30" display quandary

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mojoejojo, Mar 25, 2009.

1. mojoejojo macrumors newbie

I just purchased a 17" mb pro with all of the bells and whistles, and I want to hook it up to a large monitor. My eyes are not what they used to be, and I prefer non glossy monitors. However, I am being thrown into a cycle where people are saying that the 30" is old tech, and there will be a new one at any momment. So my query is... is it a good idea to wait for a new monitor when no one seems to know when the monitor is coming out? As a side, I can wait a couple of months, but it is a little too long if it takes more than six. Thank you and I appreciate all of your input.

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The Apple 30" cinema display is older tech, but it's a fantastic monitor nonetheless. No one knows when a new one is coming, though.

You could just buy a non-Apple monitor. Dell has equally good displays, and they often can be had for less money.

3. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Also the new 30inch displays will probably have a glossy screen like the 24inch one.

4. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I think Apple would have to be completely ridiculous to have 30" display with a glossy-only screen. Pro's don't want glossy screens; consumers do. The problem is, there aren't many consumers willing to pay nearly $2000 for a monitor. A matte option is a must.

5. SecondDealer macrumors regular

Personally I wouldn't consider buying an Apple display because although they are top quality they are also incredibly expensive. Like Demosthenes said, I would look into getting a Dell, HP, or Samsung monitor instead. Newegg.com has 24" 1080p monitor tv's for $360. Get a non apple monitor, save some $$$ and buy a blue ray dvd player or speakers to go along with your new monitor.

6. mojoejojo thread starter macrumors newbie

Your input has been very helpful and thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

7. absit invidia macrumors newbie

I agree. Not to produce the matter display when the market that the product is aimed at demands it would be ludicrous. I simply can't see Apple doing that. I think a LED backlit matte LCD with a slightly different enclosure is much more likely.

8. suburbia macrumors 6502

I'm definitely no hardcore mac addict, but I can confidently predict a 30" glossy display won't be offered when the ACD is updated. Even Apple is wise enough to offers matte-display option for the 17" MacBook Pro.

Having said that, it would be most helpful if those of us looking to get the 30" ACD could have some info on when the update is. It really is about time.

9. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

WARNING!!!!!! I have had a two Apple 30" displays (had to return both) with new unibody Macbook Pros. THEY DON'T WORK!!! THEY ARE NOT COMPATIBLE AT THIS TIME. You get flickering at best or noise and more problems at worst. The problem is perhaps with the miniDisplayPort to dual-link DVI adapter cable ($99), but is STILL UNRESOLVED. Also, third party large (30") monitors fare even worse than the Apple 30". (See Apple's website or this site for comments).

If you want an external display with the new unibody, you are safest getting the 24" (unfortunately, glossy) display, or waiting. :(

10. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I like glossy the best. There great for movie watching and game playing.

11. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I've decided to just bite the bullet and buy a 30" on Saturday. I can't run the risk that Apple are going to 1) stick the prices up 2) make them glossy or 3) stick MiniDisplayPort on them.

12. absit invidia macrumors newbie

They do look nice for consumer machines. However, these are not really aimed at the average consumer. They are aimed at high end professionals that do colour critical work.

13. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Works for me just fine.

14. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

What is your setup?

I'm referring to unibody MBPs (15.4" & 17") using the MiniDisplay Port connecting using the $99 cable to a Apple (or third party) 30" display (2560 x 1600 resolution). I have not known a single case where it has worked flawlessly. At best there was an occasional flicker (the screen would go black for a split second, and then come back).

I don't think Apple should be even selling this option right now. It doesn't work.

15. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

That's exactly my setup.

16. suburbia macrumors 6502

If I were getting the 30" ACD for watching movies and playing games, I would definitely agree with you. However, like the majority of people who prefer matte to glossy, I pay my bills using my Macs, and the matte display is much more ideal and practical for my needs.

17. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I think they should offer both Matte aimed at professionals and glossy aimed at consumers.

18. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Works here! ACD Unibody 17" MacBook Pro and ACD 30 via adaptor. No issues.

19. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

I would heed DeepCobalt's warnings for now.

I have no personal experience with the 30", but I do recall reading a large number of similar reviews on the Apple online store. See if they'll let you try it out in a retail Apple store, and ask them if they would be willing to take it back if you get home and start experiencing flickering issues and stuff.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well now you do.

If that's all you do, why the heck would you buy a 30" Apple display? :confused:

Anyway, a glossy ACD would be suicidal considering the number of complaints you get from laptop owners. The ACD isn't just meant to be a general display. It's a tool first and foremost, and even for those who don't mind a glossy display, I think it's safer to say that offering a glossy-only screen would ruffle very few feathers.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Search the forums, I thought I read the issue is with the MBP, not the display.

22. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Two words..

Sony Bravia

[​IMG]

23. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

If the OP is truly in the market for a 30" monitor, I seriously doubt a TV would be an adequate alternative.

24. rtheb macrumors 6502

I am using a Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w3se which works great as a monitor as well as a HDTV when hooked up to my DirecTV receiver.

Although the max resolution is only 1920 x 1080 it certainly works well if you're looking for a large screen size and don't want to spend big $$$ for a 30" Apple display.

These are now out of production but new ones still show up on e-bay for under $600.00.

These are now sold out but as an example:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230324656219

Alternatively Dell is having a sale at the moment, $206.10 with coupon 1Z829VM32T983V for their new 22" E-IPS Monitor (UltraSharp™ 2209WA 22-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor) which is also a great interim purchase.

25. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The problem with TVs is the large size and low screen resolution, giving a low pixel pitch. My 40" Sony in the living room is 1080p - ie: the same size as a 23" Apple Cinema Display. My new 30" is 2560x1600 - I can fit more on there, and that's the entire point of going big with computers.