320gb heaven...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deadpixels, Feb 29, 2008.

1. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

is where my MBPro is since yesterday :) everything went well except a little fear when removing the upper case, it was stuck and suddenly snapped off, i thought i broke the ribbon connected to the mother board :eek: but all went fine ;) here's a pic of the guilty one in its new home :D

Attached Files:

2. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Hey deadpixels, the breathing hole on the hard drive is directly where you stuck the ribbon cable with the two white connectors, by covering it up you may be preventing air from entering and exiting the hard drive which could reduce its lifespan and cause the head to crash.

I would recommend you re-position that cable before permanent damage is done to your hard drive!

3. lekun macrumors regular

did you use any adhesive to lay that ribbon cable back down, or was it tacky enough to just re-stick. Have you noticed more noise, vibration or a decrease in battery life?

I've done this to mine a couple of times, and everything goes well (and, yes, I too thought I had snapped my upper case) but I never get that cable that lays over the hard drive and the bluetooth adaptor to get back in place just like the factory.

My WD 320 Passport and new MBP should be arriving early next week - I am so stoked. That is a huge, and pretty fast hard drive.

4. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I have replaced my HD twice, first when I got my MBP I went from a 100G 5400 RPM drive to a 100G 7200 RPM drive, then from the 7200 RPM drive to the 320G 5400 RPM drive.

The adhesive is still tacky and hold things down just fine.

I can't comment on the battery usage issue, as I usually use my machine plugged in most of the time, but as far as heat, noise or vibration, no, I have not noticed a difference.

But I HAVE noticed a difference in available space! Woo-hoo! And even with my full iTunes library, FCS and other stuff I'm still less than half capacity.

MacDann

5. Sdao macrumors 6502

Hey Lurker,

I just installed my new HD (same as the OP) yesterday, I love it, but I'm afraid that I actually may have positioned the cable over the breathing hole, just like you were saying.

Where exactly is this breathing spot for the HD? Can you copy the OP's image and re-post it with a circle around the spot I should avoid covering? I'm going to open my MBP up again and ensure that I positioned everything properly. I didn't know that I would be blocking any airway before replacing my HD :(

6. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

Where would you suggest repositioning the cable? It seem to be difficult to kep the breathing hole open without twisting the cable too much to the side.

7. Sdao macrumors 6502

Agreed, that's what I'm thinking. I dont want to ruin my ribbon by twisting it. I also dont want to block the air passageway.

8. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

that hole is covered by apple from the factory as well. Im sure apple would have positioned the cable elsewhere if it was an issue.

9. deadpixels thread starter macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

Actually the hole on the original Fujitsu drive is not covered as it is on the other side (see my pic). it seems DaLurker might be right as it looks like on my other pic that there is maybe two holes on the WD drive and they are right under the ribbon cable! but it seem there i no way to move the ribbon cable any other place without twisting it quite a lot (see my other pic). some have installed the same drive a while ago and i did not hear any problems due to that yet so i'm hoping it'll be fine. if someone come up and confirm it's risky i will open again and try to do something about it.

Attached Files:

10. deadpixels thread starter macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

the ribbon cable sticks by itself, no problem. no, i didn't notice any more vidration or noise at all, just more space :D difficult to say about battery life as i use it mostly plugged, sorry.

11. technogeek macrumors member

I found this explanation for the holes:
    http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1212435,00.html

Parts of the drive are not pressure sealed, so these holes are basically eustachian tubes for the drive. So, as long as the hole is not sealed over, the air pressure can equilibrate. All you would need is the tiniest 1mm thick shim under the cable to create a gap that would maintain the very low equilibration air flow under altitude changes.

12. deadpixels thread starter macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

thanks, i found it using google too, since the glue was kinda weak where the ribbon cable passes over the holes, i suppose my hard drive will be fine, i don't feel like opening again just to check.

13. dopeytree macrumors regular

500gb?

I'm thinking about doing the 500GB upgrade a few people have and said it's amazing, what does everyone think?

14. deadpixels thread starter macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

oh? i thought the 500 gb in 9.5mm were not available yet?

15. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm not a fan of opening it up to check the computer. Actually I bent the cable a bit to avoid the breathing hole and it worked out well for me. I would still recommend you reposition the cable however it shouldn't be a problem since the ribbon on top should allow for some air flow, but thought I'd point it out to you guys anyways.

To answer a previous posters question re: Apple factory, like deadpixels said the Fujitsu drive's breathing whole is on the other side of the hard drive.

16. deadpixels thread starter macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i'm always right :D:D:D

17. dopeytree macrumors regular

Long E-bay link

That's what I'm looking at, it's not a 9.5 but a 12.5 so you have to follow these steps to make it fit but I'm still a tad unsure yet?

18. AppleTree macrumors member

I would just wait until the new samsung spinpoint M6 500GB 2.5 9.5mm drive comes out...it should be out this month sometime, according to some reports. That is what i am waiting for...I think it is a little too much trouble and to risky to go with a 12.5mm drive for the macbook pro.

19. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

Just finished the HD transplant and RAM upgrade... Took about 45 minutes, went slowly but I was surprised how straightforward it was. The screws weren't very tight and came off easily, and the top cover just needed to be rocked twice before coming off.
    I think the operation was successful, I've partitioned the drive and am installing the OSX now.

I repositioned the ribbon connector just off the breathing hole, keeping half of it covered. No problems with twisting whatsoever, it repositioned nicely.

[​IMG]

20. calvy macrumors 65816

I just wanted to say that I put the same drive in my Santa Rosa MBP last week and I do notice a very slight vibration. It doesn't bother me too badly, but I can feel if if I plant my hand just right above the drive.

Should I return it to newegg?

21. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

Do you feel the vibration all the time, or only during disk access?
    MY drive is pretty silent and vibration-less, so there maybe something wrong with yours? Or maybe the mounting was wrong somehow?

22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

That's a breathing hole?? I never knew the hd's had breathing holes... maybe I need to opened up my mbp and have a look again lol.

23. deadpixels thread starter macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

24. qksilver macrumors newbie

Installed mine yesterday. Works great, but after a few hours it definitely gets hotter than the oem 120gb fujistu drive. My left palm is not a huge fan right now!

25. jjahshik32 macrumors 603