$30+ for a case. Will you buy or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Italianblend, Sep 15, 2013.

?

Will you buy one of apple's cases for the 5S or 5C?

1. Yes, I will buy a case from apple for my 5S/5C

46 vote(s)
    38.3%
  2. No, I will purchase a case, but not from Apple

30 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I don't use a case

31 vote(s)
    25.8%
  4. Not buying a 5C/5S

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. None of the above options apply to me

9 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

If you are buying a 5C for the contract price of $100, it makes spending $30 for a rubber sleeve that you could buy on ebay for $1 from china a bit hard to justify.

Before you get angry at my complaining, I'm not exactly. Apple has every right to sell cases for as much as they can get and if I could I would also. But I just don't think I'd ever spend 30 bucks on a case period.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

+1

Not a chance case makers would ever get that much $ from me as there are too many good cases for $15 or less. $20 is my absolute max just on principle alone.

3. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Is it for that idiotic holey case? I'll pass on having my phone have a bunch of circular scratches on the back when I go to sell it next year, lol, and the privilege only costs 30 bucks.

4. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

The average case (although its usually more than a piece of rubber) runs for $30+. I know it is just a piece of rubber, and I buy most of my cases from eBay for half price or less, it's just Apple getting into the case market.
    The 5s case is what I'm interested in for my 5 and I'm most interested because its made by the same company that makes the phone. It's gotta be good... Right? I really hope so. :)

5. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

i'll probably go with no case as i have since the iphone 3g (except for the iphone 4 becuase it came with it for free lol)

most cases take away from the beauty of the phone.... if not they allow for little dust pieces to go inbetween the case and the phone to scratch it even more :(

6. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Just be careful here; if you want to support apple by buying their case then fine. But if you'll wait a bit there will be better options for that price. Or cheaper ones that are just as good.

I don't have one but I've used a few of the smart covers for iPads and I gotta say it's very flimsy and a waste of money in my opinion.

7. darster Suspended

Nothing like paying $30 for a 10 cent piece of leather. Like those old shamwow products. Cost 50 cents to produce 3 and they sold them for $20.

[​IMG]

8. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

I bought a Grove custom hand carved bamboo case for $129 for my iPhone 5. I think I'll just settle for an apple leather case for $39 this time around. ;)

If you plan on getting a case, don't cheap out on a $700+ phone.

9. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

That's a great point too. And aren't all cases sold by most of the case companies only cents to make and the sell for $15 and up? That's just how manufacturing works I thought?

10. user-name-here macrumors 65816

You're probably a salesman dream customer that buys $700 "rust proofing" for your car and every cross-selling extended warranty available ;)
    Poor squirrel :(

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If what Apple sells you looks and feels exactly what u can get at eBay then obviously not.

12. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'll use the cases I already have for the 5 when I get my 5S.

13. safdar macrumors newbie

safdar

14. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I only buy Apple cases. So yeah, I'll 100% buy whatever they offer to best compliment my deserves because I appreciate their taste and approach to simplicity in design.

15. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Nah man. Since I've decided that I feel more comfortable with my iPhone in a case, I might as well get a good one since my case is essentially my iPhone. It doesn't matter how nice the iPhone is your case is the outer layer that you're interacting with. Thus, it should be a case that you like and don't mind holding all the time. :rolleyes:

Everything from the Candyshells to leather cases generally range in the $29 to $39 range. Even the otterbox is $30 dollars.

The only "cheap" case that I liked was the Elago Slim fit ones. For example.
    http://www.amazon.com/elago-Outfit-...?ie=UTF8&qid=1379337134&sr=8-1&keywords=elago

16. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Keep in mind that some cases in the $30+ range are really hard shell and really designed to protect the device from drops. I think you'll get more for your money if you don't go with apple. Just my opinion.

17. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I like a nude phone, but with some protection from scratches. I buy a combo of Lucky Lab skins and Power Support crystal covers for front and back. It's actually more expensive for me to do this than get one of Apple's cases.

I had the Apple bumper for the original iPhone 4, and it scratched the hell out of the band. Never again.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The cases are microfiber lined, so whether or not you think its worth the price, it is not just a piece of plastic or leather.

19. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Spigen makes great cases that are usually between $15-$20. I have a Slim Armor for the 5 that I'll try on my 5S.

I'm also going to buy a leather 5S case.....just because. Can't decide between the black or red....I'm getting the silver iPhone 5S. My iPad mini has a red smart cover.

20. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I just find with most cases, no matter how they are made, allow junk to get into them, and that junk - not the case - is what scratches the phone.

Maybe it's just me, but even speck cases used to do this.

I owned an original microsoft zune years ago. All I had for it was a micro fiber pouch to keep it in, no screen protectors, nothing. I kept that thing for year and it never got a scratch on it.

My first ipod, I had a speck case on it, and it was scratched to hell.

Screen protectors FTW.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I agree.

I'm using a simple Elago Outfit case on my 5, it was just replaced under warranty so I left the back plastic protector on the back of the phone, with some cut away for the camera. That will stop any scratching that might occur.

You could easily just leave Apple's black plastic on the 5C and then cover it with the case. Best of all you don't have to pay for some back protector in addition to the case.

22. Cutecynic macrumors member

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If the case looked good I would do it, but I feel it looks terrible.

First, it cuts off the word "iPhone" at the bottom. Not sure who ok'd that design. Next, it makes an already juvenile looking (IMO) plastic case look even more like a tyco or playskool product.

I would look into the company switch easy. They have put out some nice stuff that I haven't really seen duplicated in quality and price (I actually bought a knockoff of their capsule rebel for my 4/4s, and was initially fine, but eventually yellowed and simply wasn't as nice). Great company, and they stand behind their product. I wouldn't doubt they will make something like what Apple has, but with a nice execution for the 5C.

24. Mr.C macrumors 601

None of the choices apply to me as I'm going to use my iPhone 5 case with my iPhone 5S.

25. Crikey macrumors 6502

If I wanted the case, $30 ain't no big deal. I use my phone multiple times a day, every day, and depend on it. So what if there's a mark-up?

I have an iPhone 5 and don't use a case with it. I think Apple's colorful cases for the 5c are fun and lots of people will love them. I would probably not get a case if I were getting a 5c, but I probably won't upgrade my phone until the 6S comes out.