3 week old iPhone 5s & Bad 8 pin connector

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtbdudex, Nov 27, 2013.

1. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I've had my 1Phone 5s 3 week's now, and a few days ago it developed quirky charging issues and then showed this screen

>>This is the cable that came with the phone, an Apple cable.
    [​IMG]

Being a just 3 week old phone, I immediately suspected something like latest iOS 7 update, etc.
    Yet, the phone worked at home in my iHome bed clock radio, so suspected some interoperability issue with my iPhone and my car USB to audio headunit.

Since I work for a major car OEM, I spoke to my Audio dept, they suspected my cable immediately, and they were spot on.

Bad 8 pin connector - bad side
    Look closely, 4th pin from top the electrical plating is "peeled back", the dark area
    [​IMG]

good side
    [​IMG]

So,I took this to the Novi Michigan Apple store, they swapped my cable free of charge....

Am I the only one with this issue?
    Does not inspire in me good confidence of the 8 pin conenctor.

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

No, my roommate had a bad connector and she only had her iPhone for 6 months. They swapped hers out for a new one yesterday.

3. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

My wife has had two of the 8 pins go bad on her. It may have been just a bad lot.

4. jonAppleSeed macrumors regular

5. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Hard to see but not a scorch mark, rather the platted connector peeled back, and you are seeing the backside of the connector w/o the copper on it

from wiki
    [​IMG]

6. FrasierCrane macrumors newbie

7. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Wow, your reading comprehension skills are phenomenal.

8. iErick macrumors member

Not to worry. It isn't common. I've only had one lightning cable go bad out of all the ones I have used (all OEM apple)

9. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Erick, simple math; 1/x * 100% = failure rate.
    How many, x, have you used.
    What is your lightning cable failure rate ?

10. iErick macrumors member

I've used a heck of a lot more than one oem lightning cable.

11. hafr macrumors 68030

We have a few cables in different places in the house, and they all survive with no problems until I use it by my bed... That's the only place were the charger lies on the floor, so my guess is that dust or something gets pushed in with the charger and causes a small shortcircuit that fries the contact, because ever since I started wiping the contacts before inserting the charger there are no more damaged contacts...

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Maybe, but it makes no sense to start a thread on a single incident and say it doesn't "inspire a good confidence in the 8 pin connector." If it happens 3 times, okay, but there will always be bad apples within any given products/accessories.

And how many have you used?

13. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

For being only a few weeks old, that cable / connector are filthy. Maybe moisture and / or oils are attacking the plug. Mine is just as old and looks new.

Also, the thread title is misleading. This issue has nothing to do with the 5s. It's a lightning cable issue. The title implies the connector on the phone is bad.

14. mtbdudex, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

3 week old iPhone 5s & Bad 8 pin connector

Sharing my data here, not my intention to make any conclusion of perceived reliability of Apple products - way too soon and not enough data points, however for me:

1. 50% failure rate within 3 weeks of usage, as 1 of 2 Apple cables failed in that time span
    2. One connector used soley in my car for USB charging to/from work
    3. One connector used @ home via hook-up to iMac for charging/photo download to Aperture

Therefore JayLenochiniMac, I'd say my experience is less than desirable.
    Considering I had my iPhone 4 for close to 3 years, used phone/cable same exact conditions and zero issues.

Mr. Buzzcut - that connector was only in my car, it was really clean, possible you judged based on the photo.
    Also, I cannot state if it's a lighting cable issue soley, can you grasp why?

iErick - so what is your failure rate for cables within said time frame?

My purpose of sharing is since the 5s is newly released, there might be some unique trend, maybe not.
    After all, that is one purpose of these forums, to share fact based information with others.

Data is neither good or bad, it's just data.
    It's how we analyze it, what we measure it against that good or bad can be determined.

15. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

You can't honestly extrapolate one bad cable to a 50% failure rate.

And of course I judged from the photo. What other evidence did I have?

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

One person having this problem with one cable is not a statistically significant sample.

17. mpantone macrumors 6502

I had the same problem. My Mac would sync with my Retina iPad mini no problem, but developed a problem with my iPhone 5s. I brought in my Mac and iPhone 5s to the Genius Bar, they swapped out my phone in less than thirty minutes.

Perhaps it's time you exercise Apple's vaunted warranty protection.

Or go ahead and continue to whine in the MacRumors bboard where no one can do anything about it. It's your call.

Good luck.

18. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Are you trying to imply that his cable failure rate can be extrapolated over a larger sample size?

My 2012 13" cMBP had an issue with the display hinge that required the display to be replaced. Does my "100% failure rate" mean anything in the grand scheme of things?

19. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

My 2 month iPad mini got totally destroyed by a connector going bad on the cable. The pins had turned black and somehow it caused the battery to swell and kill the system.

The iPad sits in the living room constantly in dry conditions. Apple were a bit dumbfounded as to how it happened but happily replaced the device and the cable.

A little worrying really but then all of my other lightning compatible devices have been just fine.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How do you know it's not the other way around? It had a defective battery and when it swelled, it fried the connector and hence the cable?

21. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Come to think of it you're right, could well be.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Let's see... Apple sold 33.8 million iPhones, 14.1 million iPads, and an unknown number of iPods and additional cables in Q4 of 2013. Doing a quick search it's safe to say there are hundreds of millions of Lightning cables out there. Using the logic in this thread, based on my failure rate of zero for 10-ish cables I'm estimating the failure rate for all Lightning cables is 0%.

Apple should've had a good idea of what the failure rate would be before the first Lightning cable was built based on the design, materials, manufacturers, etc. If someone at ever Apple thinks, "Why are so many cables failing?" it's an unexpected and very bad thing. Someone will go to the woodshed and we would have heard about it. There are expected failures and unexpected failures, especially with dirty, scuffed, stained / scorched, abused cables.

But enough reason... Where's the class action lawsuit?

23. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I agree, hence I clearly stated "however for me", the 50% does apply, that's a simple fact.
    Never did I state anywhere what the failure rate of all Lighting cables was.
    I have neither the data, nor the inclination to do so, that also goes against the PE code of ethics.
    http://www.nspe.org/Ethics/CodeofEthics/index.html
    Yea - that photo lighting was not sufficient, sorry for that, my Canon T1i was not handy at the time.

totally agreed, yet neither you or I are privy to internal warranty data from Apple....unless you signed a NDA and for whatever reason are not abiding by it.

Nobody knows (outside of Apple) if the new 5s has unique manuf issues, or even a isolated run issue that caused this.
    Tier 2 and 3 suppliers have been known to NOT follow the specs when their supply chain have some issue, just to keep production volumes up.

Hence, if there was a spike of issues timed to launch of new product sharing that info among a community of users is a good purpose of a forum.

I never asked nor suggested any such thing....just sharing data here....again like I stated data is neither good nor bad, it's just fact based data.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

OP, what you're saying/backtracking on is inconsistent with your isolated incident "not inspiring a good confidence in the 8 pin connector."

25. mtbdudex, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Jay, it's Jay your first name? - it's Mike - the OP, I'm not back pedaling on this, wrong spelling and all.
    I also asked "Am I the only one with this issue", as open ended question to others, to see are there other incidents out there, or truly is mine a outlier, on or past the upper/lower limit of the classic six sigma curve
    [​IMG]

My day job, at AutoOE, the competition is so fierce on quality issues, and as the bar gets lowered any quality "noise" (spikes, single incidents at launch time are specifically watched) causes bad JD Powers / other quality measures, we actually are now chasing "the long tail" issues immediately, really.

This is not world peace, I get it.
    Just as a long time Mac user, since well, 1984, I've always been so satisfied with the quality of my products. Vintage 680X0 mac photos - post your computer shots