30" Cinema Display or iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SPNarwhal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I'm thinking about getting either a 30" Cinema Display or an iMac this christmas.
    Which do you think is a better deal?

I doubt I would get the new iMac, since it's pretty expensive.
    I'd buy a used one off craigslist, maybe the 24".
    But with the Cinema Display, I have a 17" uMBP that I would just use with it.
    Though, I would still have to buy the mount and everything for it.

I'm assuming that both of these would cost similar amounts in the end,
    except with one I am getting a whole 2nd computer, opposed to just a display.
    And with the other, I get a wider display.
    I'd rather the extra computer function, but I want some opinions on what to do.
    I'm not really sure how much a Cinema Display costs, or the mount for it.
    iMacs I know I can get for about 1,200 or so.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Do you have a use/need for a second computer?

3. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

kind of, that way i can be without my laptop if needed.
    there's plenty of times i'd like to leave my laptop at someone's house but i can't be without it, since my PC right now is a 5 year old dell.
    it would help a lot.

4. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

The 30" Cinema Display is a terrible deal. Its 5 years old and had only its price changed in that time.

Its FAR overdue for an update.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Oh yeah, the 30" ACD hasn't changed since it came out 5 years ago lol... How much is it?

6. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_display_30.html

"The Apple 30-Inch Cinema Display (Aluminum), designed to aesthetically complement the previously introduced Power Macintosh G5 and PowerBook G4 models, features a 30-inch (29.7 inch viewable) wide-format (2560x1600) active-matrix LCD display and dual FireWire "400" and dual USB 2.0 ports."

I was wrong about only the price changing in that time though, Apple increased the brightness and contrast ratio in 2006. :rolleyes:

7. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Far overdue for an update of both aesthetics and price. Seriously, I can buy an equivalent 30" panel on ebay for half the price.

8. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

A better deal yet is the Dell 3008WFP 30" display. It's $1399 (incl. 3 year advanced replacement warranty) when it goes on sale (which is frequently), it supports Displayport, so you don't have to spend an extra $99 for the overpriced Apple mDP to Dl-DVI adapter that the ACD 30 requires (and that a lot of people day doesn't work right). The Dell uses a newer S-IPS LCD panel and looks fantastic.

The Apple 30" Cinema Display is $1799, plus another $99 for the mDP->DL-DVI adapter, and it only gets 1 year warranty. A refurbished ACD is $1299, so when you factor in the required crapdapter that's a whole $1 less than a brand new Dell 3008 with 3 year warranty. The mDP->DP cable you'll need for the Dell is less than $5 from Monoprice and works great.

I've had mine for about 2 weeks, and it does have an issue where it needs a warm-up period of 15-30 mins. before the color stabilizes, but Dell is sending me a brand new one to replace it.

As much as I hate Dell for their craptops I had in the past, I think this is a much better way to go than the ACD.

9. silverprince macrumors member

I think it depends on what you're using it for.

I've seen the iMac 27 next to a 30" Cinema Display.
    And the iMac's colours looked so much more brighter.
    But having said that, I know a lot of designer friends who can't stand the glossy screen. They don't bother me......it's a personal preference.

The Cinema display's also don't have a WebCam....if that's important to you.
    And as mentioned in the above posts, it's 5 years old.

Is Apple going to introduce new Cinema Displays next year?

10. zerohp macrumors member

Personally I'll never buy another LCD with a CCFL back light. That's the real advantage of the new iMac, its LED (also part of why the colors look so much better).