32Gb iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmh16, Aug 14, 2008.

1. bmh16 macrumors regular

When should we expect to see it? What timeframes? Is September too soon? And February too late? Holding out until a 32Gb model comes now and eagerly want to buy the iPhone 3G as I had been waiting a long time initially for the iPhone 3G!

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

2. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Probably not until 2009.
    I highly doubt there will be one next month.

3. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Only reason its not out yet is because of the price of a 32GB Flash drive is still expensive so i say early next year, maybe the same time they updated the MacBook's early this year.

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

5. aneftp macrumors 601

Like others have said, no 32GB iphone will be relesed into the 32GB flash memory goes down in price. Probably not until mid Q1 2009 if that. Remember that the iPhone only has one slot for flash memory. The ipod touch has 2 slots for flash memory (that's why there's a 32GB ipod touch).

In addition by the time Feb/March 2009 rolls around and there is an updated 32GB iphone 3g, many on this board will be asking when "the next generation iphone" will be released and the rumors cycles keep repeating itself over and over again.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm thinking more in the line of 2010 in Q1, at the earliest...

7. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I'm think you should follow Steve's advice....If you wait for the perfect gadget to buy, you'll never buy anything. Just buy the 16G already. LOL :D

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Right? This isn't like buying a movie...If the device fits your needs and you want one, get it. Waiting for the "next hot thing"=never buying anything.

9. FaustArp macrumors regular

FaustArp

just putting it out there but seriously.. its a phone. If you want all this room buy the ipod touch. Noone honestly needs that room for their stuff.. you get plenty of music on their and a good choice of movies and apps arent even that big. I have the 16GB and I completely happy with it. Lets end it with hearing about the 32GB.. noone really cares. It's an iPhone either way and it ****ing sweet! :D

10. bmh16 thread starter macrumors regular

I've got an 16Gb iPod Touch. I've got 20Gb of music and hate manual syncing. That's why i want 32Gb and 32Gb only. Besides i'm waiting for PAYG on O2 so as i'm waiting for that i may as well wait for 32Gb too. I'm not updating like many after a few months for small reasons.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Then you'll be waiting a while, possibly until next year. That's all there is to it.

12. georgeoommen macrumors regular

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It really bugs me when people say this...I mean, I know my 45 GB of music is a lot compared to some, and I may not love every song I have on there, but that doesn't mean I don't want to carry it all on me. I'm also not saying that I don't love my 16 GB 3G, and it suits my needs for the most part, but I'd say I actively listen to about 20/30 GB of my music, which isn't cutting it in the storage department (2334 Songs, 0 Videoa, 397 Photos, 767 MB free). It's fine if it's not your cup of tea, but don't assume that others are being unreasonable by wanting to carry this much music around with them.

To the OP - It's really a question of when this will happen, but given the space required for the various radios, it could be a while.

14. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

With simplify media, most of us won't need that 32gb iPhone.

15. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I've got a couple of things to say regarding this issue. It's no longer an issue. There is an App in the store that lets you access your iTunes library on the go over the internet. Capacity is no longer an issue. I can listen to whatever song out of my 450GB library on my 16GB iPhone. So go buy one! Idk what affect this will have on a 32GB iPhone, but my prediction is 0800 10 Jul 2009! :eek:

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Well, the current 16gb iPhone costs the same as the current 32gb iPod touch (299$ + 200$ subsidy on the phone vs 499$ iPod touch). So I think we will see a 399$ (with subsidy) Iphone maybe halfway between now and the release of the next iPhone, so maybe macworld 09 I would say.

17. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

16GB iPhone came out in February, I bought our 16GB the day they came out. Look for the 32GB at the same time a couple of days after the Keynote in Jan. Oh and that bastard Jobbs will say nothing about it at the keynote. I bought 8GB phones right after the keynote this year and I returned them 9 days after because the 16GB came out. Steve is gangster.

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Think there was a mention somewhere of when the single layer 32GB flash chip would show.

Quite a few hacked multiple chips stacked in single package 32GB versions floating around.

19. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Look at the bright side, I don't know of ANY phone that has 8GB or 16GB. Most require Micro-SD cards to even do any storage.

Also the way this backup and restore thing is with the iPhone 3G, I can't imagine having to keep restoring 32GB!!! My 16GB takes long enough.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

When will a 64GB Touch appear?

The iPhone has one memory slot. The Touch has two.

So we will probably see the iPhone go to 32GB when the Touch goes to 64GB.

Very true.

:)

And someday you will have 40GB of music and will need a larger iPhone. ;)

As some have said, maybe MWSF. Don't think we'll see it by September or before the holidays.

That's fine, but you will have to wait a while before you will be able to put this amount of music on the iPhone. So you have two choices:

A. Wait until there is a 64GB version of the iPhone.

B. Manually sync with a 16GB model.

Also, there is an app called Simplify Media that allows you to stream from your Mac/PC at home to your iPhone. This would be a solution as long as you have reception. For many of us, this won't work because of reception issues.

IMHO, I would rather have a few songs that I can listen to very clearly without any static or interruption.

21. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

okay...

What app?

22. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I couldnt have said this better myself!:D

Thanks!

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

As I mentioned in my post above, the app is call Simplify Media.

24. Roller macrumors 68020

I don't think it's going to take as long as some suggest. Toshiba recently announced a 32GB flash module that doesn't take up more space than the 16GB one. Bulk shipments are expected this fall. So it's possible that we could see a 32GB iPhone before Christmas or early in '09.

And, for those who question the need for >16GB, I say that the ability to store and view documents on the iPhone (thanks to apps like DataCase) has changed the playing field. For example, I'd love to be able to carry Keynote and PowerPoint presentations on my iPhone, but many of them are hundreds of MB in size.