3 to 4 year old imac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CIMA, Jul 19, 2011.

1. CIMA macrumors newbie

Do you have one? How is it performing? Do you run any processor or memory intensive programs or just web/email etc. Just curious to see how they hold up with time.

2. simsaladimbamba

My iMac is from 10/2007 and still works okay, though it could use a faster HDD or even SSD for my needs and more RAM (currently has 4GB, but can go up to 6GB).
    I do some video editing with it and also work with AE on it, but since my 2009 MBP has more RAM, bigger resolution and an SSD, the MBP gets more action, as it just reacts faster.

3. Apple2000 macrumors member

I have a 2008 2.4GHz intel core 2 duo with 4gb of ram. It is great for web browsing and works decently for imovie and stuff. It can handle some games that are not very graphically intensive. I have never had a problem with it and the screen is amazing, probably worth more than the internals on this computer.

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I have an 1.8 GHz "early 2006 iMac", which is the 32 bit Core Duo processor. I had replaced the hard drive a couple years ago with a newer one, which added some speed to the machine.

Physically, it has held up perfectly. I run SETI@Home almost every day, so CPU is at 100% for extended periods of time, but it stays cool and quiet. It is still pretty useable, but in the past six months or so I've noticed a slight lag when scrolling through web pages. Also, iLife '11 runs much more slowly than the previous version. iMovie is kind of a pain to use, and iPhoto takes a while to load in our 100+ GB of photos when launching it. In VMWare, Windows XP is slow but useable, but Windows 7 is frustratingly slow. But as far as just normal web / Word / iTunes / etc. use, it is still chugging along -- pretty good for a five year old entry-level iMac!

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I have the exact same machine (24"). It runs fine, perfectly even. I use it to run Plex w/ 1080p MKV's as well as running large spreadsheets. Plex never stutters and I am no where near considering needing a new computer. An SSD will happen one day but just aren't cheap enough yet.

I'm perfectly happy with my computers performance.

6. bad1550 macrumors regular

I have the 2007 20" 2.4GHz intel core 2 duo with 4gb of ram.

I have noticed recently I get the Rainbow ball while it loads even web pages and Word. Is there anything I can do to speed things up a bit as I am not ready to get a new one.

Thanks

7. philipma1957, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

BEFORE YOU SPEND MONEY IS YOUR HDD TOO FULL

How big is the hdd and how much is on it? does it have fw800 or fw400?
    I found this link is this your mac

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac-core-2-duo-2.4-20-inch-aluminum-specs.html

you could buy this from owc

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEQMH0GBK/

put 2 of these hdds http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136692

in it run as raid0 boot drive hooked up to firewire800 . mount behind the iMac

http://twelvesouth.com/products/backpack/

I sold this unit last early july on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...61101&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT#ht_1099wt_1078

I don't have any to sell but this is very fast.

BEFORE YOU SPEND ANY MONEY YOUR HDD JUST MAY BE TOO FULL!

8. bad1550 macrumors regular

It's 320gb with 97gb free

Bob

9. simsaladimbamba

Look for the RAM usage as mentioned below.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

10. bad1550 macrumors regular

Thanks for all of the helpful info.

I am going to check it all out this weekend when I have more time.

Bob

11. bad1550 macrumors regular

What would be the max size hard drive that can be installed?

Also, where can I buy the necessary suction cups to remove screen?

Thanks,

Bob