Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
If they call the Aluminium MB a MBP they better get rid of the TN display. The 13” IPS in the MBA would work fine. :D

Yeah, you can dream. The air does not have an IPS screen, it's a TN. EVERY current MacBooks are TN anyway.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
The new iPhone specs sound nice if true.

I like the idea of having the unibody laptops all becoming MBPs and the plastic ones as MBs. Simplifies the lineup and makes it more clear.

This gives us:

- MPB 13, 15 & 17

- MB 13.

Then drop the price of the MB13 to $800-900. This allows for the MBPs to have a price drop as well and cleans up the MB/MBP lineup. The MBP would have dedicated graphics and FW.

juststranded

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2006
The rebeanding may sound off, but it's very possibly only because we dnt have all the details.

Perhaps they will just be bribing in a 13" Pro while bringing a new case and internals to a 10/11 and 12/13 inch regular Macbook.

It's definitely time for a 13" Pro at $1499.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Sorry dude, but what is the 'Pro' machine in your mind? :D

One that can display colours accurately. That cannot occur on a screen with such a glossy overlay. Dropping the matte option and then only adding it to the high-end model (for extra money if you want said option, might I add), was a terrible flaw on Apple's part. A 'pro' machine should be one that, appropriately, professionals use. I've attempted to produce graphics on my MBP that will look totally different on other screens because the colours suck that much (and it's not the other screens, it's the MBP - all the other computers I've looked at it on display it almost identically). It's literally just a high-end MacBook now, I see barely anything that makes it a 'pro' machine like the old model.

My $0.02.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Weird how this post is all about iPhone rumors with just one sentence on Macbook branding, but 90% of the conversation in the resulting thread is discussion of Macbooks

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
The rebeanding may sound off, but it's very possibly only because we dnt have all the details.

Perhaps they will just be bribing in a 13" Pro while bringing a new case and internals to a 10/11 and 12/13 inch regular Macbook.

Exactly.

Most of what I am saying is that, no way at the current specs or even slightly modified specs. Give the 13" "Pro"s a discreet card, and I'm all for it. Keep the MB's "consumer", and keep the MBP's "prosumer". This lineup would be great and make some good sense, even if it would be diluting the "Pro" name for all those hardcore BAMF Mac users :D

I'm also all for the poly MB's getting a price drop. As they are now, they are great machines, and even a $100 drop would draw in more people.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
One that can display colours accurately. That cannot occur on a screen with such a glossy overlay. Dropping the matte option and then only adding it to the high-end model (for extra money if you want said option, might I add), was a terrible flaw on Apple's part. A 'pro' machine should be one that, appropriately, professionals use. I've attempted to produce graphics on my MBP that will look totally different on other screens because the colours suck that much (and it's not the other screens, it's the MBP - all the other computers I've looked at it on display it almost identically). It's literally just a high-end MacBook now, I see barely anything that makes it a 'pro' machine like the old model.

My $0.02.

That is the direction Apple is moving, unfortunately. They assume that their bread is buttered more on the consumer side, and are therefore making the "Pro" monicker not mean what it used to. Shame that they cannot do like most EVERY other PC manufacturer and have a separate wing for business and industry. In a recession like this, the consumer spending is and will be dropping off, and Apple needs to realize that it's bread is probably much more so buttered on the side of Pro's (like yourself?) that have large budgets and require really, truly, PROFESSIONAL grade products. Heres hoping, man.

applevx

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
Change is good, but we need more...

Anyway, any change for MB / MBP will be good those days, and we all can get what we want for whatever tasks need to be done.

One thing always bother me constantly, which is the cooling system inside MB / MBP.

I guess you guys might have the similar questions too. I do a lot of 3D tasks in my MBP, and she became hotter and hotter in a very short time. I tried smcFanControl, external cooling fans, cooling pad, everything you name it. Finally, by some big and powerful fans blow the air under MBP, she chills down a little bit, which I can stand for (with annoying sound from the fans).

I am sorry to post this here, but all I want to know or all I want Apple to do is delivery a advanced cooling system in the Pro line machine, which can keep the machine cool effectively without extra noise, and that will be Pro done for us.

Maybe liquid cooling system will do some job. So, please surprise us Apple!
:apple::apple:

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America

I'd like to see something happen along these lines. If all the unibodies became Pros (and hopefully the 13" gets a dedicated GPU), then the plastic MacBooks need to drop to $799.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
Weird how this post is all about iPhone rumors with just one sentence on Macbook branding, but 90% of the conversation in the resulting thread is discussion of Macbooks

Because they're the exact same iPhone rumors we've heard half a dozen times. The MacBook bit is very odd though.

I'd like to see something happen along these lines. If all the unibodies became Pros (and hopefully the 13" gets a dedicated GPU), then the plastic MacBooks need to drop to $799.

This seems very likely actually. The current lineup is confusing and there were rumors earlier about them lowering the price of macbooks due to the economy or something, right?
Back in the day Pro=aluminum consumer=plastic and it was very easy to distinguish. I see this happening again, it just makes so much sense! But they would have to at least have a dedicated GPU as an option on the 13''

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Anyway, any change for MB / MBP will be good those days, and we all can get what we want for whatever tasks need to be done.

One thing always bother me constantly, which is the cooling system inside MB / MBP.

I guess you guys might have the similar questions too. I do a lot of 3D tasks in my MBP, and she became hotter and hotter in a very short time. I tried smcFanControl, external cooling fans, cooling pad, everything you name it. Finally, by some big and powerful fans blow the air under MBP, she chills down a little bit, which I can stand for (with annoying sound from the fans).

I am sorry to post this here, but all I want to know or all I want Apple to do is delivery a advanced cooling system in the Pro line machine, which can keep the machine cool effectively without extra noise, and that will be Pro done for us.

Maybe liquid cooling system will do some job. So, please surprise us Apple!
:apple::apple:

This may be heresy to the Mac gods, but god forbid Apple drop a little bit of the form over function idea and cut some bloody holes in the bottom. My friend's HP laptop has rear and bottom fans, and hotter CPU/GPU than my MB, yet still runs 5-10ºC cooler than mine. I never look at the bottom of my MB, and I would be all for some more fans on teh bottom to keep things cool. Maybe that would affect thickness, but still, I would rather have a cool machine than a pretty machine. Guess I should have gotten a PC lol :D

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Aluminum?

Is the new unibody 13" MacBook is now called MacBook Pro? That is silly I would expect that Apple will discontinue the plastic in the process. I'm just hoping that they will update iMac with Bluray drive. This makes me want to buy an iMac if that's the case. Crossing my finger now!

applevx

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
Is the new unibody 13" MacBook is now called MacBook Pro? That is silly I would expect that Apple will discontinue the plastic in the process. I'm just hoping that they will update iMac with Bluray drive. This makes me want to buy an iMac if that's the case. Crossing my finger now!

I don't think the name really matters as long as the spec doesn't change enough . So, why we focus on this little thing anyway?:D

Guess I should have gotten a PC lol :D

LOL, I like my Macbook Pro more than any other PC's design. And I just want my next Macbook Pro even closer to the real Pro laptop.:D

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
This rebranding thing... it's not happening!
It just dosnt fell like Apple.. unless Grubber's heard something on this basis but not "exactly" this!

hokullani

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2006
MacBook to MacBook Pro transition

Renaming the aluminum macbooks as macbooks pro makes a lot of sense. The $1600 Aluminum macbook basically acts like the 12" powerbook. It's close in power to the base MacBook pro just missing a dedicated video card. Apple could drop the $1300 aluminum model and make that the high end Macbook and turn the $1600 into a MacBook Pro. If they did that though I think it should get a FW800 if possible to bring it closer to the Macbook pro line. I hear all the time that people want a smaller macbook pro that they can take with them especially photo junkies who want it in the field with them to edit pictures on a small device. THis would also allow Apple to make something around a 10" Macbook without calling it a Macbook nano, that way the Macbook name remains part of the cheaper items. This would round out the macbook pro line nicely with a 13-17" offering.

What would be really interesting is a lower powered 15" MacBook to replace the $1600 model that will be moving to a MBP. More than anything i hear people wanting a 15" macbook but don't need the power of the MBP they just want the screen. THis could make things very interesting. It might cannibalize on the MBP section to add a 15" cheaper macbook but honestly people who need a MBP aren't going to go with an underpowered Macbook just because of the bigger screen, it is for older people who need a large screen (can't see as well) or for someone who just enjoys a larger screen when writing emails or just going online.

So you have the MacBooks being plastic? Seems a little strange as Apple touts the aluminum enclosure being so green, maybe green plastics will help.

Andruw91

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
Connecticut
The iphone specs (even though they are the same as in the past few rumors) please me. I'm glad I'm held out for the new iphone since November now. Glad to hear its also from a more credible source who was correct in the past.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
A 13" Macbook with a dedicated video card has been my dream laptop for a LONG time! This rumor has me more excited for the WWDC than anything I've read yet. Such a computer would be a Day One purchase for me!:D

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
Interesting article...rebranding; the only way I may see a rebrand of the MacBook/MacBook Pro is they shuffle down the base model of the current Alu MacBook (while getting rid of the poly white-macbook) and adding in a 13" MacBookPro (similar to the current high end MacBook 13; backlit keys, perhaps add an express slot, upgraded dedicated graphics, etc)

With similar specs, id love to pick up a 13" MBP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.