300GB Hard drive in a Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FleurDuMal, Aug 17, 2007.

1. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

HOLY CRAP THAT'S HUGE :eek:!
    Btw, its a SATA 2.5'' hd, so it'd probably fit in the mb. Actually it wouldn't be that slow due to its huge capacity/density.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

3. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Thats what I was thinking.

:(

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

I've already checked this out and this model caught my eye - sadly, it won't fit.

5. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

6. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

You can get 250GB actually, which is what I'm thinking of getting tomorrow morning.

7. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I got one of the 250GB drives for my MBP and it is fantastic. I don't ever worry about how much space I have left anymore.

8. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Yeah...just worried about the speed, thats all. Some say its dog slow, some say they don't notice the difference. Though the idea of having my all my movies with me all the time is quite cool.

9. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I didn't know you could get a 250gb. That is pretty cool. I have the 160gb in my MB, and it ok. I would like to have some more space but what am I to do... I don't want to swap HDs because of warranty issues, maybe later. I want to buy a MBP when they get updated to something I want, but until then I'm waiting. When I buy my MBP I'm for sure going to get the biggest HD upgrade.

The Stig

10. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Swapping HD's in your Macbook shouldn't break your warranty as they're 'user replacable'. However, in a MBP it would.

So when it comes to laptops, consumers are deemed capable of swapping HDs, but pros aren't. But with desktops its vice-versa. A wonderful Apple anomaly.

11. Jaunty macrumors regular

I was looking in to this a while ago - can I ask what options you are looking at, and from where?

Cheers

12. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well, I was gonna go to Aria PC which is selling it at the normal price, but I can just pick it up in Manchester (where I'm living this summer), so I won't have to pay for delivery.

Apart from that, I might get a smaller, cheaper drive. Whatever I get, 60GB just doesn't cut it anymore.

13. Makosuke macrumors 603

Hey, if you want to max out speeds, Hitachi's 200GB 7200RPM notebook drive is supposed to be pretty much "desktop-grade" speed-wise. Pricey, of course, but 200GB isn't exactly small.

Is Fujitsu actually shipping those 300GB drives now? They were supposed to be available a while ago, but they only just started selling the 250GB one, so I was sort of under the impression (mistaken?) that they'd been significantly delayed.

'course, 12.5mm (I think they're 3-platter, based on the promo images) is pretty dang fat for a laptop drive these days.

14. ruftytufty macrumors member

I just got the 250GB Hitachi from newegg ($200) and installed it - no problems, and it's definitely faster than my old drive (a 120gb fujitsu).