3 strike replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Nov 11, 2009.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Is that how Apple usually works?
    3 strikes and they replace your Machine?

My laptop has been giving me problems, and I brought it into them and they did a diagnostic test overnight with it and came to the conclusion that they were going to replace the logic board. They did, and the problems are still there. Now I will have to bring it back again, which kind of sucks because not only is it a 40 minute drive, I also have to be without my laptop for 4-7ish days.
    So, how often does Apple just replace your machine instead of repairing it over and over?
    Not that I'm just out for a new laptop, I'm very content with mine assuming it works correctly. I just don't want to have to keep bringing it back.

2. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

It all depends on the manager, but a general rule is 3 repairs, then replacement. You can try calling AppleCare, they might be nice and replace right away

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

this is a common misconception....

its 3 major repairs , meaning logic boards / lcd screens.

sometimes they will replace under certain circumstances, but for instance if you have a wireless card replace , a keyboard and a harddirve....they most likely would not warrant a new machine.

it has to do with the machine no longer worth being repaired, but rather refurbished, which in that case apple will replace your machine with a new one.

ps, my mac caught on fire and they did not want to replace it, eventually i was awarded with a upgraded notebook due to the hard time i was given.

work your way up the ladder until you get customer relations or corporate relations, those guys can do some wonders.

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I would never recommend having the machine serviced at an Apple Store. My experience tells me that it is faster to call AppleCare and ship it off to a repair center. They will send you a box and you simply pack it up and call for a pickup. Generally speaking, Apple will make three attempts to fix the same issue before replacing the computer.

5. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Don't they fix some stuff in house though? If they ship everything out anyway I see your point...I had thought it might be easier to go in some cases.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

From what I've experience and heard, it's unofficially 3 major repairs, 4 repairs of the same issue/part, or 5 minor repairs. (BTW 3 major parts replaced in one job is still one repair).

7. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I had a hard drive go out in my 8 month old uMBP and I arranged a quick drop through Applecare. It took the Lenox Square Apple Store 13 days to swap out the drive with no transfer of data or added tasks. Thirteen days to swap a hard drive? I guess those hard drives are tough to get, they were rude and hung up on me when I called to check the status. I had another issue a month ago and it took three days to ship, repair and return the computer from the Memphis depot.

8. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

To me this is unacceptable and I don't think that I am an unreasonable person. Companies build shoddy quality because we still buy it because we have no option and they know it. I am paying for a product that works and if it doesn't once I can let it slide as stuff happens but for the price point we are talking about here there is no excuse for someone to have to send their machines in multiple times. Extended warranties and Apple care are a bunch of nonsense and you should not have to pay to have their craftsmanship covered for more than one year. Even in the EU national laws usually require sellers to warranty computers for 2-3 years even if the manufacturer only gives one year. I say 3 years minimum on a laptop is more fair.

9. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

They do fix stuff in house, though they have to order the part they are replacing some of the time. (They had to order a logic board for mine when they were going to repair it.)
    After the logic board got in, it only took them 2 days to repair,
    which isn't bad. But the guy did tell me I came in at an ideal time because things were really slow, otherwise it would have taken 4-7 days (not including the 3 days it took to get the part in.)

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

This is why the MOMENT you have a legitimate issue you bring that sucker in (that's why you bought AAPLcare right?) so after a while you can bring in a binder full of those Genius Bar work authorizations and do a "look see!".