0.00, so that you dont go over your extra cost.

20. riz78612 macrumors regular

Three is the best network for iphone 4

Three is the best network for iphone 4 and cheapest

2000 mins any time any network
    unlimited internet (all you can eat data)
    unlimited text (5000 cap)
    unlimited three to three calls...

How much you say?

Only £35/month + £69 for the iphone 4

(24 month contract)

smashes any other network prices even with discount im sure.

21. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

Absolutely no way am I going to to ever use the '3' network, had a family member who had problems with their dire customer service.
    I'm currently with O2 and get good reception in my area (Birmingham) and do a lot of travelling to London and reception there is great. So I have no qualms with O2.

22. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's on a 2 year contract, though. If you can afford the initial cost, buying an iPhone unlocked and signing up to a SIM only plan (be it 30 day rolling or 12 month) can save you a lot of money. You will get great deals on your tariff allowances too, not to mention the resale value of your phone will be higher. Plus you won't have a contract hanging over your head.

23. riz78612 macrumors regular

do the calcualtion -

even with the 24 month contract...you can re-sale your iphone anytime..be at after 12 months before the new iphone comes out.
    Sim only deal- no sim only deal can beat this price offer...this has unlimited internet no other network has that.

You would pay £500 for an iphone.

Paying upfront £69 +
    just count 12 months contract for the time being (£35 x 12 months) = £420

For 12 months : £69 + £420 = £479.

Of course you will still have another 12 months to go...you can sell your iphone 4 for about £450 and pay for the new Iphone 5 (or iphone X).

Way better then paying for Iphone pay as you go and then sim free contract.

24. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

Has anyone got iPhone 4 with THREE recently how is the speed on the Internet?

25. pauldolling macrumors newbie

I have been with 3 for 3 years and have no problems whatsoever. Got the iPhone4 in November 2010 and very impressed with the internet speed. Highly recommend them.