Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonislune

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
Leopard Like Desktop Now!

You can definitely make your Mac OS X desktop more like Leopard with Tiger. Our findings, so far, have been compiled below. Many of the basic elements are free! Your comments/suggestions/your own work = HIGHLY REQUESTED!

Many thanks to the many members who have contributed so far to this thread.

The Leopard Desktop mods have been broken down into 4 categories. You can download our findings and a semi-walk thru by jumping to this post.

----------- OLDER FIRST POST BELOW ------------
I thought this deserved its own thread. The other "NOW" thread had too many opinions on "how NOT to do it". I'll post some pics and YouTube of my work late tonight. Who knows, but I'm pretty sure you can get the Leopard Like desktop now. Here's my input. Anyone want to add or change?

The reflection on the Leopard dock won't be possible, see the solution for "stacks" below, and with some 3d icons and skinned dock, it will look pretty Leopard-like. The link for the grass desktop pic is below. Then add the following apps to OSX and you've got a Leo-like Desktop in Tiger :
MenuShade - , Overflow, Camouflage, Path Finder 4.7, YouControl Desktops (its got the closest thing to Spaces) and a Leo-like Wallpaper (grass- see below), and you've got a Leo-like desktop in Tiger.

Update : Working on the Dock
Here's my pic so far
542892960_43d4e77b62.jpg

DinnyHoon

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Thanks, I couldn't have thought of that myself :rolleyes:

Anywho, has anyone taken upon the task of creating a Leopard-like Dock background for us all? That, plus a grass wallpaper, could look very close to Leopard itself (minus the menu bar, of course).

moonislune

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
Thanks, I couldn't have thought of that myself :rolleyes:

Anywho, has anyone taken upon the task of creating a Leopard-like Dock background for us all? That, plus a grass wallpaper, could look very close to Leopard itself (minus the menu bar, of course).

No offense Dinny, but the other thread was a bit too pessimistic. I hope we can work together on this. :)

DinnyHoon

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I found a shapeshifter theme on interfaceLIFT that looks similar to Leopard, right down to the UNO-style look. It was submitted 3 days before the Leopard unveiling yesterday, which make me think that this person is a wizard.

Still on the hunt for the wallpaper though...

MagicUK: Because we're just too impatient :p

moonislune

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
I found a shapeshifter theme on interfaceLIFT that looks similar to Leopard, right down to the UNO-style look. It was submitted 3 days before the Leopard unveiling yesterday, which make me think that this person is a wizard.

Still on the hunt for the wallpaper though...

MagicUK: Because we're just too impatient :p

LOL! BTW, Dinny, that Vitae theme is nice. Awesome find.

Jan 30, 2006
Why not? I've got my Nokia 6300 pimped to act like an iPhone.

You are my hero!:p

Tomorrow I would receive this phone, and this theme would make it the best phone out there. I love Nokias.

But how do you make the icons in the menu look like the ones in the iPhone?

moonislune

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
Using MenuShade, I was able to get the Menubar "skinned" to a similar color by keeping both the Shaded and Unshaded brightness levels the same. I picked the color straight from the Leopard video on the Apple website. It's not truly transparent, but with the right background picture (Where's the Grass?!) it should look okay.

I'm sorry for the small pic, I'm new to Flickr and it resized it!

542963291_7bbb16d3b9.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1072/542963291_7bbb16d3b9.jpg?v=0

moonislune

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005

Tomorrow I would receive this phone, and this theme would make it the best phone out there. I love Nokias.

Different topic. Send me a message through MacRumors.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London

Click on the original link I posted.

moonislune

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
A picture of my desktop...(in progress)

Turns out that menushade really does make the dock transparent. Here's a picture of my desktop

542892960_43d4e77b62.jpg

...now onto work on the dock!

moonislune

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
Great progress moonislune. I just grabbed the same wallpaper image from a Flickr post, and I'm downloading MenuShade as I speak.

Thanks Dinny. I just figured out the "3d Dock" too. It's not really 3d, but so far is looking close! After I finish editing, I'll post a pic with a quick how to.

DinnyHoon

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
Liverpool, UK
The one downside of MenuShade is that it MUST run in the dock in order to work correctly (Dockless makes it act weird), and the icon is horrible. Luckily, this guy shared my view and has made a new aqua-style icon for the app. Replace it using the usual Get Info copy-paste way.

My current desktop:

picture1ml8.png

I found the PNGs to the rounded corners of the menu bar in MenuShade, so if you replace those with solid white (they're only about 12 square pixels each), you can probably get even closer to the Leopard look.

moonislune

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
The one downside of MenuShade is that it MUST run in the dock in order to work correctly (Dockless makes it act weird), and the icon is horrible. Luckily, this guy shared my view and has made a new aqua-style icon for the app. Replace it using the usual Get Info copy-paste way.

My current desktop:

picture1ml8.png

I found the PNGs to the rounded corners of the menu bar in MenuShade, so if you replace those with solid white (they're only about 12 square pixels each), you can probably get even closer to the Leopard look.

Excellent! There is a way to hide select apps in the dock. I'll find it and post it when I finish both options Im working on for the dock. Looks great so far!

soho

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2006
Vienna, Austria
I cant believe that someone who likes OS X (Tiger) because of its design wants to trade that for a cheap version of the Vista bar. Additionally, the 3D dock which tries too hard to continue the design of Time Machine (which does its job quite well, bringing backups/versioning to the average joe) looks cheap too and only works at the bottom.

Yeah, I'm not happy with the keynote ;)

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005

I have, well kind of. My desktop has a Leopard dock theme to it.
Preview Here:
View attachment 76341

How did I do it?
Using ClearDock, I made the dock transparent, and created the 'Leopard' dock in Photoshop. Then I just put the Leopard dock on my current desktop picture, saved it, and done!

Get A Leopard Dock Of Your Own. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.