32 GB RAM in a 11,3 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Pereroca, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Pereroca macrumors newbie

Hi everybody!

I have an iMac with these specifications:

- iMac11,3
    - Intel Core i5
    - 3,6 GHz
    - 8 GB RAM

And these doubts ;)

1) I assume that upgrading to 32GB will significantly improve my workflow working with video and image (mainly photoshop and after effects). Am I right?
    2) Which RAM memory should I buy to upgrade my imac to 32 GB? Would this one be ok?
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/1333DDR3S32S/
    3) Is there any problem in doing that despite that in the appstore the iMac is supposed to accept only 16 GB?

Thank you very very much in advance for your help!

2. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I currently have 32GB of Corsair RAM and had good luck with it. I purchased its when it was about the same price as OWC currently list their kit, but that was before the holidays. The 16GB kits are around $140 now, so $380 for 32GB.

Yes, it will help with large Photoshop work flows or virtualization. I currently use it with the 11,3 iMac for VMware Fusion and I'm amazed with the results. the 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel i7 Clarksdale can really stretch its legs with this much memory.

See the macperformanceguide.com for test results of various memory configurations have on Photoshop. Hint: The iMac gets much closer to a Mac Pro.

3. freespeed macrumors member

Wow, I didn't realize the newer iMacs could support 32GB of RAM. I have the iMac 7,1 and thought I struck the lotto when I found out it could support 6GB's of RAM.

4. Pereroca thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thank you all very much! I am buying this memory and I tell you!!

5. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

6. Pereroca thread starter macrumors newbie

Problems!

Today I have received the 4 8GB RAM cards purchased from OWC.
    The problem is that they don't work all together!

This is what happens:
    - the 4 8 GB cards don't work when placed together
    - if I put 2 of them with 2 of my old 2 GB cards it works (that's 20 GB RAM)
    - but it only works if I plug the new ones in the two top slots and the older in the two bottom slots. If I plug them in the lower slots and plug the old ones in the top it doesn't work... Strange, mh?

- so the conclusion would be that the 8 GB RAM cards don't work when plugged in the top slots. But they work when plugged in the two lower ones. Which means that I can not plug them all together (as two of them would have to be in the top slots, which is something that does not work)

I think it makes no sense at all, and I can't find a convincing explanation for that...
    Any suggestion? :

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

take 1 8gb stick plug it in any slot and run this test.

http://kelleycomputing.net:16080/rember/

do 1 pass and pick all ram. if that stick passes use in in each slot 1 at a time until you know if it works in every slot. if that stick works in every slot. put it aside as all good. move on to the next stick.

so 4 sticks 4 slots means 16 tests. of only 8gb. about a day to do this.

after you do this let us know the results.

there are a few things that can be wrong. you may have a mix of bad slots and bad sticks or you may be capped on one set of slots at 2gb each. testing to find out what is wrong will take time.

8. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Can you better describe does not work? Crashing, grey screen, not detecting, chimes?

The 11,3 iMacs have tons of issues with all slots filled. The most common were random shutdowns with 16GB of anything but Samsung memory. Recent firmware updates may have fixed the problems, but they are fickle unlike the 2011 Mac minis which seem to take any laptop PC memory.

9. Pereroca thread starter macrumors newbie

yes

shortcut3d, the screen remains grey, with the white apple on it...

By the way, philipma1957, thanks for your advice.
    For the moment I am returning the cards back to be replaced for a new ones... The guys in the OWC technical chat have told me that replace the memories for a new ones should solve the problem... (do you think so? :confused:)

And thanks to everybody for your interest.
    I tell you as soon as I get the new ones..!!