Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
I have recently upgraded my CPU from a QC 2.8 to 6 core X5690

I understand I can add slightly more faster RAM in there

Currently I have 16gb ram which is fine (4x4gb)

Would the MP function fine if I added 3x8gb or 3x16GB modules instead of using all 4 modules.

Would there be any power saving using 3 modules instead of 4 - like the newer PS4 that uses one less Ram slot and therefore, less power and is slightly quieter.

Also, what ram whould I get as i cant find the faster ram on crucial.

Arron Rouse

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Chichester, UK

If it's fine, why mess?

Would the MP function fine if I added 3x8gb or 3x16GB modules instead of using all 4 modules.

Yes. In a few edge cases, it's slightly faster that way. In most cases though, it's better to use 4 and not run out of RAM.

Would there be any power saving using 3 modules instead of 4 - like the newer PS4 that uses one less Ram slot and therefore, less power and is slightly quieter.

Technically, yes. However, it's only a few Watts.

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Apple/mac-pro-3*33ghz-six-core-mid-2012

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I have recently upgraded my CPU from a QC 2.8 to 6 core X5690

I understand I can add slightly more faster RAM in there

Faster ram is useless best you can get any benefit out of is 1333mhz the hardwired limit of the chips anything faster put into it will drop back to that speed. Four vs three sticks you will lose a couple of percent in synthetic speed testing who knows with actual usage you would need to test on a app by app basis to confirm any difference. For the most part unless you see heavy usage of swap on your machine when doing your day to day tasks upgrading the ram is pointless waste of money for something you do not need. Power usage definitely savings if you keep your current ram and drop back to twelve higher density ram means more power consumed when upgrading as there is more ram to keep powered up.

Edit: If you really want to see a real speed difference since I see no mention of SSD drive one of them will make it much snappier when loading anything from it.

Reactions: ActionableMango
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.