Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newbie MacUser

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2012
Ok, Apple is now officially acknowledging that it's a greedy money hungry company. I'm sorry but if you pay 329 for a 16GB mini you've either got more money than common sense or are a complete moron. That's friggin rediculous. WOW!:mad:

Ok here is my personal take on the situation. All of those people complaining about the iPad Mini's specs need to get a reality check. Look, most of you have NO CLUE about the technical aspects and ability of the core components. You just go on whatever numbers apple puts up on display and tells you the name of the component. The iPad mini in reality is a VERY VERY CAPABLE DEVICE, especially with the number of App's available in the app store (second to none). The fact that something that can fit in the palm of your hand and can run essentially all 275K apps in the app store that are available is really amazing. And seriously WHAT is the point in increasing the pixel resolution on a 7.9" device? The human eye can't even distinguish the difference. They have increased the number of pixels in an iPad 2 into 7" iPad Mini. Furthermore, why are people complaining oh its not up to the resolution of a Google Nexus 7 or a Kindle Fire HD? Does it really really matter? This is meant to be a carry EVERYWHERE device with great battery life. Things that you take EVERYWHERE don't need to have the best screen or best processor available.

If you put into perspective how often you carry around your full sized iPad vs. iPhone vs. (how often you will carry your) iPad Mini you will notice that the iPad Mini comes much closer to your cellphone in terms of useability. Do you realize how clunky an iPad is? You can't really put it in average sized coat/jacket pockets it needs it's own specific case/bag (even more clunky). This thing is overpriced I do agree, but what makes it amazing is its compatibility with the Apple Ecosystem.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Apple has very shrewdly avoided getting into a price war with its competition. But they have for the most part been able to differentiate their product enough to justify the price premium.

With the iPad Mini, they are essentially playing catch-up to the seven inch tablet market. I just don't see how they justify the premium in this instance.

----------

They didn't need to. They just needed to be able to justify the premium.

In my opinion, they fell short in this instance.

these things will sell like hot cakes. what kind of justification do you need?

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
$299 would have made perfect sense.

$299 mini
$399 iPad 3
$499 iPad 4

But that only a $30 difference. Are you saying you won't but the iPad mini because it's $30 more than your anticipation?

Also iPT5 is already priced at $299, so the mini should be more expensive than that!

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I doubt it is faster. I have a Nexus 7 and it was a match for my iPad 3 never mind an iPad 2.

The iPad 2 is faster than the iPad 3. The extra horsepower from the A5X was simply to push the extra pixels of the retina display.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6054/google-nexus-7-mini-review

The iPad mini has the same processor as the iPad 2. The N7 is slightly faster in browsing, but the iPad 2 is faster in all graphics benchmarks.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Nexus has built in GPS. The WiFi version of the iPad does not.

I don't see how Apple justifies the $130 premium over the Google Nexus 7. That premium jumps to $260 if you want/need GPS. It goes to $310 if you want 32GB and GPS.

Who the hell is using a tablet as their GPS? And, for the best GPS experience, you need cellular data, which the N7 doesn't have.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
This thing is overpriced I do agree, but what makes it [the iPad Mini] amazing is its compatibility with the Apple Ecosystem.

True. But what if you are not invested in the iCosystem?

If you just looking for something to consume content, what's the justification?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
people will now see a $70 discount in the price of an entry level iPad. They will be buying these bad boys up. Did you really think apple was going to sell a $199 iPad? get real!

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Who the hell is using a tablet as their GPS? And, for the best GPS experience, you need cellular data, which the N7 doesn't have.

Garmin and TomTom GPS's seem to work fine without cellular data.

The maps application is one of the most uses apps on the iPhone. Why do you think there has been such a flap over it?

If people are using the maps application on the iPhone to navigate around, why wouldn't they want to use an iPad Mini to do the same thing?

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
wonder if the price whiners are same posters predicting the end of the 9.7" ipad. By pricing $129 over the google tablet,Apple may be testing the limits of its brand dominance. Or not. If the mini is a hit at $329, it would say to me --and apple--that the 9.7" is underpriced. So the mini pricing may make more sense in the context of the next ipad price

Gatecrasher1875

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
How do you know it's not top quality? Has one fallen apart on you? If you mean they sell cutting edge technology; that isn't true either. They build and sell (since the very first Apple 1) products that are the best uses of current technology and sell it at maximum amount of profit. They always have.

Yes there are some times where they innovate; introducing Thunderbolt (which they didn't create), Firewire (which essentially was a flop and has been nearly abandoned). What they do, do is have cutting edge design and I think the iPad Mini is well designed aesthetically.

Here is why it's 329. If it's 299 they cannibalize their iPad 2 and iPad 3. Look at their history. They've always had an incremental price upgrade for the "next device up".

"399 isn't that big a jump from 329... why don't I just get the iPad 2? Hmm... come to think of it for 100 bucks more I can get a retina display and better graphics and speed... I should just go with the NEW iPad!" - See how that works?

I'm just doing what a lot of people out there are going to do and that is sit the details of the Nexus 7 and the iPad mini side and make an informed decision on that info. iOS isn't a selling point to me as i enjoy Android just as much, and looking at the 2 tablets in question the Nexus 7 wins. the iPad may be better built but that doesnt mean the Nexus is going to fall to bits. I wouldn't even blink at the £269/$329 price if i felt the device justified it.

scat999999

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2003
I agree. Apple should price their products like this:

iMac 27" - $499
iPad 4th Gen - $199
iPad Mini - $99
iPod Touch - $49
iPhone 5 - $0 with no contract.

Lucy Van Pelt said it best..."I think everything should be 5 cents."

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
The big premium is for two reasons.

#1 - Google sells the Nexus 7 at a loss, or at the very least, with no profit. They simply are trying to gain market share. Apple has no need to do this. I would be the profit margin on this isn't that huge, though.

#2 - The Android Market (sorry...Play Store) has crap for tablet apps. I should know, I've been running an ICS tablet since last December. I don't currently own an iPad, and while I like ICS overall as an OS, the app ecosystem, especially for tablet optimized apps, is not anywhere close to what Apple has. There are a handful of tablet optimized apps, most of which have horrible real world usability, and, well, then you're stuck with big scaled up phone apps. I have grown increasingly jaded with my existing tablet and want a real app experience.

The scaled up phone apps work OK on the N7, but you really don't gain anything over your smartphone in usability aside from screen size for media.

The iPad mini isn't the end-all be-all device, but I think it's worth the premium for the outstanding apps that are available, plus the great responsiveness and usability that comes with it. I'm asking for one for Christmas.

Newbie MacUser

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2012
True. But what if you are not invested in the iCosystem?

If you just looking for something to consume content, what's the justification?

Well then it's just going to be based on what your family/friends say. Keep in mind ALL Apple needs to do is sell you ONE device.....it's almost like an addiction. Once they get you "in the door" with one device they don't need a sales pitch to sell you your next device. Right now (will have to wait on Windows 8) there is no better ecosystem of devices that function so seamlessly or well together. You also (most of the time) don't have to buy the same app on different sized devices (ie. iphone/ipad - but maybe with mac app store ones you do). I live in a tourist centric city and I was at Best Buy the other day and I was inquiring about the Zagg Invisible Shield EXTREME Screen Protector (supposedly shatter resistant) and the employee told me he had customers come in offering $1300 for an iPhone 5. That is absolutely insane, but it once again reinforces my point that once you use one device, you want the other complimentary ones.

And I know for a fact that most Apple faithful or new adopters still use Microsoft Office for Word/Excel/Powerpoint and also Adobe Reader because those are the consumer mainstream essentials weather you are a kid in middle school, high school, college student, office worker. Imagine once Microsoft releases App's for those in the upcoming version of Microsoft Office. How powerful would that make this handheld device which you can review and even edit these files and then even email them to other people?

Last edited:

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011

my friend uses his ipad 3 for sat nav lol N7 is a nice size and gps works just fine You can pre cache google maps on the device.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Well I find my mine is just fine thanks. I'll probably still by a Mini to play with though.

DreamSTi

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Twin Cities
I plan to replace my N7 with the mini. I bought the N7 when it was announced, the 16GB version. Now Google is going to sell a 32GB version for THE SAME PRICE, what 2 months later? That kind of stuff pisses me off.

Also, the N7's browser is FAR from smooth. I have had 3 of them, and I have friends who have them and there all the same. It's a good device, but comparing it to the over all quality of Apple's products is like comparing apples to oranges.

I would also be willing to bet the performance of the mini is the same if not better than the N7. Google still has a ways to go to compete with the fluidity of iOS.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Ok, Apple is now officially acknowledging that it's a greedy money hungry company. I'm sorry but if you pay 329 for a 16GB mini you've either got more money than common sense or are a complete moron. That's friggin rediculous. WOW!:mad:

You really expected this thing to be priced at or below an iPod Touch? Seriously?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm just doing what a lot of people out there are going to do and that is sit the details of the Nexus 7 and the iPad mini side and make an informed decision on that info. iOS isn't a selling point to me as i enjoy Android just as much, and looking at the 2 tablets in question the Nexus 7 wins. the iPad may be better built but that doesnt mean the Nexus is going to fall to bits. I wouldn't even blink at the £269/$329 price if i felt the device justified it.

Fair enough... but Apple didn't do anything unexpected from Apple. Also presume Apple will charge you more. (which was why $499 for the original iPad surprised so many)

I don't expect Apple to give me a "good deal" and I don't expect to survive if i walked into a pack of hungry Lions.

----------

You really expected this thing to be priced at or below an iPod Touch? Seriously?

I was hoping it would be around the price of a Nano... it only makes sense Mini is just slightly bigger/more than Nano in the Appleverse.

----------

I was gonna get one

and after doing alot more research

gonna get flamed for this.. but the Nexus 7 is a better tablet

For you maybe... I do want to get one too though. I've yet to own a real android tablet. Kindle doesn't count as a real one.

jarvijarv

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
SoCal

This. I, thought $329 was a bit too high until I realized the iPod Touch is priced at $299. So if you look at it by screen size, the iPad mini does fill in between the new iPod Touch and iPad. More choices! :D:apple:

justin216

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Tampa, FL
Price is reasonable for what you get as compared to the rest of their lineup. It may not be an ideal consumer price -- I think they should have taken less on their margin to hit a $299 price for the base model.

That said, I was planning to buy one even at $349, so a lower price is welcomed. I'm not looking at the iPad Mini for cost savings, I'm looking at it for a slightly smaller form-factor.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Actually, $249 would have been about right. Essentially, it's a smaller ipad 2. The competition has better products at $199, so....

Not true. People see a $199 price and figure they must be the same. Look and compare. Its not close. You want cheap junk, buy cheap junk. Same as PCs. You can buy something cheaper than a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.