Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
My PowerBook G4, with 1GB RAM, has been my main workstation for almost 3 years. Now it's been entirely problem free since day one.

I've edited tonnes of video and rendered many projects, i've worked on audio projects, photoshop projects, i've encoded DVDs left right and centre.

Since 10.4.9 + 10.4.10, my PowerBook seems to be stalling, lagging, slowing down and crashing alot more...

I know all about disk permissions, and verify and repair regularly, and I'm aware that I could do with more RAM. I begrudge putting more money into this G4.

Am I the only one who thinks Apple could be releasing updates, which are optimized more for Intel, so the PPC machines struggle, and the users feel the need to update to the newer machines? I'm sure alot of people with throw up at my theory, but let's be realistic, they want our £££/$$$

Please, no questions about the specs of my machine, i'm more interested in seeing if there is anyone out there who believes Apple would do that?

Rich.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Please... :rolleyes: Get a grip.

From the Tiger Oxford Dictionary: get a grip [usu. in imperative ] informal keep or recover one's self-control : get a grip, guys!

I understand the term, thanks.

Did you really have to respond in such an arrogant way though?

Rich.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
No, I do not believe Apple would do this. Not only because a frustrated consumer is more likely to look elsewhere when they need to buy a new computer, which seems to be the idea behind your question, but also because of countless liability issues so long it's not worth listing out. Plus that is really completely contrary to apple's overall philosophy.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
1. Sometimes the updates suck on some machines, and cause all sorts of problems for a small or large group of users.

2. The drive is on its way out, and it is timing of the update is coincidental.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Accusing Apple Of Deliberately Crippling PPC Macs Is Sacrilegious

I understand the term, thanks.

Did you really have to respond in such an arrogant way though?

Rich.
It wasn't meant to be arrogant but your post is one of the most cynical I have ever read here - plus to make it a new thread is just so outrageous I couldn't help myself. It makes ye appear to be a blasphemer sir. Do you not realize that Apple employees are among those with the highest ethical standards in the history of mankind? They are all above reproach when it comes to proper behavior. They can't even get hired without passing rigorous ethical background checks.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
No I do not believe Apple would do this. Not only because a frustrated consumer is more likely to look elsewhere when they need to buy a new computer, which seems to be the idea behind your question, but also because of of countless liability issues so long it's not worth listing out. Plus that is really completely contrary to apple's overall philosophy.

Thank you!

I suppose i'm feeling the G4 that's all. I'm considering a Mac Pro, as my PowerBook isn't very mobile these days, and for the money i'm going Mac Pro.

Thanks for your response.

Rich.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Why don't you roll back to 10.4.7 if that worked better? It might be a pain, but if there is a difference if productivity...

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
I've had a G4 Powerbook 15" now for 3 years and I've upgraded the ram to 1.5gb, a faster hd, and also the optical drive. i've just bought a 2.2 ghz MBP and I have to say that the PB still holds it's own. it's a very stable machine and when I have to use it, it doesn't feel slow to me, and most important it still feels good to use it (unlike when I "upgraded" from windows to mac os x on a g4, i hated using my old windows computer i got rid of it so fast!)

of course, when i do things that are processor intensive like encoding mpeg4, there is absolutely no comparison, the mbp is really, really fast.

the g4 was around a long time, and will continue to be around a few more years. I know you don't want to turn this conversation into talking about your specs but I know that when i upgraded the hd from 4200 it made a lot of difference...you know what, you might want to consider that your hd may be going bad, it went bad on my powerbook, and other than that my pb has been rock solid and in use everyday.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
It wasn't meant to be arrogant but your post is one of the most cynical I have ever read here - plus to make it a new thread is just so outrageous I couldn't help myself.

You're the kind of fanboy I was warned about!

Rich.

SPinc33

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2005
Yes, I agree that Apple wants our money and is pretty happy with shorter product life cycles. Fortunately they exploit this not by downgrading old products but by upgrading new ones and making some people feel like they have to have every new revision...

That said, I think it's a bit absurd to assume a direct ploy to slow down older systems. What happens is that software is inevitably designed for the newer hardware (ie using more RAM, widescreen iTunes store that annoys the hell out of me on my 12" Powerbook) and our older software just can't keep up after awhile.

That's my 2 cents...and it is a legitimate question, considering things like proprietary headphone jacks (iPhone, other mp3 players) and all the other little anti-consumer details that we often tend to look past.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
10.4.9 and 10.4.10 work fine on my G4 tower. You must have some coincidental hardware trouble. Re "get a grip", it was at best impolite. It was not responsive. Please be nice, folks.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
My PowerBook is also struggling with later Tiger builds, although I put that down to it only having 640MB RAM and a 32MB graphics card. I certainly haven't noticed any slowdown on my G5.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I've had a G4 Powerbook 15" now for 3 years and I've upgraded the ram to 1.5gb, a faster hd, and also the optical drive. i've just bought a 2.2 ghz MBP and I have to say that the PB still holds it's own. it's a very stable machine and when I have to use it, it doesn't feel slow to me, and most important it still feels good to use it (unlike when I "upgraded" from windows to mac os x on a g4, i hated using my old windows computer i got rid of it so fast!)

of course, when i do things that are processor intensive like encoding mpeg4, there is absolutely no comparison, the mbp is really, really fast.

the g4 was around a long time, and will continue to be around a few more years. I know you don't want to turn this conversation into talking about your specs but I know that when i upgraded the hd from 4200 it made a lot of difference...you know what, you might want to consider that your hd may be going bad, it went bad on my powerbook, and other than that my pb has been rock solid and in use everyday.

You see, I've never had a HD go out on me, but I suppose it's something I need to start considering. I have SmartdiskReporter running all the time, and the log is reading fine. I will keep an eye on the HD, i'm always backing up so i'm prepared at least.

Thanks,

Rich.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Not a snowballs

There is not anowballs chance in my home that Apple would do this. How many of us PPC user are still waiting for the right time to switch? Loads of us. Steve and Co are far to smart to annoy those of us waiting to switch. Multimedia response wasn't arrogant is was absolutely hilarious.

My old machine in my sig, has 1GB of RAM and has handled everything perfectly fine, infact every update has speed the old girl up a little. She now goes from pressing the power button to desktop in approximately 30 seconds. I think i've repaired permissions once in a year. Going by some of the moaning that happens here I do consider myself quite lucky. NAd she is fully loaded with apps - CS2 and the last macromedia suite of apps.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
My PowerBook is also struggling with later Tiger builds, although I put that down to it only having 640MB RAM and a 32MB graphics card. I certainly haven't noticed any slowdown on my G5.

Thanks for the input!

Are you going to upgrade the RAM on your machine?

Rich.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Thanks for the input!

Are you going to upgrade the RAM on your machine?

Rich.
Probably not now. It's over four years old, so it's good business to replace it soon for tax reasons. I'm holding out to see whether a smaller MBP arrives :)

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
If I Was Impolite The What Was He Accusing Apple Employees Of Deliberate Sabotage?

10.4.9 and 10.4.10 work fine on my G4 tower. You must have some coincidental hardware trouble. Re "get a grip", it was at best impolite. It was not responsive. Please be nice, folks.
OK if I was impolite to ask him to get a grip what was he insulting the entire Apple OS X development team plus Steve Jobs personally? If I'm a fanboy for defending their honor then I'll take it. Everyone who works for Apple couldn't be a better human being - EVERYONE.

iSaint

macrumors 603
There are those at MR who suggest a OS X reinstall will help in some situations. I assume you're doing what little maintenance OS X requires...? I only run Verify/Repair Permissions after a restart, which is only after a software update.

FWIW I have a 1.67 Powerbook with 2g RAM, and it runs like a dream. Granted I probably don't run the kind of stuff you do. I was just thinking how much I love my Powerbook!

SPinc33

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2005
forgot to mention...

my powerbook hasn't been "snappy" since I moved to 10.4 from 10.3. I know for me it's because of RAM and a full hard drive, but I don't have the cash to upgrade...

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
There is not anowballs chance in my home that Apple would do this. How many of us PPC user are still waiting for the right time to switch? Loads of us. Steve and Co are far to smart to annoy those of us waiting to switch.

Surely, if people are waiting to switch, and the latest software updates aren't optimised for their current hardware, they WILL switch.

I understand my theory/questioning may be a little hard to swallow, especially for some of you on here, but I think it was a valid question.

Rich.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
OK if I was impolite to ask him to get a grip what was he insulting the entire Apple OS X development team plus Steve Jobs personally?
He's speculating on an idea as a possibility. We all do it from time to time. Stop getting so defensive. It's not like he's dissing your mother.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
OK if I was impolite to ask him to get a grip what was he insulting the entire Apple OS X development team plus Steve Jobs personally? If I'm a fanboy for defending their honor then I'll take it. Everyone who works for Apple couldn't be a better human being - EVERYONE.

Oh god, you're sickening.

Rich.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.