32GB iPhone 3G S or 2010 iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gershon, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Gershon macrumors member

Gershon

Should I use my money to get a white 32GB iPhone 3G S or save it for a 2010 high-end iPhone? Suggestions needed! Thanks ;)

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'm hoping the 2010 will be a bigger revision, so I'm going to skip the 3gs

3. veterator macrumors member

veterator

Keep waiting, next year's phone will usually be better.:D

If you have the money, and want it, get the iPhone 3GS when you can.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

You know if you wait until 2011 or 2012, you can get an even better iphone, but it's a good thing I don't believe in waiting or else I'd still have the original Zac Morris cell phone.

5. davyreins macrumors 6502

I currently have the same iPhone as you (OP) and I am going to wait. I don't need to upgrade for space and I can deal without the speed and other minor new features for now. I'd much rather wait for what, I am guessing, will be a change aesthetically as well as internally (instead of just the internal upgrades this year).

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Maybe you should skip 2010 and wait for the new phone that is projected to be released in 2011. :)

Seriously, there will always be a newer phone with better circuitry such as more storage, faster processor, better camera, etc.

Suggest that you get what you need now.

7. army91c macrumors 6502a

I'm due for upgrade in July.... I will trading up from my 16g 3g. I don't need 32g so I will be getting another 16g and sending this one off to my brother (who has my old 16g 2g... he hasn't paid for an iPhone yet :cool:) My wife is due for her up-grade in Feb 2010.... I will be getting the next (hopefully even more improved) iPhone with her upgrade and giving her my 3gs. I can then use my upgrade for the next one and so forth and so on.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are the features of the 3Gs that you want to use? If not, wait. Given the steep upgrade cost for 3G owners you need to determine if the features worth the high price. I opted get one, but I'm still on the fence to be perfectly honest.

The increased speed is one of the features I definitely can take advantage. I like using the mobile app logmein to control my computer from my iPhone and for that, faster is better. Plus the camera/video is a plus since I have kids. If you don't really care too much about either feature (or the other new features) wait for the next one.

9. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I'm waiting for iPhone 4.0. But my wife is upgrading to the 3GS. We alternate who gets a new phone every summer. I currently have the 3G and she currently has the 2G.

Unless you want a video camera or the other few additional options, the 3G with 3.0 should give you the feel of a new phone.

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

If a mod reads this, add a poll please.

I'm holding out for the 2010 iPhone. I want to see a bigger revision, with a cosmetic change.

11. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

I'm upgrading to the 3GS and then I'll be upgrading to the 2010 iPhone, 2011, etc. If you play your cards right you can sell your current 3G for what the 3GS costs.

12. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

13. gr8ful macrumors member

Buy now!

To me the changes to the 3G S are significant enough to justify not waiting: better camera w/ video, video editing capabilities, compass, 32G capacity, voice control, 2X faster, better battery life.

Also, think of all the cool apps that will be coming out in the next few months to take advantage of all the new features.

I view it like trading in a car. I buy what I want now and if something comes out later, I can always trade-in what I have (i.e. sell current iPhone on eBay) to off-set the cost of the next purchase. Only down side is that you have to deal with at&t on your contract issues.

14. Gershon thread starter macrumors member

Gershon

Thanks for all the comments. :D Pls continue contributing to this thread. BTW, is the back of the iPhone 3G S similar to the iPhone 3G or has it been tweaked a little? :confused:

15. FunkyTang macrumors regular

Never ever get a white one

16. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Personally, I'm waiting for the 2010 iPhone.

The 3Gs is nice ... but not blow $500 nice.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

18. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Letters are Shiny like the apple Logo.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think the one comming out in 2020 will be way better.
    Hold off for that one dude :D

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I'm waiting until 2010, mainly because I just got the 3G in February. I figure I'll wait and see what they have next year, if nothing then I can always get the 3Gs then.

21. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I'm holding out for the 2010 upgrade and hoping for an additional front facing camera for skype / isight - also 64GB of mem would be good.

:rolleyes::apple:

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

;)

23. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Admittedly the features on the new phone are not terribly compelling. However, the additional storage space is VERY compelling for those (like myself) with a lot of media.

I am very much looking forward to not only carting around a good chunk of my MP3 collection but also having enough room left over to put a GPS application on the phone and having room for some videos, etc.

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

Buy now!

Every year the iPhone gets better. The 3G S is way better than the 3G, and the 3G was way better than the original.

25. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

The nice thing about the iPhone is it maintains its value. I've sold my iPhone on eBay with every release and I've broken even (if not better) so the upgrading cost me nothing.