32 vs 16, my latest dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsdc2005, Jun 24, 2009.

1. jsdc2005 macrumors member

This is a stupid question, but please bear with me.

I have a 16 GB 3G and am definitely going to go for an upgrade to 3GS. After almost a year, my 3G is only about 50% full, and I haven't ever really gone beyond that. I don't use it to watch movies (too small), don't keep many photos on it, and have a fairly small number of apps (3-4 pages). Audio content is songs, books, and podcasts. I don't store books and podcasts on the phone after I'm done listening. I use it for work and home email and store as much as the phone will permit (1 month, I think).

I guess it's a safe assumption that my use patterns won't change much. The only possible exception to that is the video recording function. Again, I may not use it much. But how much space does the video recording function use up? I assume it's fairly compressed and I won't be shooting feature-length movies, so 7 GB is plenty of room to play with, but this is the only variable I can think of that might warrant getting the 32.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts.

-JS

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

3. muckymucky macrumors member

muckymucky

4. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I have the same dilemma. I'd need to make a decision by this Friday.

5. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

3GS has a video camera.

Video cameras eat GB's

You will only regret not getting a 32GB sooner or later.

And if you are saying you will not use the video camera, then ask yourself why bother upgrading?

It is a 'no-brainer' :D

6. fireplace macrumors member

depends if you're going to keep all the vids on the phone. if you're going to send them to a imac( or other desktop, they do exist) and back them up then you can just delete them.
    i had shedloads of video on my old SE phone, the resolution isn't great but they took up no room (had a 512mb card!). that was a 5mp, the iphone is less - but a quick vid i took today looked good - have yet to transfer it to my imac.

if, like some, round here you feel the need to pack your entire life into a mobile device then get the 32, if not then get the 16.

dunno about resale value though, i guess if you're going to sell early then bigger is better (?).

7. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

8. b.c. macrumors 6502

video capture data is around 450kBytes/sec, so perhaps ~1GByte for 40min or so.

9. sinX80 macrumors newbie

I suppose the question is then are you ever going to take 8GB's worth of video in between syncing. From looking at my videos a 20 sec video is about 8 MB, so that would be about 1024 20 sec videos or 512 40 sec videos .... and so on.

10. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

11. venasque macrumors member

Based on YOUR personal usage over for last year, I think you're okay with the 16GB one. If you were almost full I would say bump it up, but if you're still only around 8GB after all this time then it's likely not worth it.

Others are saying if you can spend the extra $100 to do it, then do so. However just because you CAN spend an extra $100 doesn't mean you HAVE to. That extra money could be spent on some iphone accessories, or even something completely different you may want.

12. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

Point taken.

However what if you are on holiday or cannot get to sync your phone.

Or what about new bigger and better app's, tom tom go, the proposed gaming platform potential given the faster chip-sets.

If you are breaking the bank to buy an iPhone surely an extra $100 or £65 on top of what is already a big purchase is a good investment?

You know it makes sense.........

13. jajohns8 macrumors regular

BEFORE I got my iphone, I was not thinking I would ever use much in terms of space. Now, I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade to a 32GB 3GS. Whether it's music or movies for myself or my son, I can always use more space. Kind of cool to always be able to bring along my music collection and favorite movies for the fam. Probably takes a while to sync the 32GB, but worth it.

14. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Go for the 32, it's better to have more space than not enough. I took a 3 minute video last night and it came in at 77MB. If you plan on taking alot of video you will be glad you got the 32.

15. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Just do the math. $100 over the life of your 2 year contract comes out to less than $5 per month. If you are already paying $70+ a month for AT&T, you can afford it. If not, you shouldn't get the iphone. There are cheaper options.

16. 55test55 macrumors 6502

i got the 16gb and im happy with it. while bigger is better, ive taken videos and pictures, have my music on it and still have like 12.8 gb left. it sounds like to me you dont need the extra space, but if you are worried get it.

17. fr0 macrumors member

I can't help but think about the upcoming GPS software, i.e. TomTom. Stuff like that could eat up many GBs in theory. Might want to spring for the extra $100 if you can spare it. I know I just did :D

18. bigchief macrumors 6502a

AT&T made up my mind for me last Friday when they said "all we have left are 32GBs".

19. tivoboy macrumors 68030

32gb

I would say, get the 32gb.

IF you are going to do a third party GPS product, THAT will eat up GB
    IF you are going to do videos, local or downloaded or ripped, THAT will eat up GB

I think many apps are going to get BIGGER with content added, and additional features and information, THAT will eat up GB

Someone might enable the 3Gs to actually use the HD recording capability of the phone and camera and that will eat TB.

20. jsdc2005 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. Still not sure what I'll do. Girlfriend is waiting to get my 3G when I upgrade and asked "have you decided yet?" I said "no." She said "just get the damn 32GB already."

I think I'll get the 16.

:p

21. Razeus macrumors 601

All I can say is:

2 years in a contract is a LONG time only have 16GB.

22. jsdc2005 thread starter macrumors member

This is a good point in favor of 32, but I guess I should say that another consideration is that in a year Apple will come out with the next generation iPhone, and perhaps AT&T will offer the same early upgrade. So I'm not thinking it's likely I'll have this phone for 2 years. Am I wrong?

23. Razeus macrumors 601

Well you'll have to hedge your risks. I hedge my risk that Apple doesn't release a higher capacity phone next year, by getting the highest capacity phone this year. You also have to take into account the risk that AT&T might not do the same thing next year for early upgrades. Everything in life involves risk and therefore you must hedge against it.

24. Switz213 macrumors 6502

All these people saying to get a 32 GB are crazy. You HAVE 7 GB available. That should be more than enough unless you want to record your life. Sure, if the money is a problem and you WANT the 32, go for it, but if you don't need it, don't waste your money.

25. Ironworker808 macrumors regular

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.