30" ACD with Macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by empezar, Jul 15, 2007.

1. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

I'm wondering if a 30" ACD will function with a MacBook, now obviously I won't get the full resolution, but will I be able to use it at 1900x1280?

this 13" screen is making my life very difficult.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No you need dual link dvi and the macbook doesn't have it. A non-HD 30" display should work though.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Yes you can use it. No you will not get full resolution, and since LCDs have a set native resolution, you will have poorer picture quality at the lower resolutions.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Wait a second...

The question was whether it would work at a lower resolution. I am not saying it will, but I would wait for someone to post who has actually tried it.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you know right away that you can't get full resolution, why would you want to try in the first place? why not simply use a 20" or 23" acd unless you already have a 30" lying around not hooked up to anything.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hey I'm just relaying what Apple told me when I asked about a 30" ACD on my PowerBook. They said "you need dual link DVI" don't piss all over me because I was relaying information to another individual who asked. This was information from the very people you all gush over daily. :)

In that case, try it. I mean what do you have to lose? I say blow $1500 on a display that won't work as it should. But clearly I'm not the expert.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

Sigh, braindead today, ignore my previous post, I confused mini-DVI ...

You'll never ever get that resolution on a macbook because the macbook's dvi port is single link.

But at that point, you may as well get the 23" instead and save some money and get the same resolution.

8. empezar thread starter macrumors regular

empezar

i'm getting a mac pro soon, with a 30" ACD. i'm figuring waiting for the mac pro to get the 30" would not be the best move, unless they would happen to upgrade the 30" ACD before i purchase MP, but not probable :)

9. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

Just go with something like a Dell 2407. It should suffice if you wouldn't be running full res. on the 30" in the first place.

10. empezar thread starter macrumors regular

empezar

did you read my post? :)

i'm buying a mac pro, i.e. a computer that can handle the full res.

i'm just not buying it right now, i'm buying it in a month or so. and since the shipping is free i figured i can just as well buy the monitor now.

11. mike dunx macrumors regular

12. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

Woops! Didn't see your last post! :)

Yeah, you might as well buy the monitor now. You'll need it as soon as you get the MP.

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

not helpful.

in light of new information regarding the necessity of the 30" ACD, i'd say go for it right now.

14. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If the MB's DVI adapter fits the 30" it should work, but not at full res. Buy it now, you can use it at a lower resolution until you get that nice MP which I'd like to know the specs of.

15. empezar thread starter macrumors regular

empezar

well i am going to wait until mid-august something before buying it in case intel upgrades them. if not i don't think i can wait further, so:

2x 2.66ghz
    x1900xt
    7gb memory (6gb crucial)
    4x750gb hdd (not BTO)
    bluetooth + airport extreme

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

(from wiki)

With a single DVI link, the largest resolution possible at 60 Hz is 2.75 megapixels (including blanking interval). For practical purposes, this allows a maximum screen resolution at 60 Hz of 1854 x 1483 pixels (standard 1.25 ratio) or 2212 x 1243 (widescreen 1.77 ratio)

intersting....

17. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

But the Cinema Displays are due for an upgrade. Maybe you should wait until you have your Mac Pro, just incase a new 30" model comes along.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea with that built in camera thingo in every pixel :p

19. empezar thread starter macrumors regular

empezar

yeah i will wait. i just figured i will not get apple care for the monitor if i purchase it alone.

and getting the upgrade would be nice, i don't want to wait a year for it though :)

20. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Are you planning on getting AppleCare with your Mac Pro, because the display can only be on the same plan if it's bought at the same time, they can check these things you know.

Edit: woops, may have already been mentioned.