Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I'm thinking more in the line of 2010 in Q1, at the earliest...

That's funny. There will definitely be a 32GB iPhone before 2010 (by 2010 we will see a 4G iPhone with video conferencing, etc). The real question is if Apple can introduce in Q4 of 2008 or if it will be part of a spring 2009 refresh.

Remember that the same people saying things like "late 2009" or "2010" are the same geniuses who predicted we wouldn't see a 32GB iPod Touch until the end of 2009.

Apple pays nothing close to regular supplier prices for memory as they are the biggest purchaser of flash in the world. If wholesale price on the new 32GB Toshiba chip is $175 then Apple probably pays $85 by contract... maybe less.

Many people are still holding off for more storage, and Apple knows this. They will want to harvest those consumers as quickly as possible before Android and other platforms try to put a damper on their sales. I know that I am holding out for 32GB, otherwise I won't get 2 yrs of use out of the device, I'm already maxxed on my 16GB Touch and I don't even have any 3rd party apps installed.

dancavallaro

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
That's funny. There will definitely be a 32GB iPhone before 2010 (by 2010 we will see a 4G iPhone with video conferencing, etc). The real question is if Apple can introduce in Q4 of 2008 or if it will be part of a spring 2009 refresh.

We may see a third iteration of the iPhone by then, but it will be a lot longer before we're seeing actual 4G phones. Look up the timeline of 4G network development in the U.S. - it's going to be a while before the cell providers have fully rolled out 4G.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
We may see a third iteration of the iPhone by then, but it will be a lot longer before we're seeing actual 4G phones. Look up the timeline of 4G network development in the U.S. - it's going to be a while before the cell providers have fully rolled out 4G.

True, but you know what I mean... we will see a completely new iPhone by 2010. Apple has never waited more than 18-24 months to introduce a completely new iteration of a successful product. Even the lackluster Apple TV got a revamp in 12 months.

I remember a few years ago when people were saying we would never see iPods with hard drives bigger than 40GB because it was simply ludicrous that anyone would need that much space.

I tend to put claims of multi-year delays for a storage capacity increase of ANY device in the same absurd category, usually made by a high school or college student who blew their wad on the current version of the product and simply convinces themselves it will never get better.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I'm holding out for a 64gb iphone next summer. I know its gonna happen!

That would be pretty ambitious. The iPhone only has a single memory slot, and there are currently no 64GB modules in production.

There are however 32GB modules going into production now, from Toshiba, so it's likely that the iPhone will get a 32GB cap bump in the next 3-6 months.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've got a couple of things to say regarding this issue. It's no longer an issue. There is an App in the store that lets you access your iTunes library on the go over the internet. Capacity is no longer an issue. I can listen to whatever song out of my 450GB library on my 16GB iPhone. So go buy one! Idk what affect this will have on a 32GB iPhone, but my prediction is 0800 10 Jul 2009! :eek:

Simplify Media has a couple of serious shortcomings that make it pretty useless IMO (not necessarily the developer's fault but more to do with how SDK Apps have to work).

Firstly it (obviously) doesn't work in the background, so no music whilst you browse, etc
Secondly, DRM protected files aren't streamed
Thirdly, the interface is horrible
Fourthly, it's slow over anything except a fast wifi connection
Fifthly, it's music only - no movies, TV Shows or music videos

It may be a decent novelty, but it in no way can replace real storage in the phone, at least for me

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
Word has it that Apple will release the 64GB iPod touch this September. If that is the case, I would not be surprised to see the 32GB iPhone at the same time. Like others said, the iPod touch can accommodate two SSD chips; the iPhone can accommodate one.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
Simplify Media has a couple of serious shortcomings that make it pretty useless IMO (not necessarily the developer's fault but more to do with how SDK Apps have to work).

Firstly it (obviously) doesn't work in the background, so no music whilst you browse, etc

It may be a decent novelty, but it in no way can replace real storage in the phone, at least for me

We can hope they fix it. However, this is a phone. I don't mind shifting around music. I have the 16GB and think it's plenty.:D

Stuart in Oz

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
It really bugs me when people say this...I mean, I know my 45 GB of music is a lot compared to some, and I may not love every song I have on there, but that doesn't mean I don't want to carry it all on me. I'm also not saying that I don't love my 16 GB 3G, and it suits my needs for the most part, but I'd say I actively listen to about 20/30 GB of my music, which isn't cutting it in the storage department (2334 Songs, 0 Videoa, 397 Photos, 767 MB free). It's fine if it's not your cup of tea, but don't assume that others are being unreasonable by wanting to carry this much music around with them.

Yup, agree completely. The whole point of iPods was that you could carry all your music around in your pocket and never have to worry about what to leave at home - that was Steve's stated purpose way back at the original iPod intro!

Having to manually sync stuff, to me, defeats the entire purpose of an iPod in the first place. I just couldn't bring myself to buy an iPod that couldn't handle my entire collection.

Remember that the same people saying things like "late 2009" or "2010" are the same geniuses who predicted we wouldn't see a 32GB iPod Touch until the end of 2009.

Apple pays nothing close to regular supplier prices for memory as they are the biggest purchaser of flash in the world. If wholesale price on the new 32GB Toshiba chip is $175 then Apple probably pays $85 by contract... maybe less.

Many people are still holding off for more storage, and Apple knows this. They will want to harvest those consumers as quickly as possible before Android and other platforms try to put a damper on their sales. I know that I am holding out for 32GB, otherwise I won't get 2 yrs of use out of the device, I'm already maxxed on my 16GB Touch and I don't even have any 3rd party apps installed.

Absolutely! My 16 GB Touch is almost full with my music and one or two podcasts - I'm always wishing I had more. I do want an iPhone but I have to have 32GB and I'll wait - even though it kills me!

Please god they offer it in September, although certainly the reports about 32GB chips suggest early 09 is more likely. :(

archesdevil

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
I have over 10,000 songs in iTunes, all Lossless. Somehow, I am able to widdle my favz down to 14GB. I don't need all my music all the time. The battery will die long before I could possibly listen to all my music on my 16GB iPhone.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
For crying out loud, this is a phone, not an iPod. If you want to carry all of your music, then buy an iPod. The iPhone is not an iPod replacement. It's a phone. :p

:rolleyes:

Right. That's why when the iPhone was launched Steve Jobs said "and, this is the best, most powerful iPod we've ever created".

Should people carry an iPhone as well as an iPod so that they can have more of their media with them?

It's inevitable that the iPhone will have an increasingly large capacity. I would expect to see 64GB within 2 yrs.

Many of these same tired arguments were made when people were clamoring for 30 and 40GB iPods... "why do you need to carry all of your stuff around, that's what your PC is for", etc, etc, blah blah.

FaustArp

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
It really bugs me when people say this...I mean, I know my 45 GB of music is a lot compared to some, and I may not love every song I have on there, but that doesn't mean I don't want to carry it all on me. I'm also not saying that I don't love my 16 GB 3G, and it suits my needs for the most part, but I'd say I actively listen to about 20/30 GB of my music, which isn't cutting it in the storage department (2334 Songs, 0 Videoa, 397 Photos, 767 MB free). It's fine if it's not your cup of tea, but don't assume that others are being unreasonable by wanting to carry this much music around with them.

To the OP - It's really a question of when this will happen, but given the space required for the various radios, it could be a while.

it.... bugs me to hear people talk about 32GB. Simplify media is out so it solves this whole issue. Trust me, I have over 300GB of music but it really doesn't bother me to have it all on at once. Im sure buying an ipod classic will do the job

FaustArp

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
P.S- I know that when 32GB comes out for everyone it's still not going to please anyone. Might as well just wait till new technology comes out for infinite storage..

Toadkillerdog

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
For crying out loud, this is a phone, not an iPod. If you want to carry all of your music, then buy an iPod. The iPhone is not an iPod replacement. It's a phone. :p

How annoying to hear this simple drivel over and over again. It IS an iPod AND a phone. It IS a converged device and that is why I bought it so as not to lug around an iPod and a separate phone.

Meanwhile, I'm happy with 16gb, but will upgrade to a 32gb iPhone immediately when it is available.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
How annoying to hear this simple drivel over and over again. It IS an iPod AND a phone. It IS a converged device and that is why I bought it so as not to lug around an iPod and a separate phone.

Meanwhile, I'm happy with 16gb, but will upgrade to a 32gb iPhone immediately when it is available.

I agree...as does Apple, as Jobs (and other Apple execs) have stated that, "the iphone is the best ipod we have ever made."

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I don't think it's going to take as long as some suggest. Toshiba recently announced a 32GB flash module that doesn't take up more space than the 16GB one. Bulk shipments are expected this fall. So it's possible that we could see a 32GB iPhone before Christmas or early in '09.

Indeed. Given the Touch seems quite likely to get it's updates on September 9th, that may well be when it jumps to 64GB using two 32GB chips.

Given that, it would be reasonable to assume the iPhone will make the jump at the same time...

Phazer

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

And of course it means you have to leave your machine at home on 24/7 using up electricity to act as a server. And hope you never go underground (such as on the tube during a work commute).

Phazer

john316

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Indeed. Given the Touch seems quite likely to get it's updates on September 9th, that may well be when it jumps to 64GB using two 32GB chips.

Given that, it would be reasonable to assume the iPhone will make the jump at the same time...

Phazer

No chance they'll upgrade the iPhone capacities next month - earliest will be January I reckon.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Not saying 32GB wouldn't be nice, but I was super happy to go from 8GB to 16GB. I've got younger kids, so being able to keep a couple of kid movies on my phone in case they get rowdy at a restaurant or some other place is a huge help. Now I can keep kid flicks, a movie or two for me, a couple of TV episodes and a decent amount of music. Plus, I use Datacase and I've got plenty of storage for documents.

I'm way happy with 16GB and still have ~3GB free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.